Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 3rd, 2009, 08:31 PM
-

FDA approves cancer drug for dogs‏

Someone who knows that I lost 2 , of my 3 goldens , to cancer , e-mailed me this today :

FDA approves cancer drug for dogsPalladia OK'd to treat a common canine skin tumorsThe Associated Pressupdated 11:18 a.m. ET, Wed., June 3, 2009 WASHINGTON - The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has approved the first drug made specifically to treat cancer in dogs. Until now, all cancer drugs used in veterinary medicine were developed for use in humans and were not specifically approved for animals. Federal law allows veterinarians to administer cancer medicines and other human treatments under controlled circumstances. The new drug, Palladia, manufactured by Pfizer Animal Health Inc., has been approved to treat a type of cancer that accounts for about one in five cases of canine skin tumors. Canine cutaneous mast cell tumors - the cancer in question - can appear small and insignificant when dogs have them, but while some are easily removed, others can lead to life-threatening disease, according to the FDA. "This cancer drug approval for dogs is an important step forward for veterinary medicine," Bernadette Dunham, director of FDA's center for veterinary medicine, said in a statement Wednesday. "Prior to this approval, veterinarians had to rely on human oncology drugs, without knowledge of how safe or effective they would be for dogs," Dunham said. "Today's approval offers dog owners, in consultation with their veterinarian, an option for treatment of their dog's cancer." Palladia is a tyrosine kinase inhibitor that works by killing tumor cells and cutting off blood supply to the tumor. Common side effects include diarrhea, decrease or loss of appetite, lameness, weight loss and blood in the stool. Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31084765/
Old June 3rd, 2009, 09:25 PM
Kitty pimp

great news eh?
Old June 3rd, 2009, 09:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Finally, something that is made special for our pets. I really hope that i never have to use it though.