Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 3rd, 2001, 08:40 PM
Administrator

Arrow

Question:

pets.ca,

My 10-year-old cat vomited for most of one day. By the time she stopped she had nothing left in her stomach and was just vomiting clear liquid. It has now been 24 hours since the vomiting stopped, but she seems exhausted (probably dehydrated) and is just lying down unwilling or unable to eat or drink. As I don't think she can get her strength back without food and water, what can I do to get her to eat or drink? She is still able to walk and purrs when petted.

Answer:

HI, THIS IS AN EMERGENCY SITUATION YOU ARE WRITING ABOUT. YOU MUST TAKE YOUR PET TO THE VET ASAP.

If this were my pet I'd bring her to an emergency animal hospital. Cats purr even when they are sick or injured, and your cat is sick. She should be immediately rehydrated and examined by a vet.

Good Luck!

Marko
Co-Webmaster of pets.ca

Old May 3rd, 2001, 08:40 PM
Administrator

Cool Response from questioner (by e-mail)

Response from questioner

Thank you for your quick response to my message. I took my cat to the vet this morning where they immediately put her on an IV drip and will be keeping her for feeding and tests for the next 48 hrs.

Your fast response was very appreciated.
Old September 22nd, 2003, 06:42 PM

Unhappy

My cat kitty , is six months old . For the past four days has been throwing up and will only sip water . He cryes out when you pick him up or touch him anywhere around his stomache . At this moment we don't have much money and we are living in a shelter.
Can you give us any information about what we can do, or where we can go for care at minimum cost? :confused: :(
Old August 25th, 2007, 11:47 AM

Unhappy

HELP!!! My cat is 8 years old and shes been vomitting a lot. She hasnt been herself lately. And she is very week and barley moves. I tried to give her milk and she would not drink it. So i gave it to her in a tube and she drank a little. The vet is not opened today and i called yesturday and they said that my cat can come in on Tuesday. Will she be ok by then? And what should i do until then?! Please Help!!!
Old August 25th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatLover711 View Post
HELP!!! My cat is 8 years old and shes been vomitting a lot. She hasnt been herself lately. And she is very week and barley moves. I tried to give her milk and she would not drink it. So i gave it to her in a tube and she drank a little. The vet is not opened today and i called yesturday and they said that my cat can come in on Tuesday. Will she be ok by then? And what should i do until then?! Please Help!!!
First let me say Get a NEW vet! Most vets will take an animal that is vomiting right away. Why don't you try a ER Vet Hospital. Your cat NEEDS to see a VET TODAY not on Tuesday.

PS...DO NOT feed Cats milk. It can give them Diarria. Which will lead to dehyration...she is probably already dehyrated since she was vomiting. She will proabably have to be on IV fliuds.

ACO22
Old August 25th, 2007, 11:58 AM
-

I agree....find an emergency vet NOW. Your cat will not be okay until Tuesday. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old August 25th, 2007, 12:48 PM

Unhappy

Thank you! But the thing is.. No one can drive us to the emergency room. My mom left today to go to California, My dad cant drive because he was just in the hospital! I dont know what to do im so scared. I love my cat so much and i dont know what i would do without her. And we dont have money for the vet either. Idk what to do!!!
Old August 25th, 2007, 12:57 PM
-

THIS is an emergency.......ask a friend or neighbour to take you or take a taxi.
Old August 25th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Can you not ask a neighbour to take you? Borrow the money? Have you talked to your dad about this? Does he know how serious this is?
I'm afraid your cat will only get worse without a vet.
Old August 25th, 2007, 04:21 PM

Unhappy

I just came back from the animal hospital. We dont have the money. We only have $200 and its $400 to $700. She might die. We are giving her water and food every four hours. And keeping her warm because she has a cold. God, Please help. Theres Hope.:sad:
Old August 25th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Kitty pimp

Well good luck and tell your parents what is happening please.
They may be able to wire you some money.
Old August 25th, 2007, 06:25 PM
-

This morning you said she was vomitting a lot and now you're feeding her every four hours? Is she still vomitting?
Old August 25th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm sorry, I don't believe those prices.
Is your town so small that it doesn't have more than one vet? A vet who would take payments instead of the whole amount up front?
Do you not have friends who could help you?
Please DON'T give her any medicine you might have in the house, such as asprin or tylenol or pepto bismol, it would probably kill her.

Last edited by badger; August 25th, 2007 at 06:29 PM.
Old August 25th, 2007, 06:36 PM

Unhappy

My Cat is not vomitting food, she is vomitting liquid. And yes the prices are horrible ,they have to do a lot of tests on her but we dont have the money. and vets arent open on satturdays. And my cat hasnt been eating. So the doctors told us to force her to eat and drink every 4 hours. Please pray for her.
Old August 25th, 2007, 06:39 PM
-

I can't believe a vet would tell you to force feed a cat that is vomitting.
Old August 25th, 2007, 07:12 PM

she hasnt been vomitting in 2 days, and she hasnt been eating since 4 days so we HAVE to feed her.

God please help my cat.
Old August 26th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Senior Contributor

I would try to contact a different vet. You don't want you cat to die suffering or in pain. There is a doctor on here. I believe Dr. Lee. I would Pm him and see what he says, till you can get your cat to a different vet.

ACO22
Old August 26th, 2007, 09:53 AM

My Cat.... died.

Well, Thank you to everyone that tried to help me, I appreciate it...

Your in a better place now. God will take care of you.
Old August 26th, 2007, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguelady View Post
My cat kitty , is six months old . For the past four days has been throwing up and will only sip water . He cryes out when you pick him up or touch him anywhere around his stomache . At this moment we don't have much money and we are living in a shelter.
Can you give us any information about what we can do, or where we can go for care at minimum cost?
Some cities have their own clinics to spay and neuter cats at a discounted rate, and your cat is at the right age, they will give your cat a exam at that time and hopefully can tell you what's up with him. I would make an appointment ASAP.
Old August 26th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHDrolet View Post
Some cities have their own clinics to spay and neuter cats at a discounted rate, and your cat is at the right age, they will give your cat a exam at that time and hopefully can tell you what's up with him. I would make an appointment ASAP.
This poster that you are replying to..was back in 2003.

ACO22
Old July 4th, 2009, 08:12 AM

Unhappy help!

ok a cat from the area has hobbled in to steal my cats food as usual .. but its front leg keeps giving way underneath it it is in poor shape but eats like a pig .. i have no money to take it to a vet and do not know who owns the cat tryed to find out for years as its been eating here what should i do ..as i said it is eating seems fine lieing down if u stroke him he moves away which is unlike him he has always been more than friendly his leg is not broken im sure <<checked on my cat who is alot younger and doesnt mind its the front right joint above the wrist that they fold under when they sit sometimes
Old July 4th, 2009, 08:21 AM

help

for now im gonna let him rest and hope its just a strength issue and he regains enough to wander home
Old July 4th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

I think you should contact your local SPCA to come pick him up. If he's hurt then hoping his owners find him really isn't a good solution. For the best interests of the cat he needs medical attention, which the SPCA can provide.
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl