Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Lost & Found (Pls include a pic if possible & write location in TITLE)

Old March 24th, 2009, 07:58 PM

lost cat Woodstock ON area

calico with black dot on her nose foster cat used to indoors missing since late March 22nd/or early 23rd. so far posted signs,asked neighbours, left food out.
any sightings would be appreciated. timid but friendly cat.
Bay St, between Main and Peel, near Victoria. Didn't see when but think she was let out by a neighbour. Her picture is posted on www.arfontario.com/adoptions/cats:Ruby

Last edited by Missingkitty; March 24th, 2009 at 10:20 PM.
Old March 24th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Which area of Woodstock? I'm originally from there and my parents still live there. I'll tell them to keep their eyes peeled.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old March 24th, 2009, 09:00 PM

I'm in Woodstock. What area did she going missing?
Old March 25th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Senior Contributor

You can leave out tuna or salmon. Also talk to neighbours, call you local animal control which is

http://www.city.woodstock.on.ca/inde...nts&Itemid=176

here is more info about hillside Kennels.

http://haldimand.cioc.ca/details.asp?RSN=17665&Number=2

I don't know much about Hillside Kennels and how they operate?

ACO22
Old March 25th, 2009, 08:29 AM

have talked to neighbours. left food, think it was eaten by other area cats. called animal control,confirmed they would call back if they pick up a cat fitting this description. I've heard that some animal control agencies won't give info over the phone but when I called back she read back what I'd told her the day before.
Oxford County Animal Shelter now closed, but I emailed them anyway in case someone still checking.
Old March 25th, 2009, 12:21 PM

That is in my area. I will watch for her. I have 2 strays that come around and have been feeding for several months so I know neither one is her. You cannot rely on animal control to call you. It's better to go out there and check. I walk that area every night and did not see any signs posted. Maybe someone tore them down? That cat also looks like the one that went missing last year.

Last edited by Cathy1; March 25th, 2009 at 12:39 PM.
Old March 25th, 2009, 01:01 PM

We've had her for close to 2 months.originally from rural/Strathroy area per vet record.It was very windy yesterday so I didn't put a lot up,today raining off and on.Spent majority of time searching and calling for her, showing her picture when possible.
Old March 25th, 2009, 01:08 PM

I'll keep looking especially down by the train tracks. There are quite a few cats down there sometimes. I hope she's found soon.
Old March 25th, 2009, 05:50 PM

Since it's not in keeping with her personality to run off, and no one saw her get out, I'm focussing on inside toninght. Especially the basement. Had service call on the furnace to check the ducts, not there. He did say though they've found cat's that way before, sometimes up to a year or so after they went missing.
Old March 26th, 2009, 12:26 PM

still no sign of her. tried leaving dirty laundry on the porch in hopes she'll smell it. distraught there's still no sign of her. went to animal control but they were closed. feeling better about how animal control in this area works though after today's call.
Old March 26th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingkitty View Post
still no sign of her. tried leaving dirty laundry on the porch in hopes she'll smell it. distraught there's still no sign of her. went to animal control but they were closed. feeling better about how animal control in this area works though after today's call.
Huh? I am confused. First of all, animal control is 24/7. Most counties, towns, and cities have it. And how can you be feeling better if in fact it was closesd. That a organization that is about animal protection and wel-fare is not opened 24 hours, 7 days a week.

ACO22
Old March 26th, 2009, 07:52 PM

then I guess that's 24/7 for pick-up. But their actual business was clearly closed, with a no trespassing sign.Anyway I guess I won't bother with this forum anymore. I was looking for ideas/support, not negativity.

Last edited by Missingkitty; March 26th, 2009 at 07:59 PM. Reason: angry at AC022-ANIMAL CONTROL OFFICER EXTRAORDINAIRE
Old March 26th, 2009, 08:29 PM

They are open 24/7 but they always want you to call first. I got my first dog there and the guy was in the kennel but was quite mad that we didn't call first. I thought they might have changed because new owners took over.
I searched twice today but didn't see her. I will keep looking.
Old March 29th, 2009, 05:53 PM

Thanks. I think the next step is an outdoor trap.I sure I'll trap something.
Old April 12th, 2009, 08:45 AM

trapping a stray

Has anyone had success trapping a cat in the city? Mine used to be a stray, and doesn't seem interested in coming back in the house. I've seen her once, the neighbours have seen her a few times. She seems to be coming for food, but runs away if anyone approaches her. I think I have a Havahart trap, the kind where you put food on the trip mechanism to trigger the spring-loaded door.
The first night, an animal managed to get the food without getting caught. The trap was partially covered with a sheet. Last night, it was covered with a blanket, with a thin layer of newspaper covering the bottom, and bits of salmon and catnip leading to the back of the trap with a bit extra on the metal plate.
I think maybe the rod wasn't far enough up because I checked it a couple of times and the door was shut with no cat. I moved the rod out a bit and have been consistently checking the trap every 2 hours from when I put it out at 8pm till morning. The last time when I brought it in, it looked like the blanket had been tampered with, and the door shut.
Old April 12th, 2009, 08:46 AM

animal control

Also, still no response from animal control. I was advised to call every few days, they do not call back. I asked about renting a trap before I got the one I have now and no response.
Old April 12th, 2009, 10:11 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Has anyone had success trapping a cat in the city? Mine used to be a stray, and doesn't seem interested in coming back in the house. I've seen her once, the neighbours have seen her a few times. She seems to be coming for food, but runs away if anyone approaches her. I think I have a Havahart trap, the kind where you put food on the trip mechanism to trigger the spring-loaded door.
The first night, an animal managed to get the food without getting caught. The trap was partially covered with a sheet. Last night, it was covered with a blanket, with a thin layer of newspaper covering the bottom, and bits of salmon and catnip leading to the back of the trap with a bit extra on the metal plate.
I think maybe the rod wasn't far enough up because I checked it a couple of times and the door was shut with no cat. I moved the rod out a bit and have been consistently checking the trap every 2 hours from when I put it out at 8pm till morning. The last time when I brought it in, it looked like the blanket had been tampered with, and the door shut.

Is the trap on a very flat surface? It can be sprung very easily if it isn't sitting flat. Covering it with a blanket is great! If the trap is being sprung without catching anything you could try putting the bait under the plate, not on it. This makes the animal (hopefully cat) go to the back part of the trap to get the food. Once there they are more apt to trip it.
Do you have the Havahart that has the long rod you can adjust? I had that style too for quite a while. My neighbour finally claimed it back. I recently bought one that is hooked on the top and the rod is attached to it. I haven't had a chance to try it yet but practicing with it it seems to work as well. Maybe you can make it that the rod is just barely set. Hair trigger kind of thing.
I would think you have a very smart kitty if it is indeed her that is setting it off.
One more thing. Don't bait it too heavily with food leading to it as by the time they make it back far enough they just might not be very hungry to go after the rest.
Old April 12th, 2009, 10:22 AM

I am still keeping my eyes open for your cat but have not seen her myself. I just trapped one of the strays last Monday that I was feeding with one of those traps that 14+ Kitties mentioned the one that is hooked on the top and the rod is attached to it, and had no problem. I tested it by lightly touching it with a stick and it snapped shut. I put it out on the front step on Sunday but didn't set it so she would get used to it being there and feel comfortable going inside to eat, then on Monday I set it and she came up and went in and it closed. She turned out to be pregnant. The male stray was sitting there when she got caught and wasn't even worried about it and I was able to pick him up and put him in the carrier without a fight. I ended up paying $150 for a trap because animal control would not lend me one. Their exact words were " We are not going to give you a trap to catch a stray then you take the stray out and give us an empty trap. It's our job to catch strays and find permanant homes for them." Your case might be different.
It may not be that easy with all cats because I had one that would not go in the trap even if he was hungry and had to have lots of time and patience trying to get the cat to trust me enough to pick him up.

Just a warning we have atleast 4 racoons living in that burnt out house that have also been getting into the cat food so they may also be setting the trap. I watched one go part way into the trap and feel around with their front feet and set the trap off but he was not fully inside and was able to back out of the trap. Now that we are not putting out food they might being going to your place.

Last edited by Cathy1; April 12th, 2009 at 10:40 AM.
Old April 12th, 2009, 11:41 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

And people think racoons are stupid! Pretty smart if you ask me.
Sounds to me if that's what is going on that it is coons getting the food. :sad: Cats don't normally tamper with the blanket covering the trap.

Is there another spot you can put the trap Missingkitty? Somewhere she may be a bit more familiar with? Are there sheds around she may be hiding out in/under? What direction did you and your neighbour see the kitty coming from? That may help a little too to track her down. Are you going out very early in the morning? Or late in the evening when it is quiet? Taking a flashlight and walking the area and calling her, maybe take a bag of Temptations or her favourite treat along, shaking it, might be enough to bring her out of hiding. It sounds like she isn't that far away from you if she has been spotted.

Your animal control sounds like the one from where I lived for 26 years. Only open to the public for a couple of days a week. No one helps. If you called you got the answering machine and they MIGHT get back to you. I don't know if the family that ran it is still there or not. I am really hoping they aren't.
Old April 12th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree 14Kitties. So many people think raccoons are stupid. When in fact they are extremely intelligent. I always tell people when I am out on a sick/injured raccoon call at work I always let know "In fact, raccoons are so intelligent, that their IQ is right below the monkey. Some are surpised, while others are just rude and don't cares what happens to the raccoon. They just want it off their property. You have to hate the araggrance. Just total disrepecting disregrard for wildlife.

In fact, here in the city we have a duck, a big white duck about the size of the canadian goose that, they chill together. It's like if they can get along, why can't we get along. As in people just have so much hate towards wildlife.

ACO22
Old April 13th, 2009, 12:05 PM

persuading my cat (a foster) to come back

The trap was soaked in beef stew before I got it, and I've used salmon and salmon combined with catnip for bait. I've tried leaving the bottom bare and covering with thin newspaper. Tonight I'll put the bait under the plate, but I thought maybe I'd try just putting food out if she won't go near the trap.
Is it the black male and tortoiseshell that you trapped? I haven't seen them around for a few days. I think I saw a raccoon the other night, but it must have been young. My in-laws in the country have neighbours that feed the raccoons which they complain do a lot of damage to property, except when they overpopulate the frog population gets depleted and the cycle starts over again. The porch is flat and I've put the trap there because that's the only place I saw her. One neighbour was on our porch, another saw her next door on her lawn. There's also a picture of her posted on olx.ca/woodstock/lost and found. I'm almost at the point of testing the trap with one of our cats...but that wouldn't be fair!
Old April 13th, 2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Is it the black male and tortoiseshell that you trapped? I haven't seen them around for a few days.

Yes I caught the black male and the black/orange torti. The raccoons are pretty brave because they are starting to roam during the day. Good Luck in trapping your cat. I will keep looking. If I see her in my area I will set out our trap also.
Old April 13th, 2009, 05:48 PM
150% PRO S/N

You don't have to use one of your other cats to test it. Just put a stick through the side and press down on the plate. If it is set right it will activate. That way you don't risk scaring your other cats.
Sending lots of that you catch your cat soon.
Old April 13th, 2009, 09:45 PM

Of course I wouldn't do that. I'm thinking she's staying away because she's been trapped like that before, or maybe someone else is feeding her now. No sightings since Wednesday night.
Old May 4th, 2009, 09:43 AM

bittersweet news

After 5 weeks I caught Ruby in a squirrel trap on the porch. A few days later she bolted again. Not sure why since she seemed to be adjusting and wasn't hiding or anything. Asleep on the couch beside the other cat, and within ten minutes I saw her crawling under the fence. No sightings since. I've left the cage on the porch at night, and the garage slightly open with food, water and a blanket. I don't think there are other strays in the area anymore and haven't seen raccoons yet.
Old May 16th, 2009, 03:11 PM

Question

a raccoon keeps eating the food if I put it in the garage, porch, back yard or in a trap. Not sure how to lure him away without witholding food.
Old May 16th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Senior Contributor

WOW Missing Kitty,are you telling us you caught her and she ran off again
Is she not spayed??
I tried to trap a stray in a trap lent to me by our HS,the first night out,I had a raccoon,then the neighbors cat,but after 2 weeks I caught the stray
How could she bolt again??
Did you not release her in the house??
At least you know she knows her way home and hopefully she'll be back
Old May 17th, 2009, 11:31 AM

yes, she's spayed. last time I saw her inside she was sleeping. Within 10 minutes, vomited (I assumed it was her because she was eating quite a bit since she came back) but I was trying to limit her food-at least canned to 3 times a day. Then crawling under a fence. I think it was my 7 year old that let her out.
When she came back I asked if she should be isolated/moved to an apartment, and the rescue said no probably not as long as she seems to be behaving normally, ie not trying to bolt.
I'm assuming the raccoon (1 or more) is from the house down the street that was just torn down. I've seen one in the tree, and outside a few times and eating the food till I scare it away. I was wondering how to lure the raccoon away, but the only really close spot is across a busy street near the train tracks.
I'm not sure what you mean-did I not release her in the house? As far as how she could bolt, I don't know which is the most agonizing part, I've always had a cat and never had this happen but I know she was a stray before.
Old May 17th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Senior Contributor

MissinKitty, I agree I would see if you can trap her. The best food to put in the trap is tuna or salmon. They are the most smellest. If she does not go into the trap, if you are not already, I would try and start feeding her daily and on a set time. Cats are routine animals. They are like clockwork. If you feed them every morning at 5am, for sure you'll cat will be waking you up at 5am.

Also feeding her, will gain her trust.

ACO22
Old May 17th, 2009, 01:47 PM

for now, moved the trap closer to the hole beside the driveway under the fence where we last so her with food in it (midafternoon) before the raccoon starts prowling. Covered, but will check every hour or so.