Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 30th, 2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
I like the human ones that you get from a health food store. My favourite is Natural Factor's Ultimate Multi because it has several different types of organisms and is high potency so you don't need to use very much. Plus it doesn't have a lot of dairy, which can be an allergy source for some cats. If you do find that one, you only need about 1/6th of a capsule per dose (which is around 2 billion organisms).
Sorry for the minor, minor threadjack! But since we're talking about probiotics - has anyone had any experience with giving Bene-bac to kitties? I give it to my rabbit a couple of times a week and it just dawned on me that my two kits might benefit from it as well.......

We now return you to your regular thread......... (sorry again!)

"The Kids"
~Corkie - Tuxedo, at the bridge (probably hogging the sunbeam)
~Sparks - Calico, 15 yrs
~Jollip - Senegal Parrot, 13 yrs
~Yeti - Himalayan, 12 yrs
~Pepin - Silver Martin/Dwarf Rabbit, 8 yrs
Old May 30th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsmallfurries View Post
has anyone had any experience with giving Bene-bac to kitties?
I haven't, but just looking at the ingredients I probably wouldn't. For starters, it only has 10 million organisms per gram, and their instructions say to give the average 10lb cat 2 tsps of powder. That's a heckuva a lot of powder for me to be mixing into my cat's food, who's picky enough about that sort of thing. It also contains a lot of sugar. The gel is even worse, with artificial colour and preservatives. If you get the human probiotics, you could always take them yourself if you ever had reason to (like being on antibiotics).

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 1st, 2009, 07:34 AM

JimHall - thanks for your support!

Chico - I know what you mean! I think read somewhere (one of the links someone provided in this thread) that diet seems to have very little influence on a cat's teeth. Unfortunately Charlie is one of the ones who already has bad teeth. He already has a little bit of gingivitis so I'm trying to be cautious, but I'm not really concerned about feeding the wet food anymore
Old September 3rd, 2009, 12:31 PM

Progress!

I am really pleased to announce that over the last four months, Charlie has lost 2 lbs! We weighed him just yesterday and he's down to about 17 lbs. That's amazing considering he weighed 25 lbs when the THS took him in.

I wanted to thank everyone for your advice and support. Charlie is on a strict wet food diet - we alternate between Wellness grain-free and Performatrin. The only problem is that lately he's gotten picky about his food. For a while we were feeding him Merrick's Before Grain wet food, and since we've gone back to his original diet, he hasn't been as interested in the Wellness or Performatrin. Any suggestions?
Old September 3rd, 2009, 12:57 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

EOF i'm not a cat person so not going to have alot of info for you. What i was going to suggest is either go to Purrfect pet across from Timmies or there is a global pets at kipling and queensway. The lady there is very well informed on pet nutrition(feeds hers raw).She may be a big help to you
Old September 3rd, 2009, 01:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndOfFashion View Post
I am really pleased to announce that over the last four months, Charlie has lost 2 lbs!
Yippeee! Way to go, that's fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndOfFashion View Post
For a while we were feeding him Merrick's Before Grain wet food, and since we've gone back to his original diet, he hasn't been as interested in the Wellness or Performatrin. Any suggestions?
Can you mix some of the BG with the Wellness and Performatrin? Perhaps he'd like some more variety in his diet as well. A few other quality canned foods you can try are Nature's Variety Instinct, Innova Evo 95%, By Nature, ZiwiPeak....

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old September 3rd, 2009, 01:12 PM

SCM, that's what we'll have to do. I know that you should mix together foods if you're introducing a new type, but because Charlie is the least picky cat I know and we've never had trouble changing his diet before, we didn't mix the Wellness with the B.G. That was my mistake!

We'll pick up some more B.G. and I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for your great advice, as ever!

Aslan, I haven't been to the new Global Pet Foods on Queensway yet. How is the selection/prices compared to Pet Valu? I'll have to pay them a visit!
Old September 3rd, 2009, 01:15 PM

I forgot to mention, I've also seen a VAST improvement in the quality of his fur. When we first adopted him, he had bad dandruff and his fur was gross and oily. He would also shed like CRAZY...just petting him would send up a cloud of fur. Now his fur is shiny and sooo soft. He looks so handsome!
Old September 3rd, 2009, 01:22 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

i found them comparable to petvalue, some stuff cheaper.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 01:26 PM

Wow sounds good, Aslan! I'll definitely check them out.