Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old May 17th, 2009, 07:07 PM

How do we keep our dog from peeing in the house?

My husband and I inherited a dog from my Mother in Law. He's about 2.5 years old, a chihuahua, when she was given the dog it was from a friend who kept him mostly in the basement and let him pee and poop where ever he wanted. My MIL was not home with him all day and worked long days, so she got him puppy pads. He went mostly on the pads but had the tendency to pee in other places (which I found out about after we got him!). We have another dog who is perfectly house broken and has had no accidents since we trained him. We have them on a regular schedule and take them out multiple times a day. But he'll pee and poop outside and then come back in and do the same thing, sometimes even 10 minutes later!

I can't live with the pads anymore and then finding his other secret spots that he pees on. We're having a baby and moving to a house next week. I really hate to get rid of him but I can't have our new house ruined by this, nor do I want pee pads everywhere - especially with a baby on the way!

What can we do to train him and get him on the same page as our other dog? Please help or unfortunately we're going to have to find a new home for him.

Oh, and the vet says he's perfectly fine and there's no medical problems.
Old May 17th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Little dogs can be a bit of a bugger to house break.

You need to stop letting him have access. Get yourself a six foot leash - put him on one end and attach the other end to your belt loop. This way there is absolutely no way he can sneak off and have an accident and you can see the first signs that he has to go outside to take care of business.

If, at any time, you can not keep him in your sight (or on the other end of that leash) he needs to go in his crate. You will NEVER break this habit if there is any way that he can get away and potty where you can not see him.

Praise him mightly when he potties outside and DO NOT, under ANY circumstances, punish him if he has an accident in the house.
Old May 17th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Doggie Wench

Ditto everything LavenderRott posted. That's exactly how we housetrain our foster puppies.
Old May 18th, 2009, 02:27 AM

You also might want to consider belly bands. I rescued a little male Maltese & I always made him wear a belly band. You can buy them on line. Just search on belly bands.
Old May 18th, 2009, 04:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheribob View Post
You also might want to consider belly bands. I rescued a little male Maltese & I always made him wear a belly band. You can buy them on line. Just search on belly bands.
I suppose that is an option - but it isn't training the dog. Kind of like putting a bandaid on a tumor. It might take care of the symptom but doesn't take care of the problem.