Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 3rd, 2009, 05:17 PM
Cujo, Lucky, and Shadow

Question Discolored Paw pad

I just received a phone call from my mom saying that one of her cats Penut while she was holding her, she noticed that one of the pads on her back foot and one of the pads on her front paw has gone from black to to a raw like pink colour, she said she is pretty sure penut chewed those pads right off, because they have always been black before.

Penut is an indoor cat, and she is still happy and healthy, she isnt limping or anything either, but she has noticed her chewing at her paws.

Any suggesstions? are cats known to sometimes do this?
Old May 3rd, 2009, 08:04 PM
-

I have no idea why the pads would change from black to pink so, I will leave that question for the cat gurus here.

As far as the licking it could be from allergies .....what is your mom feeding her?
Old May 4th, 2009, 03:42 AM

The pad might go pink if she's scraped the outer layer off, such as what happens with black nosed dogs that badly scrape their noses the skin as it heals is pink underneath, slowly returning to black.

I doubt she "chewed the pads right off" as that would result in noticably bloody paws & a cat that shows signs of severe pain while walking or reluctance to walk at all. If she is consistantly licking/chewing her feet she could have allergies to either something she is eating or something in her environment, could also be a yeast-type infection, worry over changes in the home etc.

In some pointed cat breeds, like Siamese, it has been suggested it could caused by a genetic change around the time of sexual maturity.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying

Vindication ~ For all those pets who became sick or lost their lives from tainted pet food
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Cujo, Lucky, and Shadow

Thanks, I will give my mom the suggesstions when i talk to her. It didnt seem like it was something extremely serious to me, because besides the discoloured pads she is otherwise fine and walking, running around playing like normal.