Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old April 29th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Slave to Roland & Willis.

Smile Some green thumb advice please

So I want to line our balcony with planters, I will feel more at ease with Willis out there (never on his own!) and it will make it look so much nicer. The problem is that Roland eats eVERYTHING I put in soil. While I dont mind this, I need to know what I can plant that is okay for him to eat. (some easy maintenance would be nice cause Im really not a gardner!)
Thank you so much!!
Old April 29th, 2009, 05:36 PM
You can call me DOG!

Here's a link for a whole bunch of cat friendly plants

http://www.nygardvetclinic.com/cat_friendly_plants.htm

Wow...quite a list

Good luck with the planters RM

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/14/2004 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old April 29th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Rolandsmom one of the other members here CearaQC has a wealth of knowledge on plants and planting ..hopefully she will come along and answer any questions! but what about getting them some cat grass to eat instead of your plants when they are outside?
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old April 29th, 2009, 11:16 PM

Thats a good idea Winston, I may plant some cat grass out there as well, but Roland gets bored of it pretty fast! He much prefers the fern leaves for some reason!
Thanks for the link Klm, the problem is that I dont know what half of those plants look like or if they are good outside! Guess I can cross reference with the plant place!
Old May 3rd, 2009, 06:33 PM
-

I was thinking RolandsMom, you could plant Perrenials in your planters, that way you won't have to replant them year after year.....just a thought
Old May 3rd, 2009, 09:29 PM
Garden nut

Well thanks for the nice compliment but I wouldn't say I know everything! We each have our own specialties. Mine are bulb Lilies, some perennials and lots of veg. I have tons of perennials outdoors and also many house plants but luckily my cat Linx isn't a chewer.

http://www.cfainc.org/articles/plants.html

That is a list for plants toxic to cats.

If you want mega low maintenance, cacti and succulents are the way to go. Many are beautiful and provide color when they flower.

A good window box style container combo would be dwarf Sweet Williams (they have a really interesting scent), dwarf Calendula officinalis, and Moss Rose (Portulaca).

A larger pot container would look nice with trailing strawberries, blue Jacob's Ladder (perennial) and white or pink cornflowers (annual).

Sweet Williams are perennials and they are hardy. I mean really hardy, no joking. I can't kill the things and they are everywhere. They grow so well, they've self seeded seemingly everywhere and are threatening to take over all my flower beds (I have 5 ). I've uprooted them and sometimes forgot to haul them to the compost pile, only to return a couple of days later to find they've continued on like nothing happened and re-rooted. So they are good for kitties in case kitty decides to dig in the pot. lol They come in shades of pink, red and white. There are some darker color varieties available in many seed catalogs, like Burgundy so dark it seems almost black.

Portulaca, or Moss Rose, are easy to grow. Tiny black seeds but there are lots and lots of colors in delicate flowers. The seed pods are really neat too. Kind of like a plastic egg that splits in half and seeds are inside. Pods are kind of furry also with a white "fuzz." Red, orange, yellow, white, pink, and purple flowers, if you buy a mixed pack of seeds.

Calendula officinalis is sometimes called "pot marigold" but it is NOT a marigold. Marigold's Latin genus is Tagetes and Calendula is Calendula. Tagetes is bad for kitties but Calendula is OK. Calendula is also edible for people. You can toss some flower petals in your salad or the petals can be a cheap substitute for a saffron color in your cooking. The "pot" part of the name came from the time when people ate these plants and cooked them. They are also medicinal, great for minor skin irritations (infuse in some oil like sweet almond or olive). Calendula will flower like mad all season as long as you remove the spent blooms and prevent it from going to seed. Once it gets to set seed, it thinks it has done its job reproducing and will stop making flowers. Calendula mostly comes in shades of orange, yellow, dark orange, light orange, cream... basically orange. lol Calendula's seeds look kind of like dried up worms. Marigold seeds look like black and white sticks.

Those three flowers, along with some succulents like Hens n' Chicks (Simpervivum) are easy to grow, take minimal care. Hens n' Chicks come in many many different colors.

Hope that helps. I know you didn't ask for the design aspect of it, but I tried to envision what I would plant, if given a small space that needed to be kitty friendly. And with plants that even children could grow easy.

A good video series, if anyone is interested, is called "How to Be a Gardener."

Part A

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?doc...12252148666793

Part B

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?doc...85178897644131
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old May 3rd, 2009, 11:09 PM

Wow. Thank you so much!!!! That is really very helpful! We will start planting May long and I will post some pics to show you just how much all the help has helped!!!