Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 20th, 2009, 10:35 AM

Angry Paws sore

My dog was playing tennis with us, she was chasing balls on pavement. She began limping, Two of her paws were bleeding and one peeling.
She needed to be carried home. I bathed her in epison salt to soak her paws. She is limping today but not bleeding. Can I give her anything else. Her paws are not hot or anything like that and they are not red. We usually walk in the woods or run on a grassy field. I gave her ASA for pain.
Old April 20th, 2009, 10:54 AM

Get her to the vet.
In the future maybe you could purchase a paw balm before vigorous excersise? Or booties?

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Old April 20th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

It will take a while for the leather to heal. If she continues to limp or you see any sign of infection, contact a vet for advice--they might even have an ointment to help. No pavement walking, of course, until she's healed--and you might want to put old socks on her feet the first few times she goes out again on the pavement to avoid re-irritating her feet.

There are products that you can put on your dogs pads (once they're totally healed) that will toughen them up...we use something called Tuf-Foot made my Bonaseptic Co out of GA that works pretty well if we use it regularly. It never hurts to condition your dog's feet in spring with shorter walks and play sessions to begin with.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 20th, 2009, 11:58 AM

Charlette's Paws

Charlette is doing better. I just checked her paws they are not open. She is drinking and eating. She is lying on the sofa with blankets I am waiting on her hand and paw. I bring her water and food.
I do not plan on ever letting her run on the pavement again. The socks idea is great I'll try that.
Fortantly it is raining today so she does not want to go out.
I will bring her to the vet is she gets worse.
She's never had this problem before she is a very active outdoor dog.
Old April 20th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Pavement can be pretty hard on a dog's paws--especially if they're used to grass or dirt. Ours are country dogs now, so their feet aren't conditioned for pavement anymore. When they're in town and on leash, I have to be very careful of how long they walk--especially if it's a warm day and they're on blacktop.

Glad she's doing better, resting, and getting some TLC from Mom.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 20th, 2009, 05:20 PM

Charlette Paws

I picked up some baby socks for her. She not amuzed, we put them on her when she goes out to pee to keep her feet clean.
If she not walking better tomrrow I take into the vet. I called her vet was put on hold for 20 minutes then decided to wait. She has no fever and she is still eating and drinking.
Old April 20th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Live well, laugh often

Regular soaks in salt water while healing is also a good idea if she will tolerate it. You could try just having her stand in the tub while you slowly hand feed her dinner .

My Riley has also had some problems on tennis court surfaces and he actually has pretty tough feet generally. I think perhaps the coating they use is very abrasive so that the humans don't slip.

Hope she feels better soon .
Old April 20th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Ointments with zinc, lanolin and beeswax are all good for healing and protecting the pads. Zinc oxide diaper rash cream actually has all or most of those ingredients in it (maybe depending on what brand). It's available in jars of about 1 pound everywhere baby stuff is sold (drug stores, Zellers & Wal-Mart pharmacy etc.) You could rub some on and then the sock booties to keep the feet covered so it's not licked off easily. If the socks come off too easily try taping around the top to hold them tight.

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion!

http://www.racingrescues.com
http://www.goodbyegoose.com

Last edited by Gail P; April 20th, 2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old April 21st, 2009, 07:57 AM

Charlette much Better

Thank you everyone for your help. I'll pick up the zinc cream. She is walking better today. She is only licking one paw occasionally.
She doen't even try to take off the socks. She only worn them outside since it is still raining.
She is much better.
Old April 21st, 2009, 10:17 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree with everyone - unless your dog is a mini Dachshund - then I would get to vet asap as a limping front paw is a sign of Dachshund disc disease - I learned this the hard way - and it was misdiagnosed by a small Emergency clinic. Many of the Dachshund books do not address this issue. And of course I would take to vet if any chance of infection appears - no matter the breed.
Old April 21st, 2009, 11:42 AM

Thumbs up pharmist Made a cream

I went to my drug store and the pharmist made a barrier cream for charlette with zinc, witch hazel and anitbotic and antinflamitory cost 15 dollars. She is jumping up on me ( a bad behaviour) but it a sign she is feeling better. She is now barking at everything walking by the house. She is only favouring one paw.
I bought her a pair of indoor socks infant size and she is leaving them on. She has a set for outside.: