Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 27th, 2009, 09:10 PM

Introduction of new kitten to old cat not going well

Hi Everyone. I'm new to this forum. I have 16 1/2 year old male cat Ozzi. I also had a 17/2 year old female cat Mitti who passed away a month ago, she had Chronic Renal Failure. Now I was ready to get another kitten, so we got a 6 week old female kitten Roxi last week.

Ozzi is not taking too well to little Roxi. He's always growling, hissing, swipes at her, and is just cranky. Roxi is such a brave little girl, and wants to follow and run up to him which just sets Ozzi off more. They do have time on their own and are in separate rooms when the nap. They also have their own litterboxes, food, and water. But as soon as both are in the kitchen or by the patio door, Ozzi becomes hostile.

How long will it take for them to at least accept each other? Its been a week and a half so far, and it seems to be just getting worse.
Ozzi is just getting more mad. What can I do at this point to help smooth things out?
Old March 27th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcjcjc View Post
Hi Everyone. I'm new to this forum.
Hi jcjcjc, and welcome to pets.ca.

Quote:
I also had a 17/2 year old female cat Mitti who passed away a month ago, she had Chronic Renal Failure.
Sorry for your loss. No matter how long we have with our furry family members, it's never enough.

Quote:
Now I was ready to get another kitten, so we got a 6 week old female kitten Roxi last week.
Congrats on the kitten. Just curious, where did you get her from? 6 weeks is terribly young to be taken away from her family.

Quote:
Ozzi is not taking too well to little Roxi.
Not surprising. Older cats rarely have the patience for wee hyper kitties, especially if they haven't been around them much before. Introducing cats to each other should be done very gradually, keeping them in separate rooms and swapping their scent around to get them used to each other. It might be a good idea to start over with Ozzi and Roxi, using this link to guide you: http://www.wvcats.com/integrating_kittens_with_cats.htm

Something else to consider is getting another kitten the same age as Roxi. Does she have any littermates you could also adopt? That way they could play with each other and hopefully let Ozzi be. He deserves some peace in his retirement years.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 29th, 2009, 05:03 PM

Thanks for the info. When I got Roxi, she was supposed to be 7 weeks old, but the birthdate didn't calculate right. When I got her checked out by our vet, he felt that she was more likely only 6 weeks (based on her weight).
I wish I knew exactly what age she is, but for now we're going by what the vet said, so yesterday she was 7 weeks and that next weekend she can have her first (8-week) vaccination.
She is doing great, is very playful, eating well, napping like a baby would, was immediately 'litterbox' trained. She is getting lots of attention by my teenage daughters and us, is very sociable and full of energy. Ozzi is still cranky and not taking it well. Even when alone in a room he keeps grumbling. I've tried to give him lots of space and time away from the kitten, especially when Roxi is sleeping.

Thank you for the article. I'll print it and read it over. I would think its hard to 'start over' though. When we are home and she is not napping, she loves tearing around the main floor, it would be hard to confine her to just one room with so much energy. When she's so energetic and brave I make sure that Ozzi is in a 'safe' spot where they can still see each other, but where Roxi won't suddenly sneak up on him.
Old March 29th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm sorry about the loss of your other cat. I think SCM's suggestion about getting Roxi a playmate is good. Ozzi is a senior cat and likely just wants to just relax and be left alone. A kitten doesn't understand that.

Kittens are full of energy, but I think she will be okay being separated for a while. Give her some toys and you'd be surprised at how well they can entertain themselves. Just please remember, Ozzi was there first.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old March 29th, 2009, 06:55 PM
-

I agree with SCM and AG about getting another playmate for Roxi.

I really don't think that Ozzi would play with Roxi at his age and would probably appreciate the fact that two little dynamos would occupy each other and leave him alone.

Also, since we're such picture junkies here, we would love to see some pics of both Ozzi and Roxi.
Old March 30th, 2009, 09:17 AM

On a side note, Keep Ozzi's nails trimmed so he doesn't accidentally rip Roxi's face off.
Old April 1st, 2009, 08:51 AM

Thanks. I've been going over to Indigo on my lunches and reading up on this topic (cat introductions). Of course, everything I read said its better to have kittens in pairs.

Well... after several discussions with my husband, I just can't convince him. He just doesn't want 3 cats, he's fine with his limit 2, which is what we've had for the past 16+ years. "should have waited till Ozzi passed, and then get 2 kittens" (in hindsight, maybe I should have waited, but too late now) "you're going to end up like your mom <5 cats> or aunt <10+ cats>" (no.. I'm just getting the next cat a bit early, so when the time comes that Ozzi passes, I won't be back at 2 and not get another; besides my mom and aunt are quite happy with their cats and are not senile old ladies with 100 cats out of control that you read about sometimes)
Then of course there's all the economic times talk and that he might lose his job (this is true). Not to mention that I'm already prepared to spend more$$ than usual for Ozzi's senior care, Roxi's spaying and boosters. At our first checkup I was told Roxi has a heart murmur, so I know from past experience, that means cardiac ultrasounds, etc before any dentistry, surgery (spaying), which will be more costly.

So for now, I think I just have to work on Ozzi and Roxi's relationship.
Roxi watches Ozzi but is starting to just keep away from him. She's too busy running around playing with her toys, on her own and with my daughters and us. I try to do the scent exchange thing and Ozzi growls and grumbles at anything that has touched Roxi, even if she is not in the room. He growls in the rooms (kitchen, dining room) where Roxi is mostly even if she is not there at the moment. On the weekend, late at night, Ozzi slept on one sofa and Roxi on the other, and for a short time, there was no grumbling.

Another one of my husband's arguments is that lots of people only get one kitten and they grow up to be fine.. we are giving her lots of attention so she doesn't need to have a playmate...
Thoughts on this??

Can't seem to win on this one. If it wasn't for worrying about his job, I'd probably have another kitten by now...

Judy

(Hazmat: thanks for tip, I'm one step ahead and all nails have been trimmed already)
Old April 1st, 2009, 09:23 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Best advice: get another kitten for Roxi, you will find life so much easier with two kittens and will make life easier on Roxi and Ozzie. It is no more work to have 2 kittens, it will actually be less as they will keep each other occupied, otherwise Roxi will become bored, torment Ozzie and be after you all the time to play. This can lead to Roxi meowing for attention, even at night when you are sleeping. Two kittens will poop each other out and they will sleep like babies Poor Ozzie may be miserable having a kitten after him all the time.

Sometimes Hubbies need some time to think and need to have little bits of hints here and there so they can digest them. I know that is the way with my hubby. I give him some thoughts, and let him think, then allow him to think he thought of the idea

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 1st, 2009, 09:23 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Best advice: get another kitten for Roxi, you will find life so much easier with two kittens and will make life easier on Roxi and Ozzie. It is no more work to have 2 kittens, it will actually be less as they will keep each other occupied, otherwise Roxi will become bored, torment Ozzie and be after you all the time to play. This can lead to Roxi meowing for attention, even at night when you are sleeping. Two kittens will poop each other out and they will sleep like babies Poor Ozzie may be miserable having a kitten after him all the time.

Sometimes Hubbies need some time to think and need to have little bits of hints here and there so they can digest them. I know that is the way with my hubby. I give him some thoughts, and let him think, then allow him to think he thought of the idea
Should add:
My limit in the house was zero cats when I first married him, now I have 3 resident and fosters.

Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 1st, 2009, 10:16 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree with L4H. When I got my first cat, I only wanted 1. Then I realized he needed a playmate, he was still a kitten. I figured, 2 was not much more trouble than 1. They entertained each other and they were not lonely while I was gone. A few months later I came upon 2 more kittens. I DID NOT WANT any more cats. I didn't think I could handle it. But I wound up keeping them and I managed. I now have 5. I'm not telling you to have a lot of cats. But when you look at it in the grand scheme of things, after the initial vaccines and S/N the amount you spend on food and litter for 3, it isn't that much more than what you are spending on 2. If you get the kittens both S/N at the same time you might get a discount, or you can shop around. You may even be able to adopt a kitten at a shelter who is already fixed and has some of her/his vaccinations.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old April 1st, 2009, 10:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Let your hubby read this thread, perhaps hearing it from an outside source, will help convince him that getting another kitten would be beneficial to your new kitten and to your senior cat, as well as yourselves.
Old April 1st, 2009, 11:43 AM
Slave to Roland & Willis.

Hmm. Dont forget to give Ozzy lots and lots of love and attention. He is probably all nose out of joint at the new addition as it is and then seeing all the attention the newbie is getting, well sometimes they dont take it that well! Give it some time. Ozzy will probably learn to at least tolerate Roxy in a bit as long as his routine of love and affection is not too disrupted. I just introduced a kitten to my cat (although the older cat is only 2.5 years old) and I had to confine the kitten. He cried for a bit at times (I went in and gave him lots of love often though!) but did entertain himself endlessly with balls and stuff.
All I can suggest is lots of love and patience for both and dont punish the older cat for being grumpy. That doesnt help with the resentment either. If there is growling just remove him from the situation and give him lots of love! Just my
Old April 1st, 2009, 01:24 PM
Kitty pimp

patience and lots of snuggles for ozzie give it at least a month
Old April 1st, 2009, 01:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandsMom View Post
Dont forget to give Ozzy lots and lots of love and attention.
Good advice. In fact some say to not give ANY attention to the newcomer in front of the resident cat until everyone has adapted.

Another option is to try to get Ozzi playing (it's hard to stay mad when you're having fun). Can be tough if the kitten keeps interupting, so maybe your husband can play with the kitten somewhere else while you engage Ozzi in something interactive.

Not sure if someone already mentioned this, but Feliway can be useful for making cats feel at ease.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old April 1st, 2009, 02:53 PM

Thanks for the advice and for mentioning Feliway. Never knew it existed. I'll have to see if I can find it at Pet Smart or Pet Valu.

Also, I am making a point to spend time cuddling Ozzi (he loves to lay in my arms when I watch TV at night). Actually we are all making a point to do our usual activities with him.
I'm also trying to stick to my usual odd routines with him. One example is 'holding' a container of water for him as soon as I get home from work. There's always water bowls in the house for him, but of course he loves to drink the one I'm holding. (He has me trained well!)
Old April 1st, 2009, 04:46 PM
Senior Contributor

jc,chances are that Ozzie is also missing his friend that passed away and adding a little young punk,made Ozzie stress even more.
It seems to me you are doing ok and since a second kitten is out of the question,I would make sure Ozzie has a safe place at all times,even close the kitten in a room ever now and then,it won't hurt him.
Oh yes,we really love to see some pics
Old April 1st, 2009, 05:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I'll have to see if I can find it at Pet Smart or Pet Valu.
PetSmart used to carry it but not anymore. As far as I know, the only place to get it in Canada is from a vet clinic (which tends to be pricey) or else order it online. Chico2 has a good eBay source.

Old April 1st, 2009, 06:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Just my two cents worth of advice here. First I was going to just say be patient. When we brought in Harley and Huxley at less than 5 wks, Cody was 10 and we still had Sassy, she was 8. The older cats hated that we brought babies in. They stayed in the bedrooms unless they had to pass through to eat or pee - then they hissed, swatted, etc. It took several weeks before they were comfortable walking through. They all became friends, somewhat, after that.

The second thing I wanted to say, more so after reading the others' suggestions to have another kitten, it did help our situation that we had two. They were more interested in playing with each other than bother the older felines.

Later, when we adopted the Quads, Cody didn't seem to mind them at all, he was 16 then, just swatted them once or twice and they learned to respect him - gave him his space and still do. (Sassy was gone by that time).

Good luck on whatever you do.

Diane
Old April 1st, 2009, 06:40 PM

JC good luck... i dont think i need to add much more to this thread as most have said what i would say or suggest!

but like someone mentioned remember that Ozzie was there first and definately will be missing his old friend!

One suggestion i used to do was put the kitten in the crate and near the older cat and let the older one sniff the crate.. this is usually the first stage i would do when bringing a kitten home

you should be rewarded for getting a kitten and not an adult cat as older cats do accept babies a lot quicker then adults... but it does take time with some AND also depends on the ages ... your older cat is obviously older.. now imagine if you were a 80 yo... and someone dumped a 6 month old baby onto your hands.. you'd want to throw it out the door quick smart... (figure of speech all). Your older cat is far more set in it's ways and all and yo uhave put a little screamer so to speak into Ozzies comfort zone.

So my two suggestions that i would do in this instance is one crate the kitten when you're not home and also of a night so that Ozzie feels safer and more content.. put the baby in your room with you if you want to.. so it doenst cry so much but if its' got toys water food and a tray should be fine.

also get a play toy and play with both cats together.. main focus being your older cat... once they are both playing they will be ok... saying that i have a older birman who is ok with my little rag doll but they dont play together.. Levi plays with us and the pom and puppies and anything he can find where Sash is a snob. Sash took 2 days to accept him... in the house but 2 months to go near him to play or wash him.. if they play they ger rough so i have to clap my hands and tell them off.. they dont play to kill each other but certainly do hiss and cause up a lot lf smoke between them.

however saying that they do care and look out for one another.. and do both have a cuddle and a smooch.. it does take time!

When Sash was at a friends place... her birman didnt like Sash at all and the closest they got together was on the window ledge... but never near one another.. so it does take time and also effort on your part.. nature does work in wonderful ways. Shame you cant get another kitten for your baby but... before long you'll have too lol if Ozzie isnt around... if he is lets hope they mend their bridges!
Chloe 6mth Sable GSD
Sacia 2yo Black GSD
Zorro 6wk Black GSD
Levi 6 month old Ragdoll

Addopted mum to:
Pipa 6 yo Pom,
Sash 5 yo Birman
Old April 2nd, 2009, 07:21 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuko View Post
older cats do accept babies a lot quicker then adults...
Not usually. http://www.wvcats.com/integrating_kittens_with_cats.htm

Quote:
There are some adult cats who take to little kittens right away, happily filling in as "mom". This is not typical, though, especially for adult cats who never had any dealings with little kittens. Most adult cats don't act like mother substitutes to kittens. That does not mean they won't come to accept a kitten living in the same home. Adult cats and kittens can and do certainly wind up getting along, as the kitten and adult cat in the picture above finally did. But it is not usually the easy, quick acceptance that some people think it will be with many adult cats, where you just plop a little kitten down with the adult cat and have everything be fine. It almost always won't be if you do that. Since starting out badly will set the tone for the relationship, and it is only kind to do all we can to reduce stress and fear in our cats, proceeding slowly with introductions is always the best thing to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuko View Post
So my two suggestions that i would do in this instance is one crate the kitten when you're not home and also of a night so that Ozzie feels safer and more content..
While I think keeping the kitten in a separate room while unattended is a good idea, a disagree with the suggestion of crate confinement for long periods of time if it can be avoided. An exuberant kitten should be allowed to explore and play and be mentally stimulated by its environment, not locked up in a cage.

Old April 2nd, 2009, 08:05 AM
Senior Contributor

When I got Vinnie,my Rocky accepted him almost on the first day,Chico still does not like Vinnie.
Vinnie still slept in"his"room for quiet a while.
You don't want the little one to get hurt.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 08:41 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Please don't crate your kitten unless it is for safety reasons :sad:. I see too many kittens crated at the humane society and they are not happy. I keep my fosters in a "kitten nursery" room that is safe for them to run and climb as they please.

I have to agree with Sugarcatmom, I have had a few foster litters and I can tell you that:

Puddles, my 13 year old cat will never accept a kitten around her.

Even Jasper, the friendliest cat you could ever meet does not always feel like playing and will let the kittens know.

Sweet Pea, the youngest of my clan, who has been a mother at least 2 times, finds kittens very annoying and will hiss and swat unless she wants them around.

What do the kittens do when they get hissed at by an adult, turn their attention to their sibling to play.

Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old April 2nd, 2009, 11:16 AM
Catlover2

It's never a good idea to pair a kitten up with a very senior cat, especially one who's lost his best friend. I can't add much to what's already been said, but to reiterate extra attention for Ozzi, and please protect him from kitty's too rambunctious antics. Ozzi should not have to put up with this at his age. Remember, this is like a 90 y.o. person having to put up with a toddler all the time. You can't blame Ozzi for his reaction.

Roxi, at 6 wks. has not learned any "social graces" of how to behave with other cats and kittens. Kittens learn that from 7-10wks., so she's probably really wanting to cuddle & nurse on Ozzi! Might not be a bad idea to get some kitten formula and bottle and see if Roxi wants to nurse, as that is what she would still be doing if she were with her momcat. She then may not be as interested in Ozzi, and more in you.

Last edited by catlover2; April 2nd, 2009 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Additional thought re 6 wk. old kitten
Old April 2nd, 2009, 11:19 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Well said catlover2.

Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old April 2nd, 2009, 01:29 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover2 View Post
It's never a good idea to pair a kitten up with a very senior cat, especially one who's lost his best friend. I can't add much to what's already been said, but to reiterate extra attention for Ozzi, and please protect him from kitty's too rambunctious antics. Ozzi should not have to put up with this at his age. Remember, this is like a 90 y.o. person having to put up with a toddler all the time. You can't blame Ozzi for his reaction.
I agree.

I also still hope that you can convince your hubby that Roxi should have a playmate ....after all, you can be there with the kitties 24/7.

And, I also think it's about time you posted some pics of Ozzi and Roxi.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 06:51 PM

Thank you everyone for your responses.

I found something similiar to Feliway at Pet Valu but it was $30 just for a small plug-in bottle of diffuser. I didn't buy it, but at least I know where I can get it if I need to resort to it.

Roxi is now 8-9 weeks old and has never tried to cuddle or nurse with Ozzi or anyone. Its more like she wants to play. When she's awake she constantly darting around chasing and playing. Even sleeping now, she'll just sleep out on the sofa cushion instead of further back by the soft cuddly blanket...

On the battlefront... Ozzi has had a few moments were he would just watch, he also had some moments where I thought he'd try to hurt Roxi. I just had to intervene.. so I don't know if he would have actually hurt her, but he certainly was extremely ticked off (so ticked off even I had to watch myself). Roxi doesn't pester Ozzi too much rather she's busy playing with everything in site, and eventually Ozzi takes off to another room.

As for pictures, I haven't been able to take any good ones lately (she keeps darting around and my pictures end up blurry), but my daughter got some good ones when first brought her home (2 1/2 weeks ago).

So #1 is Roxi 2 1/2 weeks ago. #2 is Ozzi last summer. #3 is also about 2 weeks ago, Ozzi & Roxi (Roxi snuck into my daughters lap after school while Ozzi was sleeping and was not too happy with the situation once he realized who was beside him). I thought I'd add #4 which is a pic of Mitti, a very gentle well behaved sweet cat that I had a special bond with that I can't explain. Mitti passed away in Feburary at 17 1/2 years old, the photo was taken last year before she started losing weight (geez I miss her).
Attached Images

Old April 3rd, 2009, 06:55 PM

oops.. limit was 3..

So here is the one with both Ozzi and Roxi
Attached Images

Old April 4th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Senior Contributor

OMG,what an adorable little Tabby-Girl
Ozzi,is just beautiful,love his colouring ,I honestly think he will come around,it might have been easier had the kitten been a male,but that's too late now.
However,like everyone says,Ozzi needs to be protected from little Roxy and cuddled a lot
The plug-ins you can get at Pet-Value,did not work with my spraying cat,only Feli-Way did.
But it might work on stress for Ozzi,I don't know
Maybe Ozzi would put Roxi in her place,just like a momma cat would,but he could also hurt her.
Please do not scold Ozzi for not being too happy with Roxy,ok
So sorry about Mitti
I see something suspiciousLOL on Ozzi in the last pic,is he not neutered??
Old April 4th, 2009, 10:33 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

That is one humumgous cat!!! It's no wonder the kitten is getting the worse of it. I hope things are going a little smoother there. The addition of another small kitty wouldn't cause that much more stress to the household. In fact it would help with Roxi's development seeing as she was so young when adopted. Please consider.
Old April 4th, 2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
I see something suspiciousLOL on Ozzi in the last pic,is he not neutered??
Oz is neutered. When he was younger (around 10 yrs old?) his weight got up to 18lbs and he had to go on a reducing diet. He ate R/D for years and barely lost weight. Evenutally he did. Nowadays he's 13 lbs. He has a bit of loose skin, so its possible that in that particular photo, skin or fur just happened to lay the wrong way to look like something else. Oz is definetely neutered. I had him done way back when he was little.

Thanks for the info on the plug-ins. I'm glad I didn't waste my money on the other brand in Pet-Valu.

Roxi just got her first booster today! She weighs .96 kg (2.1 lbs). This is her second checkup and again the vet could hear her heart murmur. Hopefully it will be just a kitten heart murmur and she'll grow out it. The first vet (usual vet) said she might not. (same clinic with several vets).