Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 1st, 2009, 12:41 PM

Scared for my dog

Hi Everyone,

My 10 year old golden retriever Jake (jakie as we like to call him) was just admitted to the vet clinic on Monday morning....I'm really scared for him.

On Sunday, he began retching...He had played earlier on in the day, ate his food, had a regular bowel movement, etc. The retching started and would happen about once every few hours. It then started to pick up and happened about every 1 hour. It sounded like a very dry, painful retch...Nothing similar to what I've heard before when he's tried to vomit. It almost sounded like he was choking.

A couple times he managed to throw something up- some bile and what looked like a bit of blood. He felt rather warm also.

We had noticed that he was retching a few weeks ago, it only happened once for about 1 minute and we thought he got overexcited when he saw my brother in law (while they were playing)

We took him to the vets and the ran blood tests which came up clear. They took a chest xray and something was evident - they mentioned something about the "density in his lungs". My vet said he wasn't completley sure so said we should have someone come in and do a chest ultrasound. I haven't got the results yet, I'm just really scared to know what it could be.

My vet admitted he looked really healthy on the outside...but that something was going on. They have him on an IV, and said the retching has lessened a little bit.

There is no way its kennel cough, or I would think it'd be highly unlikely. His brother Copper was never sick....And they are unseperable.

I love my dogs with all my heart and I'm completely terrified for Jake.
My last dog went to the vets (a different one)...was perfectly healthy when we dropped him off and became sick when we came back. The clinic ran a whole bunch of tests and said they couldn't find anything. He was only 8....and died of heart failure in my fathers arms right after the surgery. The clnic cremated our dog without our permission within days.

Any help is greatly appreciated....Thank you so much.
Old April 1st, 2009, 01:53 PM
Senior Contributor

I can't offer any information but wanted to wish you the best of luck. I hope there is no serious issue. When I was reading that he was throwing up, I thought maybe he has some sort of bacteria in his tummy. Mine all just went through a bout of something. But it sounds like your guy has something totally different.

Keep us updated.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old April 1st, 2009, 07:28 PM

There is something definitely up with your dog. I have read that not all vomit that has blood in it comes from the digestive tract. It can also mean that there is bleeding in the respiratory tract and instead of it coming out as cough, it comes out as vomit. (That density in his lungs can be some blood, I hope not!) Anyway, do keep us updated! I hope you dog is well and good!
Old April 2nd, 2009, 10:37 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

No suggestions, Tanya...just and that Jake is better today. It's so scary when they're sick and you don't know what's wrong with them

Please let us know how he's doing.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 2nd, 2009, 11:55 PM
Senior Contributor

So sorry to hear about your dog Tanya. He's in the best hands possible at the vet clinic.

I experienced my dog 'wretching' a while ago - it started out of the blue, and was really scary. She sounded like she was dry-heaving, or trying to throw up, but nothing ever came up. (The vet later told us that this was because she was not wretching at all, but rather coughing.) They did blood tests and x-rays to rule out kennel cough, and her lungs came back looking like they had fluid in them. Turns out she had a viral pneumonia, that a few days of anti-inflammatorys and antibiotics cleared up quickly.

Unfortunatley I'm not sure what's wrong with your dog...I just wanted to let you know my somewhat similiar experience and let you know that everything turned out okay. It's so scary to not know whats going on with our pets - so it's important that we provide them with the best possible care which you have done.

Keep us posted - we'll be thinking of your golden!

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old April 3rd, 2009, 12:32 AM

I'm so sorry about what you're going through with Jake...poor baby!!! I understand!!! I looked online for his symptoms and found this website: http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...tching-gagging

I hope that it can give you some answers and hopefully help Jake get better. Be strong and give him big kisses on his nose from me!!!!