Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 29th, 2009, 10:21 PM

Aggressive behavior after spaying

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this site and was hoping that someone could give me advice on the strange changes in behavior my miniature schnauzer puppy (9 months old) has been displaying.

My puppy, Jezebel (I know, clearly I was asking for trouble) is normally an extremely affectionate dog and a very valued member or our family and I'm really concerned about her. When she was a younger puppy she was very apt to bite and snap while playing and we worked hard through bite inhibition training to get her to stop. We got her too young as we came to realize after the fact (at six weeks) and she didn't have those valuable weeks from 6-8 to learn to bite and play with her brothers and sisters. The last few months she hardly bitten at all and she has been fully potty trained for approx. 5 months with literally no accidents.

Right after she turned seven months she experienced her first heat (that really snuck up on us) and as soon as she was finished I decided to have her spayed. I took her to a new and highly recommended vet in our area for the surgery and since we were new I took her an a few days before the procedure for a physical where the vet fully examined her. The only thing he found was that her ears were infected and prescribed medicine. Otherwise he deemed her to be in perfect health.

The following week she was spayed and the procedure went well. She healed great and the last time I brought her in to get her stitches out our Vet examined her ears again and said they look fantastic. Also, prior to the procedure I had them do a full blood work up and during the procedure she had i.v., ekg monitoring her heart etc. So, she has recently had some pretty thorough testing done.

Essentially as soon as her stitches were removed she has had several accidents in the house which as I said she hasn't for months and has returned to biting for fun (will just start out of the blue and lunge at you while you are sitting on the couch or go nuts biting ankles and feet while walking accross the room etc.) with a vengence. It happens several times a day for over a week now and she is very persistant once she has started and it is, of course, very painful and a particular issue when she starts in on our nine year old daughter. Since the behavior was so much improved to the point of no longer being an issue I am shocked and perplexed to see her acting aggresively and more aggressively than she ever had previously.

I have no problem with taking her to the Vet and plan to later this week but since she just had a full exam and blood work I am wondering if it were a medical issue if it would have been caught already.

Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the crazy length, I didn't mean to write a novella :-).

Sincerely,

Lori
Old March 30th, 2009, 07:15 PM
-

Duplicate thread and replies have been posted here .....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....d=1#post763362
Old October 19th, 2011, 09:59 PM

In regards to the aggresive behaviour after spaying... I am in almost the exact same situation as the original post by Lori...My 8 month old Bernese was spayed last week and it seems all the hard work we have done in obedience classes has flown out the window and I now have this biting aggresive dog again. She also was taken at 6 weeks (will never do that again) and was always nipping and barking at me when she was disciplined. I had finally gotten her to a point where I felt we had made some great achievements and now I feel like i have made a huge mistake by having her spayed if this behavior is resurfacing. I would like to tell myself that perhaps she just has some hormone issues that need to resolve themselves and that perhaps her behavior is just a result of her being a bit uncomfortable while she is healing, but she has also begun barking while she is outside which she rarely did before. I also am worried and frustrated.
Old October 21st, 2011, 04:34 PM

Adolescence

There are some things we will never know about our pets, but one thing for sure they do go through an adolescence. Though this in itself may not be responsible for all of the behaviours it may very well be a contributing factor.
Also many dogs do act out after their people have been on a trip and she may resent having been sent away...but this part is speculation. Im sorry I cant advise you on the peeing part- I only have boys. Best of Luck!
Old October 21st, 2011, 05:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Having a dog spayed is not going to change the behaviour..especially aggressive behaviour.
Your dog may be experiencing discomfort or pain.
The inability to actually verbally express this is obvious. Us humans at the very least can say when we are hurting or in pain..especially after surgery.

Ensure to go back to basics. Reinstate the training schedules.
Don't forget, surgery of any kind to an animal is tramatic. If humans can be cranky after having surgery, then surely animals can be as well.

If the behaviour persists, then consult with your vet and when medical issue is ruled out, consult with a trainer to get you back on track.