Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 31st, 2009, 08:06 AM

Sorry for the confusion. My husband is on his way to the vet right now. I was up all night with Dillon. She didn't sleep at all last night and hasn't had a BM in days. It was obvious how uncomfortable she was and her stomach has become distended. We felt is was best to take her as soon as possible to ease her pain. Right after I answered the post by growler I asked my husband to ask the vet if her problem could be due to a bowel or intestinal problem but he said he didn't want to put her through anymore. It was my last attempt to save her!!

I'm so, so sad right now and I'm going to miss her dearly!! She's been my best friend for 20 years and I love her so much !! Whenever I was upset, Dillon would jump up on me and touch my face with her paws as if to make me feel better. I can't believe she's gone. She's a beautiful soul!

I want to thank everyone for your support!! You've been such a comfort to me and a shoulder to lean on.
Old March 31st, 2009, 03:30 PM

Dillon went very peacefully and wasn't afraid at all. My hubby carried her in wrapped in her favorite blanket which ended up being the best thing to do. We also didn't put her in the carrier but instead let her lay on the car seat while being petted the whole time. I guess I knew after all what was best for her. Dillon ended up being very ill and the vet said she was "filled with stool". I don't know if she had a blockage that caused the weakness or she couldn't go to the bathroom due to her muscle weakness. Either way, she's at peace and I can't look back and ask "What if..?" I can only take solace in the fact that she's no longer in pain or scared wondering why her legs didn't work. Her ashes are being returned back to us. I'm sending hugs to all of you who helped me through this..
Old March 31st, 2009, 03:49 PM
Skylar's Farm

I share your sadness......losing a fur buddy is so painful.
Take comfort from the fact that your sweet Dillon had a long life as a cherished pet and she was able to pass away safely and in peace.
Her systems were shutting down.....she tried her best and so did you......
Old March 31st, 2009, 04:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Smithduke,I have taken all my sick kitties myself,my husband just could not and if you have a very sick animal,the passing is peaceful,it's like they go to sleep.
It of course does not make it easier,you lose your cherished kitty and they leave a huge empty space in your heart,but you can take solace in knowing,there is no more pain or suffering.
beautiful little Dillon.
Old March 31st, 2009, 04:44 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

sweet Dillon
to you smithduke. I feel your pain. You know where we are.....
Old March 31st, 2009, 07:46 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm so sorry for your loss. I held my Den-Den2 when he passed and I can tell you it's very peaceful. It was the hardest thing I ever had to do. I wish I could give you a
Old March 31st, 2009, 08:17 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I am so sorry for your loss. May you find peace during this difficult time.

RIP Dillon

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old March 31st, 2009, 09:15 PM

Ohh..I'm crying right now as I read your kind thoughts!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! It's so comforting to know how much you understand! I know that my Dilly Beans is at peace but I'm sad I waited the extra day, knowing how uncomfortable she was last night. My dear, wonderful husband was willing to take her and he's just as sad as I am! I started this thread because I was so upset at the thought of Dillon being afraid but I think when it came down to it, I knew what was best for her. Dillon was calm and felt very loved. That's all I ever wanted when her time came. Each and everyone who responded to me are here because you care about others and I know your pets are very, very lucky to have such wonderful people who love them. When their time comes, I have no doubt you'll do exactly what's right for them too!
Old March 31st, 2009, 11:03 PM

sweet Dillon She is playing at the Rainbow Bridge with those who've gone before

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying

Vindication ~ For all those pets who became sick or lost their lives from tainted pet food
Old April 1st, 2009, 12:22 AM

Growler, thanks for The Rainbow Bridge. I still can't believe my Dillon is gone. I'm going to miss her body against my leg when we sleep in bed. She used to climb on me when I was laying on my side and mould herself into my hip. Whenever I cried she would come up to my face and pat it as if to tell me to stop crying. Dillon was extremely sensitive to my emotions and we were really in sync with each other! At times I"m "OK" and then I break down. I knew it wouldn't last forever but I'm so thankful that I had her in my life at all! :l ovestruck:
Old April 1st, 2009, 12:26 AM

happycats, I love your "signature"! It's so true and we would be nothing without our animal friends!!

"What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
Old April 1st, 2009, 12:44 AM

So very sorry for your loss.

The Last Battle

If it should be that I grow frail and weak,
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
then you must do what must be done
For this, the last battle, can't be won.

You will be sad, I understand,
Don't let the grief then stay your hand,
For this day more than all the rest
Your love and friendship stand the test.

We've had so many happy years,
What is to come can hold no fears.
You'd not want me to suffer so;
When the time comes, please let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend
And stay with me, if you can, to the end.
Hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time, you will see,
It is a kindness you do for me.
Although my tail its last was waved,
From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Don't grieve that it should be you,
Who must decide this thing to do,
We've been so close, we two, these years;
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

Smile, for we walked together for a little while.

- Author Unknown

along with; Dixie, Angel, Dex, Leroy, Babygirl, Harley, Chubby, Jasper, Katie and ole buckethead; Samson

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. Robert A. Heinlein
Old April 1st, 2009, 12:47 AM
Senior Contributor

i'm so sorry for your lost. i remember losing my little one when she was just a year. she had leukemia and her systems started shutting down. I still miss her and its been almost two years. Hope your memories bring you comfort and remember all the good times you have with her.

dillon

Cats leave pawprints on our hearts forever

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Zoey RIP March 2006-April 2 2007
Old April 1st, 2009, 07:14 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about your precious baby . Some animals have a soul connection to us and it sounds like Dillon did to you. She wouldn't want you to be sad, but to rejoice in the years that she had with you.

Dillon

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 1st, 2009, 02:46 PM

I shed a tear reading your posts all the way through. I feel for you, but we are blessed to have our beloved pets by the cost of knowing they will have to pass one day. You spent every moment with your cat cherising and loving each other. Thats all you can ask for.

I have one cat of my own, my very first pet. He is with my parents now, so I do not live with him any longer. I miss him dearly every day, and I know when the day comes when he passes away, it will be difficult.

All my loves and hugs and strenght goes to you!! You are not alone!
Old April 1st, 2009, 02:54 PM
-

My deepest condolences to you and your husband.

Sweet Dillon
Old April 1st, 2009, 03:15 PM
Catlover2

I'm so very sorry to hear of your loss. You did the best for "Dillon"....gave her a peaceful passing in the arms of her love.

"No heaven will not ever Heaven be; unless my cats are there to welcome me." ~ Unknown
Old April 1st, 2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhartjr View Post
So very sorry for your loss.

The Last Battle

If it should be that I grow frail and weak,
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
then you must do what must be done
For this, the last battle, can't be won.

You will be sad, I understand,
Don't let the grief then stay your hand,
For this day more than all the rest
Your love and friendship stand the test.

We've had so many happy years,
What is to come can hold no fears.
You'd not want me to suffer so;
When the time comes, please let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend
And stay with me, if you can, to the end.
Hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time, you will see,
It is a kindness you do for me.
Although my tail its last was waved,
From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Don't grieve that it should be you,
Who must decide this thing to do,
We've been so close, we two, these years;
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

Smile, for we walked together for a little while.

- Author Unknown
So beautiful! Thank you!
Old April 1st, 2009, 10:41 PM

What a terrible time to be going through. I cant' even bear the thought of putting any cat or dog to sleep let alone my own. If your cat is afraid of the vet, do you have a traveling vet service where it can be done at your home? We have one here where I live although I'm not sure if it's any good. Some vets will also do home visits especially if you are a long time client. I'm sure you'll make the right decision when the time comes.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 02:40 AM

Your post is so moving...and I understand how hard it must be for you when she seems fine for the moment. There is nothing harder than parting with a loved one, human or animal, and I am sure that many of us share in your time of sadness...but know that the love and the warmth and comfort of your home that you have given Dillon are a wonderful way to honor her...my heart goes out to you.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 07:25 PM

I'm doing better and I take great comfort that Dillon is at peace and not in pain. Everyone here is so kind. It's odd how some people that I talk to (not here) just can't understand how sad I am about losing Dillon. My experience on pets.ca has been wonderful and it's great to know how much others care! I was wondering, are most of you from Canada? I'm from New Jersey.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 07:36 PM
-

Most memebers are from both Canada and the U.S. but there are folks from all over the world on this site ......it is a great place for animal lovers.

I am glad to hear that you are doing better .....Dillon would like that.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 08:22 PM

I just thought I'd let you know that last week I left a very tearful message on my neighbor's answering machine, who is a Veterinarian, to ask her to come over and help Dillon pass peacefully. She just called back today. Granted she's a part-time vet and has 5 kids under the age of 6. but I was a bit disappointed she waited so long. I called three other vets in the area and no one would come over because they hadn't seen Dillon before. We agreed carrying her in her favorite blanket to our regular vet, who is a 45 minute drive away, and who we've been taking her to since she was a teeny baby, was the best decision. It turned out being very peaceful and calm. Putting her in the carrier is what really freaked her out in the past so that's how we came to the decision to put her on the blanket. It was actually a blessing in disguise (if she had to go) that she couldn't jump or walk because she laid on the seat of the car and she was very comfortable and surprisingly not afraid. Because we've been going to the same vet for 21 years, he's very attached to us and our pets and was very sympathetic. Like I said before, when it, sadly, comes time for your pets to leave you, I know that you will make the right decision about what's best for them. Even if you, at the time, don't feel it's right, because it came from your heart, it will be what was best for your pet. Sorry if I'm babbling on and on.....
Old April 2nd, 2009, 08:30 PM
Kitty pimp

babble away my condolences to all your family
Old April 2nd, 2009, 08:34 PM

Awww...thanks Jim.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 11:29 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm so sorry for your loss, smithduke. It's so hard to let them go, but it's our best last gift to our little ones, to ease them across.

Dillon

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 2nd, 2009, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
It's so hard to let them go, but it's our best last gift to our little ones, to ease them across.

Dillon
So true!!
Old April 3rd, 2009, 02:55 AM
Live well, laugh often

Lots of hugs for you and your family .

It is obvious that Dillon was well loved and you honored that with the best gift you could have given her .
Old April 3rd, 2009, 07:03 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I'm so sorry for your loss, smithduke. It's so hard to let them go, but it's our best last gift to our little ones, to ease them across.

Dillon
Amen!

Babble away smithduke, we are here to listen.

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 3rd, 2009, 07:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Smithduke,like others say,babble all you want,although I don't see it as babble