Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 27th, 2009, 11:14 AM

pneumonia!

My poor little 6month pyr has had a myriad of issues since we got her 1 month ago. Giardia, UTI.... and now bacterial pneumonia!
It started when we brought her in for her spay Wed night (clinic i go to in the t-dot keeps them evening prior and night of....). She was fine, no issues in pre-op blood work completed the week before. (i think most likely due to just finishing the course of clavamox for the UTI) Yesterday morning they called as she spiked fever (41.5C) and was lethargic with a slight cough. They cancelled her spay, said they'd hang on to her for the day, try to get her to eat and let me know how she was doing. About lunch, they called me saying she ate and was back to herself (no fever); I could pick her up after work and we would see how she was doing for the next couple of days and rebook. Well i got super worried when they called at 3:45 pm to tell me she was fevered and lethargic and they were on the fence to retest. I sent the manfriend to pick her up and i met them at the vets; they agreed to hang on to her till late evening for more bloodwork, chest x-rays and iv antibiotics. We went back at 10:30 pm (vet opened late during the week... really handy!) and we saw our poor little Loo-Loo's lungs half greyish. Our vet said that in 11 yrs, she's seen 3 cases and they've all been within the last month!
She's on Clavamox again... 2 weeks... and we need to go back for more x-rays next week.
But i'm just happy to know, you know! And this morning she was her alert self with a waggy bum... just slow moving like when i have the flu.
Old March 27th, 2009, 02:25 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Best of luck with Loo-Loo, kwilli!

I know what you're saying about being happy to know--much better that they don't have an issue, but if they do, you sure do feel better knowing what you're fighting! Poor girl has had a bit of a rough go so far--here's hoping that she kicks this quickly and is back to her old self soon!

Keep us posted on how she's doing!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 27th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Senior Contributor

My puppy also had a viral pneumonia about a month ago (she would've been about 3 1/2 months at the time). It was scary as we weren't sure what was happening - she woke us up around 2am, drooling, unable to lie down and get comfortable, coughing, etc. (I actually thought her coughing was dry-heaving, which the vet corrected me on.)
We took her to emerg and she was immediatley diagnosed with it. About 3 days on antibotics and she was completley fine!

Scary though, I feel your pain. Glad to hear your pup is okay!

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)