Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 26th, 2009, 12:50 PM

kittens dont want mommy anymore!!!

The 6 kittens who are 5 weeks old, dont want their mommy, they cry constantly at the door, wanting to come out, the mom is distant and also cries to come out...they started solid food. Any advice? why do they need to be with us so much?

Also, they were in a box which they do not want anymore, they climb out and are free in the room!!
Old March 26th, 2009, 12:58 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Normal. They want to socialize. It is normal for the weaning process to start at this age. They do still want momma. Just not as much. Maybe only a few times a day as opposed to every couple of hours. Nothing to worry about. From the pics you posted they are a healthy, happy bunch. Good job!! Mom also wants out. She is probably bored in the one room. She may also want to hunt so she can feed her babies. She would have been used to doing that when she was living in the barn. She may be in heat also.
Old March 26th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Yup, sounds normal to me. At 5 weeks old momma should be going out to hunt to bring back live prey for her babies. The kittens are more interested in playing and exploring than momma (until they are hungry or frightened). They know there is a great big world past the door.

Sweet Pea would go hunting for her stuffies, cry out for her kittens and they would go to her to see what she had .

Sweet Pea's kittens were climbing out of the box at about 4 weeks. As soon as they could move and figure out how to climb out.

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 26th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Kitty pimp

yup you have a bunch of curios kitties now the fun begins
Old March 26th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hall View Post
yup you have a bunch of curios kitties now the fun begins
sure does.

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 26th, 2009, 02:22 PM

The fun begins yep! well I'm glad it's a normal reaction...one of the kittens has not started eating, not interested, all he wants is my arms to sleep in! I must admit it is funny to see them walk and run around!

thanks
Old March 26th, 2009, 02:27 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCO350 View Post
The fun begins yep! well I'm glad it's a normal reaction...one of the kittens has not started eating, not interested, all he wants is my arms to sleep in! I must admit it is funny to see them walk and run around!

thanks
Awww sweet I had a few like that too. Wanted cuddles more than food. Love it!!
If you are concerned try putting a little on your finger and then rubbing his nose. He will (or should) lick his nose to get it off. That usually is enough to get them at least interested in eating solids. You may have to let him lick it off your finger for a while though.
Old March 26th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Senior Contributor

For us, the quads were all eating solid food at 5 weeks, the boys a bit earlier. They did love to nurse on mama though. We brought them in at almost 6 weeks old, they were "milking" her dry - she was so skinny. I think she would have fed them many more weeks, but it wasn't necessary.

They loved us and liked being inside but they would've driven their mama crazy had we let them out with her. (reminder - she was half wild at that time).

Good luck with the babies,
Diane
Old March 26th, 2009, 07:20 PM
I'm a softy

personally i would never take kittens away from momma at that age, they are not going to drive her crazy, a mother will naturaly keep her kittens for 3 months, or longer.

At 5 weeks, yup they are ready to explore, usually they leave their nest even earlier, sometimes almost never returning, they will track mom down when they want a snack and usually she will nurse them on the spot. It never fails, on kitten will decide they want a snack, so mom will lay down in the middle of the floor and then a few minutes later all the babies will be nursing in the middle of the living room! Mom is still there to teach them things. If you have ever observed a feral mother, they will start bringing mice back at this age, dead, then really injured and let the kitten 'catch' it, gradually she brings them back a little less injured so the kittens can practise hunting them, it is amazing. If you have a mother that goes outside and the kittens are inside she will bring the mice in the house, I have seen it before! At 5 or 6 weeks, and beyond there are still times that they will cry for mom, and she will be there for them, this is a very important time in their development, a lot of people think that if they are eating on their own, then the moms job is done, it is simply not true.
Old March 27th, 2009, 11:35 AM

Your kittens probably prefer playing with you, to playing with Momma. I know my kittens did. By the time they were old enough to escape the kitten corner (5 1/2 - 6 1/2 weeks) Momma was no longer as interested in spending all day with them. She came to feed them, and then supervised from the highest place she sould get to, where the kittens couldn't reach yet. She wasn't as willng to be mauled either. People, on the other hand, were endlessly fascinating. They were always doing something that could be turned into a game and weren't nearly as testy as momma about being climbed on.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old March 27th, 2009, 01:14 PM
I'm a softy

remember though, mom getting mad at them for playing with her, and climbing on her is not a sign she is sick of the babies, that is how they are taught manners and respect, ect.. she is teaching them what is acceptable and what is not, it is not a sign that she is done with her babies.
Old March 27th, 2009, 01:29 PM

Managed to feed the little one with my finger, he ate everything...that,s the good news. I've put a second litter for the kittens, I thought maybe they would start using it but nope...they do it on the floor! Guess it,s not part of mommy's job to teach them

They are still crying at the door, they do settle down a bit for a nap...but boy they sure need attention...now I have the other 3 kittens with mommy in the house entrance to cope with, they're 1 week younger and started to come out of the box...Didn't think it was so much to deal with! The vet hospital will be taking them at 8 weeks, I will definetly miss them all.
Old March 27th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Kitty pimp

wellyou can always keep a few ....
Old March 27th, 2009, 06:24 PM
150% PRO S/N

Last year I had a litter in the greenhouse then moved to porch, one in the house, one in the garage. The feral mommas were excellent at watching the babies. I had been feeding them for a long time so they were used to me coming and going. They weren't crazy about me playing with the babies but they got used to it. Because my cats were feral and I was afraid of them getting pregnant again I took the kittens at eight weeks. One momma I made a weaning sock. She wasn't separated from the kitties but I needed her dried up so she could be fixed. The sock made it so kittens couldn't get to the teats. They still snuggled with mom though. Some people don't agree with it but you do what you have to do. Every situation is different.
It's strange that mom didn't teach the kittens to use the litter box. I never had an issue with that. But then she would be used to the barn where she found her own spots to use. She maybe feels that's what the kittens will do and therefore is not showing them the box. Maybe until they start to use the box you can restrict the area they are allowed in. It may sound not nice but you don't need kitty pee and feces all through your house either.
It is hard to give the little ones up but you know they are going to a good spot. You are doing a wonderful thing!!
Old March 27th, 2009, 06:32 PM
I'm a softy

my moms have also usually taught the kitties.. But I also think I give them less solid food at that age then you are, They are used to mom cleaning them and she will not clean the poop from solid food. Usually a mother will lead them to the box after a meal, are you feeding them the food together with mom? You might want to try that. Otherwise after they are done eating take them to the box, you can use a cotton ball to rub on their bummies to stimulate them to go when they are at the box, mimics their mom licking them to make them go, which is what she has been doing from birth till now. Once you get them to go in there they should continue to do so. That is what I have done for babies with no mom and it worked...