Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 24th, 2009, 11:54 PM

Question Lola post rabbies shot...please help me understand!

Hello...I registered onto this website in hopes that someone can help me understand my 2 1/2 yr old jack russell/chihuahua's reaction to her rabbies shot. This is her story...

I took her to the groomers on Saturday morning while I went to work for just a couple of hrs. The groomers informed me that her rabbies shot was expired and that she was due for them. There is a vet attached to the groomers and they just happened to have a special on vaccinations on Saturday mornings.

They weren't ready for her when I went in, but they said that I could leave her with the groomers and they could bring her in when they were ready for her. I paid and signed the necessary paperwork and informed them that I would be back in 2 hrs.

2 hrs later I picked her up and she was groomed and ready to go. She was all of Saturday. By Sunday afternoon she couldn't stand. She doesn't have diahrea, still has an appetite, and hasn't thrown up.

Her ears are pulled back from the pain. She is able to pee and poo but you can tell she is in pain when she puts her hind legs on the ground. Even when she is laying, she is shaking.

I called the vet on Monday and the front desk said that it could be the rabbies shot and to give it 24-48 hrs. It is now Tuesday evening and she is having a harder time standing.

When I read the reviews on this particular vet, there was very low rating. One pet owner said that her chihuahua was misdiagnosed twice and that she developed seroma from her last rabbies injection there. Could this be symptoms? If they are responsible for this, could I have them cover the cost of fixing whatever they may have caused? How long should I wait? Please help me, I don't want to be an irresponsible pet owner - I love my Lola and want the best for her!
Old March 25th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

It almost sounds like her back hurts. Do you have a regular vet you can take her to for a check? It does sound like she should be checked as soon as you can manage it.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 25th, 2009, 12:16 AM

Unfortunately reactions from vaccines are becoming far more common than most people realize. Usually there is pain/soreness at the injection site, some minor swelling, the animal is lethargic for the rest of the day and some do develop a fibrous lump, which can take months to appear, where the vaccine was given.

Is there an emergency vet in your area perhaps you can call and ask if they think you should bring her in? Or take her into your regular vet first thing tomorrow morning, not back to the same vet who did the rabies vaccine.

I'm quite leery of places that offer special deals like that especially if you don't regularly deal with that vet practice, personally I think you should find a new groomer too

for little Lola

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying

Vindication ~ For all those pets who became sick or lost their lives from tainted pet food
Old March 25th, 2009, 03:17 AM

Red face Thank you...

I am so glad I registered into this website!
I really appreciate the advise and will be taking her in to her regular vet tomorrow morning. I will keep this thread in the loop with updates...thank you again - just the communication alone gives me comfort and hope that she will pull through!
Old March 25th, 2009, 09:52 PM

Wow...what a story! I believe many problems are cause directly and indirectly by vaccines. I believe that everything that has the potential to help in the medical world also has a potential to harm, and vaccines are no different.

I hope your baby is feeling better! I know how worried I would feel if this happened to one of my pets.

Just know that there are people out there that love their animals as much as you do. Its hard when something like this happens when you're just trying to do the right thing.

Let us know how it all works out...
Come Visit Us! http://myminizoo.wordpress.com
Old March 25th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Master of the Drool!

Hey and Welcome!!! Sorry it wasn't for a better reason...hope Lola is feeling better soon. I would call another vet just to be on the safe side.
AHHHH They are a year old already!!!!