Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old December 14th, 2008, 07:43 AM

Collie X

My 8 year old son and I are thinking about getting a "collie x" puppy. This will be a new experience for both of us as neither of us has ever owned a dog. We do, however, have a 14 year old cat.
I'm looking for any advice anyone can give me with respect to collie x puppies being good family dogs, able to live in a home where, from Monday to Friday, he will need to be penned as we leave the home at 8 and don't return until 6. WE have a big back yard which I will have an outdoor pen built for non-wintery days but other than that he will have to be in his/her crate.
Walking and playing with the dog will be an enjoyable time for both of us - I'm simply concerned about the time we won't be with the dog and whether or not it is a type of dog that can adjust to that. Also, are they very trainable dogs as I plan on sending the dog and my son to dog "training" school.

Help - any advice at all is most welcome

"thinking about being a first time dog owner"
Old December 14th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Molly's mama

Hi Val and welcome to the forum!
Is there any certain reason you are planning on getting a "Collie x"? Is it a Border Collie cross? What is it crossed with?
More importantly, where are you getting the dog from? Hopefully a shelter or rescue group!
Old December 14th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Senior Contributor

how old are the puppies? when puppies are 8 weeks they need to be let out every couple of hours. And 8am-6pm is too long even for an adult dog to hold it in. (think of the size of your bladder and think how much smaller a dogs is would you be able to hold it for 10 hours everyday?) So you would definitely need to invest in a dog walker to come over during the day to let your dog out.

Collies are HIGH energy breeds. They will require ALOT of exercise which includes running, walks and alot of mental challenges. I would say a couple hours a day actively playing and working with your dog but again it all depends on the individual dog. Do not consider time they are in the yard by themselves as exercise. An underexercised dog is very destructive.

All dogs are highly trainable- You will find training easy of you get professional help are committed to being consistent and use positive methods

Will the dog be your or your sons or a family dog? There are many people who get pets for their kids but end up getting sent to the shelter when the kids lose interest after realizing how much work a dog can be.

I know border collies can be known for nipping at kids when they are running around because they are trying to herd them but im sure their are some border collie owners on the forum who can give you more information specific to the breed if it is a border collie.

I would research collies about the grooming, energy and food needs as well as the common problems that come with the breed.

Will you be getting insurance for your pet? unexpected vet costs are another top reason pets are PTS or sent to shelters its important to know prior to getting a dog how you will pay for emergency vet bills. Keeping an emergency credit card is also another way to hav money put aside just in case puppies get in to ALOT and it is almost guaranteed that there will be an unexpected vet visit within its first year.

Also I would making OB classes something the whole family attends not just your son and the dog OB works best if everyone is consistent with expectations at all time and are giving the same commands and rewards.

I would be cautious of outdoor pens. what if your dog barks and disturbs the neighbors? also outdoor pens can be dangerous, dogs can break out and escape, poisonings both accidental and intentional have been known to happen to dogs when they are unsupervised.

How much of a neat freak can you be? how are you going to react when puppy pees on the rug?

I would suggest buying some puppy training books and researching training methods PRIOR to bringing your pup home training should start the second you take your puppy home so its getting clear messages and your not trying to undo bad behaviors later.

Also you will need to puppy proof your house before you take puppy home. you can look this up online and it will tell you how to do this

Best of luck with whatever your decision is!
Logan - Rescued Husky cross
Aiden- Rescued husky cross