Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a dog - listings

Old August 5th, 2004, 04:36 PM

Exclamation Advice on getting a new dog

Hello,

I was just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction on this issue. I've been wanting another canine pet since our beloved Golden Retriever Jessie died about 2-3 years ago from cancer. Now, my mother truly loved this pet and it was absolutely devasting when she died (my father even cried). Now, I know my father wants another dog but my mother doesn't. She feels she'd be trying to replace Jessie. I believes she'd feel guilty by accepting another dog. Any recommendations? Should I try to get another dog? Maybe get a diff'n breed? I know that once we have one she'll love him/her just as she did Jessie. Any advice would be great right now! I'm going mad without a walking partner!!!!
Old August 5th, 2004, 05:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Sounds like my mom when we lost are dog. My dad and I wanted another dog she did not. So I went to a breeder (I was young and did not know about rescues back then) with my dad and we told the breeder that we weren't sure about my mom and that she might not let us keep her. She agreed to let us pay for her and take her home. If things did not go well she would give my dad his cheque back and take the puppy back. Well we took her home and within 2 minutes of walking in the house she was on the floor playing with her. Then my dad said that he had to take her back but just wanted my mom to meet her. My moms response over my dead body is this dog going anywhere. She did not replace our dog she just joined our family as a new member.
Old August 5th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Senior Contributor

It hurts so terribly when we lose a furry companion. But opening our hearts to another is actually a tribute to the one we lost. It's an acknowledgment that our lives aren't complete without that big hole being filled. If the absent pet was a horrible experience, I could understand someone saying they never want another. But I think all of us understand the joys derived are so much greater than the sorrows when we lose them. I can't imagine not having a little furry face to snuggle with.
Old August 5th, 2004, 07:03 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Never give a pet as a gift EVER! The person who is going to accept this pet into their family has to make the initiative on their own to adopt a dog.

If she's computer savy then hook her up to www.petfinder.com and do a search for rescue dogs in your state/city. Seeing the pictures and reading the profiles may help her out.

However, don't rush what can't be rushed and dont' just go get a dog on her behalf...this has to be her decision. Pets are committments and maybe she wants some time without that as well. All up to her
Old August 5th, 2004, 07:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Agree with Luba - never give pets as surprise gifts!

You might tell your mom that she isn't being disloyal by getting another dog - she would be honouring her old pal's memory by giving a sad, homeless and lonely dog a loving home!
Old August 5th, 2004, 07:39 PM
Senior Contributor

I know of a young Golden who is being dumped by it's owner right now in Montreal.

Let me know if your mom is interested.
Old August 6th, 2004, 12:36 PM

Smile Thank you for the advice!! :)

I just wanted to thank you all for the great advice! I know I shouldn't surprise her with a new dog though it has been tempting!! I go on the animatch, rosie animal adoption, luck and FCC websites atleast once a week! I've spoken to my mother just this morning and she's much better about the idea!

Lucky, do you know why the Golden is being dumped? Does it have behavioural problems? I think we would be very interested to see it!!!

Thanks again!!

Joelle
Old August 6th, 2004, 12:55 PM
Senior Contributor

From what I know, the dog doesnt' have behavioral problems and is being dumped for the usual reasons - allergies or "no time" or whatever.

I can get more info if you like and some specifics about the dog.

I wasn't paying much attention, but I'll find out.