Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old May 24th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Oh my goodness they are getting so big . Momma and daddy must be going 24/7 trying to keep these tummy's full.

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old May 25th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

In a few days we will have them running across the ledge! They get so big so fast!

You will also notice in about a week their dark feathers will start coming in! they look really weird like that!

I saw them about 1/2 hour ago with one adult on the ledge like the pic and the other roosting on top of the camera just keepinh watch!

Oh and I am going to take a stab at it and say that this biggest one is definately a female! I need a few more days for the rest!
Attached Images

Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old May 25th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Senior Contributor

That will be so scary,the running on the ledge I mean,what if they fall??
Maybe mom or dad is watching over them
Old May 25th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

having a little pow wow before bed! Isnt that cute!
Attached Images

Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old May 26th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Awwww.

Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old May 26th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Aww those little fluffy heads,they are really cute
Old May 27th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Well it didnt take long! their on the move!

Wont be long before their up on the ledge!
Attached Images

Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old May 27th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh no,did any of the babies over the years fall off the ledge??
But OMG are they ever growing fast
Old May 27th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Yes Chico it has happened before! we had some bad little boys that used to torment their sister and they knocked her off! she was okay though!

It is enough to drive you crazy when I am out on a falconwatch and I see them on the ledge chasing each other or bumping into one another and then one time I looked away for a second and one was gone! OMG I thought it fell or something and it had hopped back in the nest on me!

I worry more about their first flight than I do about them falling off the ledge cause there ar so many things to get in their way on first flight and their not always the strongest on first flight. Usually after the first couple of flights they simply amaze you with their grace!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old May 30th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Update from the site!

RAIN, RAIN, GO AWAY!

May 27, 2009 - The chicks have grown so much so quickly that experienced Falconwatchers think at least three and perhaps all four chicks are female. This isn't a put down of males - female Peregrines are always heavier than their brothers. We will know better next week when the birds are banded. The image at left was taken at 19:11 this evening as the youngsters took the opportunity to shower in the rain that is going to be with us for at least another day. Thanks to an observant on-line Falconwatcher we now know who removed 'The Weed' - the birds did it themselves. Around 13:12 on May 21 everybody moved into the corner of the ledge nearest the camera, and bit by bit the weed was pushed over. We'll get it removed next week. Stay tuned as the chicks grow more. A few of their darker juvenile flight feathers are starting to show.
Attached Images

Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old May 30th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Senior Contributor

OMG,are they ever growing fast,with all the rain,I thought you would say their ledge was flooded,but fortunately not
Old May 30th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

No Chico we have been very fortunate in that regard! there is a lot of gravel in the ledge and a drain! also there are so many people watching this family grow we could hopefully deal with any problems. we always have someone reasonably close to the site to observe whats going on!

They are sooo cute! yeah for 4 girls!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old June 1st, 2009, 04:03 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

BANDING DAY TOMORROW 10AM!

If your interested you will see some activity in the nest prior to the banding and then after their return where they show off the new bling to Mom and Day!
Heres a pic from the site with some of the dark feathers starting to come in today!

Here is an update from the site! I will try to get some pics but I am at street level so not sure how they will turn out!

June 1, 2009 - If around 9:30 tomorrow morning you see a pair of feet in the webcam picture, don't worry! A climber will be descending from the roof of the Sheraton to the nest ledge. The chicks will be placed in a container, then raised up and brought inside the hotel to be checked over by biologists. After being weighed, banded and named they will be returned to the nest. In the picture at left, captured just before 10 o'clock this morning, Madame X can be seen feeding the smallest of the four youngsters, and perhaps filling them all in on what is going to happen tomorrow. The dark lines on the chicks' sides are their dark juvenile flight feathers clearly starting to show.
Attached Images

Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old June 1st, 2009, 05:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Winston,I'll check the video-thingy at 9:30am,what an adventure for the little guys!
But you know,it's soooo nice that people care that much
Old June 1st, 2009, 06:06 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Well Chico that is one thing about some of laws here that do work. Pergrines were on the Endangered Species list for many many years as a result of large use of DDT in the years before we knew any different! but now as of a couple of years ago they are now just threatened.

Stats still show a very high mortality rate for these beauties but as they say "only the strong will survive!"

Madame X is such a creature! she is our Martiarch in the Hamilton Nest! and she is a fiesty yet ferocious bird with a certain love for her babes! If you watch her tomorrow live she will be most certainly going after the man that climbs in the nest and you will be able to see that! Madame X and Surge will be defending it with a lot of hostility thats for sure! It takes awhile for them to get started with it all..they ususally set up the ropes and gear and then the fella climbs over the ledge at the top of the hotel and rapels himself down into the nest..all along Madame X and Surge will be letting him know that are not happy! I think Madame X somehow knows that they are brought backk but she still goes crazy every time! Anyway its fun to watch if you have the time and patience to watch it unfold.!!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old June 1st, 2009, 06:15 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Awww, they are getting so big.

Thanks for keeping us updated, winston

Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:06 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Meet Dixon, Durand, Strathcona, and Gleig

Banding Day was a great success ! I took pictures but had to leave the camera at work so I will post them if any turn out! I have to say this was the most aggressive I have ever seen Madam X and she actually connected with the climber in the middle of his back and also on the head on at least 3 occasions..thank goodness they where protective hats!

We have some MIGHT BIG BIRDS on our hands! guess they are feeding well

Here is the update from the site!

Chico did you get to watch live?

THREE GIRLS AND A GUY!

June 2, 2009 - June 2, 2008: Everyone, meet Dixon, Durand, Gleig and Strathcona! Our chicks were retrieved from the nest ledge today by climber John Millar, assisted by Chris Phinney. They were named after two former Falconwatchers, Len Dixon and Don Gleig, and two of the historic Hamilton neighbourhoods the Peregrines use regularly for food trips, and will use soon for training flights. The birds were banded by Anne Yagi of the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources (OMNR). As we expected based on the birds' sizes from the video camera, we have three females and one male, all VERY healthy. Dixon, who weighed in at 690g, is the only male. Strathcona (1014g) and Durand (1040g) are big but Gleig (1049g) is, we believe, the largest Sheraton Hamilton chick ever banded.

Dixon was named for the late Len Dixon who in 1994, while a Supervisor for the Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board, was the first person to identify the unusual bird flying around the Sheraton as a Peregrine Falcon. Don Gleig, who was also very active in the Hamilton Boy Scout organization, was Co-Lead Monitor of Falconwatch in 1998-99 and a Senior Monitor after that. Sadly, Len passed away a year ago, and Don just this past April.

Madame X and Surge were very active during the banding. 'X' was especially aggressive, only settling down when her chicks were returned safely to the nest and the intruders completely gone. In the image at left Madame X is seen giving John Millar a piece of her mind as he gathers the youngsters for their upward journey.

As soon as possible we will have some close up pictures of the chicks. Stay tuned!

The actual on-street Falconwatch will start sometime around June 11-12. As always, volunteers are needed. If you can contribute some time in two-hour shifts over a period of three weeks we would like to hear from you. Please email us at: falconwatch@hwcn.org
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old June 3rd, 2009, 09:51 AM
Senior Contributor

No,I did not,something came up:sad:
I'll check on the site a little later on,but it sounds amazing,so glad they are all doing ok
Old June 4th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

getting restless in the playpen and stretching those wings..omg its hard to beleive in the next couple of weeks they should be flying!!
Attached Images

Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old June 7th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

OMG the nail biting begins! see the difference a few days makes!
Attached Images

Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old June 7th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Senior Contributor

OMG,they grew fast,is there one missing
Got to check in on the video-cam..
Old June 7th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

they all make it out of the nest and are successful on their first flights

Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old June 7th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Do I only see 3 babies??

Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old June 8th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

L4H all four babes checking out the worls on the other side of that ledge!

Man I am going to miss doing the falconwatch this year! They have changed so much since last Monday whent hey were banded! No longer those fulff balls of white fluff! I actually hate the way they look at this stage! it looks so ratty!
Attached Images

Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old June 8th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Aww there they are,all for of them,phew!!!
They do look ratty,but they will soon become beautiful Falcons,at least Ithey will all be ok.
Old June 9th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I get scared for them when they are on the ledge :sad: What if a gust of wind knocks one down.

Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old June 9th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Testing those big wings!
Attached Images

Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old June 9th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Senior Contributor

OH,I hope they don't test them over the edge
It's amazing how fast they have grown
Old June 10th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Update from the site:

A DAY OF EATING

June 9, 2009 - Falconwatch Coordinator Sandra Davey reports: The main activity for the chicks today seemed to be eating. Between 9AM and 8PM they were fed six times. While four meals consisted of small birds, two were large - probably pigeons. Meal time is usually surprisingly orderly, with the chicks politely taking turns while Madame X feeds them. However, this evening one of the girls must have felt that she wasn't getting her fair share because she stole a piece of food right out of Dixon's mouth! This same youngster grabbed the small bird that Surge dropped off at 7:25 this evening and fed herself in the nest. Somebody had better tell Madame X and Surge that these chicks need to loose some weight if they ever hope to get airborne! With all of this eating going on the youngsters did a lot of napping today, but they also spent time preening and stretching their wings. The image at left, taken late yesterday, clearly shows the difference in size between Dixon (front) and two of his sisters.

Oh an no worries there are still 4 in the nest~
Attached Images

Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old June 10th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Nail Biting Time!! OMG they have been so active today!

and Mom and Dad have been feeding them all day!
Attached Images

Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown