Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 10th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Sleep..What is that?!?

ring around the neck?

Anyone here know what would cause the fur around a cat's neck to look like he has a collar on, but he doesn't? It is just a narrow ring around his neck (mostly in the back) and fluffy on both sides of the indent...like his head is seperated from his shoulders (bobble-head kind of look)...it doesn't seem to be bothering him and I don't see any redness, but I have just noticed it maybe the last day or two...I have tried to get a pic, but alas he looks at me and you can only notice it from the side...

Mom to
Seth - Brown Tabby
Messina - Blonde Tabby
Old March 10th, 2009, 09:10 PM

Is there fur actually missing or is it just parted?

Fur loss around the neck often is caused by food allergies, a collar rubbing, scratching from flea bites, irritation from flea products

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying

Vindication ~ For all those pets who became sick or lost their lives from tainted pet food
Old March 10th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Sleep..What is that?!?

I still can't really touch him to inspect further, but he isn't scratching and we don't use any flea products...food allergies, maybe...you can definately see a seperation between his head and shoulders...it looks to be just parted...it is a very smooth line...not like gobs of fur gone...it looks exactly like he is wearing a collar but he isn't...hasn't for over a month and it just started to look that way...I will ty to get a pic...maybe I can distract him enough for a side shot.

EDIT....here is a shot that kind of shows the area...you can see the dark line that seperates his head from his shoulders...when he gets moving around, that area seperates and it looks like he is wearing a collar...I will see if I can get an actual pic in the morning when he is maybe a little less camera shy...he is too "onto" mommy wanting a pic tonight LoL!
Attached Images

Mom to
Seth - Brown Tabby
Messina - Blonde Tabby

Last edited by TacoGrl; March 10th, 2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old March 15th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Sleep..What is that?!?

I can't get any better pics of him...he is too fast and cunning for me!

We have been playing a lot more and I have had a chance to get really good looks at his fur though...it seems to be corser around his neck than the rest of his body and this I think is what is making it appear thinner...no red marks or scabbing to be seen...perhaps he is just bulking out and fluffing up with a regular diet now...and perhaps mommy should stop worrying so much about him.

Mom to
Seth - Brown Tabby
Messina - Blonde Tabby
Old March 15th, 2009, 11:25 PM
I'm a softy

have you had him a long time or is he a rescue? it kind of looks like what is left sometimes after an embedded collar heals? just a thought.. cuties they are though! cute cute cute!!!!!!! I hope it is nothing, probably is. again I say CUTE I wanna schnuggle em!
Old March 16th, 2009, 02:17 AM

TacoGrl it might just be fur growing back in from when he was wearing a collar, especially if there is no redness, and he's not scratching.

When I took my girls' collar off for good (when she became indoor only) it took a couple of months for the fur in that area to finally grow back in fully and not look like she was still wearing one.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying

Vindication ~ For all those pets who became sick or lost their lives from tainted pet food
Old March 16th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Sleep..What is that?!?

Seth is a little over 2 yrs old...approx. 1.5 yrs of those have been living in one shelter or another :sad: He has always been deemed unadoptable because of his people "issues", so I am not sure if he has ever had a collar on him...except for the couple of weeks I put one on (he had it off pretty quick and took Messina's off too, so now I don't bother)...I have just started to notice this "difference" in his fur...he seems healthy and happy otherwise.

Mom to
Seth - Brown Tabby
Messina - Blonde Tabby
Old March 16th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Do cats get 'adult coats' like dogs do? We always see a change in the length, density, and sometimes the texture of the dogs' fur when they hit 2 - 4 years of age. Maybe it's just his adult coat coming in, starting around the neck?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."