Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old March 3rd, 2009, 07:57 PM

Tomatoes....what kind?

We have a small garden at work and in the 4yrs I have been there we have only once had a good tomato year. So what kind of tomatoes are good for a short growing season in Northern Ontario(north of the 49th parallel)? We get them as plants from the local nursery in Kenora so you'd think they'd be the right ones but they just don't seem to want to rippen. They grow like crazy but just never turn, we've tried several methods to get them to rippen but most of them end up rotting before they turn.

Also we usualy don't plant until the end of May, with everything going on that seems to be the earliest we can get them in the ground. Again they grow fine just never rippen. I have heard of some heirloom variety's but they're not easy to get.

Any help would be wonderful as we all love tomatoes so it would be nice to have some this year. We've also had luck with corn, broccoli and beens. Any other veggies that would be good for a short growing season, oh and our zuchinni was awesome this year.

Thanks again, I am not much of a green thumb but do my best.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 08:07 PM
You can call me DOG!

Hi Dustybird:

If your tomatoes grow well but don't ripen, Lee Valley Tools have these red shields that you place around the base of the tomato plant. They claim that they (the shields), speed up the ripening process.

I love Lee Valley Tools Everything that I have purchased from this catalog/store has been true to their word.

Good luck

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/14/2004 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old March 3rd, 2009, 09:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Dustybird... i've only had luck with tiny tims or sweet millions (cherry type tomatoes) for the past few years. I have to buy them as at least plants in 4" pots though, plant them the first week of June and keep covered with plastic at night until July 1st
Good luck
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old March 4th, 2009, 08:01 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Stokes has many different varieties of seeds. I know there are some for shorter growing seasons in their catalogue. A pkg isn't that expensive. That is if you want to go with seeds. Ideally you can start them indoors to give them a head start.

http://www.stokeseeds.com/cgi-bin/St...eds.storefront

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 4th, 2009, 05:50 PM

I don't why we haven't tried the cherry tomatoes types...I love cherry tomatoes. Have to give the plasitc covering a definate try. I'll pass on the online shopping to the boss as she's the queen of online shopping.

Is there a specific tomatoe feed that is better than others as we tend to always get miracle grow but frankly it doesn't do much for anything we use it on.

Thanks a bunch.
Old March 4th, 2009, 05:51 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustybird View Post
I don't why we haven't tried the cherry tomatoes types...I love cherry tomatoes. Have to give the plasitc covering a definate try. I'll pass on the online shopping to the boss as she's the queen of online shopping.

Is there a specific tomatoe feed that is better than others as we tend to always get miracle grow but frankly it doesn't do much for anything we use it on.

Thanks a bunch.
It isn't necessarily online shopping. You can order your seeds on line but they do have a catalogue you can ask for. It's free. Then you can order from it.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 4th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Cherry tomatoes will provide you a bumper crop for sure. For regular tomatoes, you could try a variety called Early Girl. Try removing some of the leaves on the plant near the tomatoes after they've reached the size you want them to ripen at as well. It'll expose them to more sunlight to help with the ripening. You can also harvest some of the fruit while green and ripen it on a window sill.

Cindy
Old March 19th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Garden nut

Contact these people

http://grungysgarden.blogspot.com/

Very, very nice couple! They have a great system for growing tomatoes and save many seeds to give out.

If you want to know anything about tomatoes in Canada, talk with them.

Here's a link to their photo album

http://picasaweb.google.com/tvgrunt
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old March 20th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Well, I can't grow anything and can't eat tomatoes - but when I could (and when I sneak one) I would say Heirloom - either in the small or regular size - if you can find them. Unfortunately I have high body acid - and rosacea - and nothing like a tomato to get the rosacea flaring. Curse of the Celts. Back in the day - say in the 1950s tomatoes tasted a whole lot better - and I think the closest you can get these days are the heirlooms.