Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 3rd, 2009, 06:42 PM

embarrassed to ask..but I got too

Ok, well, I was always a dog person until we moved to the farm and these cats just appeared from nowhere, my daughter ad I were actually afraid of cats...anyway...I fell in love with them all so I brought 2 female cat in the house, how do I know their females?? my horse vet told me...5 are left in the barn and it's driving me crazy when It comes to closing for the night, they all look at me with those eyes probably asking why not take us in with you??? (DH thinks that I tend to humanize what they think, actually he thinks I'm nuts) so, to get to the embarrassing question, out of the 5, I know for sure that Molly, Sophie and mimi are females, the other 2...arghh I dont know, and dont know how or what I'm looking at...this week both of them were in heat, so I asked myself, do male have heat?? I want to bring them in the house but need to have them fixed!

Before anyone questions if I plan to have them neuter/spay, OF COURSE, St-hyacinthe vet hospital has contacted me, (actually left a message, thank god cause they were asking me how many females/males I had)

So there you go..anybody want to help??

Corinne
Old February 3rd, 2009, 07:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Im in NO way an expert. But are these cats friendly? So you can pick them up and kinda have a look see?

When I had my mice () I could tel what gender they were by looking at their privates (Which look the smae on both male and female)
If their privats were close to their bum. It was a female. If far away, it was a male. I know on cats it would ppbably be harder to find it. Maybe its the same between cats and mice? lol.. JUst throwing that out there. Im sure if you could pick them up and kinda have a look around you could find the genital area.

GOOD LUCK! lol
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 07:34 PM
I'm a softy

you can tell because... k here goes.. Males will have a pooper... and a pee-er.. and two rather round participles... furry ones.. females have a pooper spot, and right under.. the other spot.. only 2 "spots" rather close together... hope that helps..... good luck!
Old February 3rd, 2009, 07:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Im sure the vet would still do the surgeries. Even if you were worng

My aunt brought her cat in to be spayed, and she came out with him nuetered. lol.. The vet will know.
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 09:51 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lUvMyLaB<3 View Post
Males will have a pooper... and a pee-er.. and two rather round participles... furry ones..
So these would be the....wait for it!....

....the dangling participles?!

*wheeze wheeze gasp giggle*

Okay...I'm better now... I just couldn't resist. That was, for those of you who don't speak English or didn't pay attention during grammar class () an English Teacher joke... A 'dangling participle' is a grammatical faux pas It's not my fault that hazel's dad is an English Teacher and madame hazel has a really weird sense of humor...so no PMs please

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 3rd, 2009, 10:19 PM

ohhhh...that's how you say it...been wondering, me being french and all

I knew I would get some laughs, but hey..I know dogs, horses (now that's easy) humans...cats it was a bit of a problem, the 2 ( think male) are semi-friendly, we approach them and pet them, but picking them up is not easy, I managed to lift the tail, but saw only the pooper!

So tonite I entered the barn thinking, I'm going to settle this, explained to DH what babymomma had written, if the **** is closer to the *** its female, blablabla...(gave me that look, you know THE LOOK)asked him to pick up tuxedo and Sam...and alleluia...you gotta admit it isn't easy to see.

At least now I'll be able to answer...yeah hey I've got 3 females and 2 males pffff easy!

Thanks!
Old February 3rd, 2009, 10:22 PM
Senior Contributor

lol.. Im sure we've all gotten the look. lol.. Woo, You firgured it out!

Congrats!!!!

Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 10:24 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Good work, COCO!! Now you just gotta fix those dangling participles

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 4th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Senior Contributor

In my experience, the male bits were always VERY obvious. Fuzzy marbles.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old February 4th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Senior Contributor

CoCo,if the dangling fuzzy things are not clearly visible,the boys are more than likely already neuteredthat they are,then no babies Hubby and I had a good laugh,thank's
Old February 4th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Yeah, you'll know when you have a male. Both my boys are neutered, but since Maks is orange I can still see his um, package. Of course it's not as profound as it used to be, but there's no mistaking he's a boy.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old February 4th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Senior Contributor

I noticed thru expereincemost male are bigger ( heads bigger, shoulders bigger, etc..) than females. I will come over one day and talk to your hubby....about humanizing animals and thier feelings and why thats the right thing to do....
Old February 4th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Geek Club CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post

Okay...I'm better now... I just couldn't resist. That was, for those of you who don't speak English or didn't pay attention during grammar class () an English Teacher joke... A 'dangling participle' is a grammatical faux pas It's not my fault that hazel's dad is an English Teacher and madame hazel has a really weird sense of humor...so no PMs please

that was truly awesome, HRP...
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old February 4th, 2009, 01:26 PM

These two little fellows our not even 1 years old, the black cat is big, but the tabby is small, so hard to say, but hubby noticed the dangling participles...he says...hum I wonder if he said that to put an end to my explaining

Cpietra, be my guest and have fun explaining this to hubby, we have been debating over this for 10 years.

Ok, can we cancel this thread now before it gets too embarrasing!!

Corinne
Old February 4th, 2009, 02:47 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Going to add to your embarassment. Just be aware it is possible that the boys parts can be hidden as well. As in, they haven't dropped yet. I had that with one of mine. Thought he was a girl. Poor baby.
Just trying to tell you you may have to do more indepth exploration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpietra16 View Post
I will come over one day and talk to your hubby....about humanizing animals and thier feelings and why thats the right thing to do....
Further to that statement..... show hubby this article. Maybe it will help convince him.

Oh, Bessie! Name your cow, get more milk
Updated Thu. Jan. 29 2009 7:03 AM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Researchers have a message for farmers: If you want your cows to produce more milk, give them names.

Cows that have names produce more milk, as much as 500 pints more per year, than cows that do not, British scientists have learned.

The study, conducted by a team from Newcastle University in northern England, also found that overall, farms where cows were each called by name produced more milk than farms that herded their cattle as a group.

According to researchers Catherine Douglas and Peter Rowlinson, the findings support what farmers have long believed.

"Just as people respond better to the personal touch, cows also feel happier and more relaxed if they are given a bit more one-to-one attention," Douglas said in a statement.

"By placing more importance on the individual, such as calling a cow by her name or interacting with the animal more as it grows up, we can not only improve the animal's welfare and her perception of humans, but also increase milk production."

The findings are published in the journal Anthrozoos.

For their study, Douglas and Rowlinson asked more than 500 British dairy farmers for their opinions on how humans might influence the productivity, behaviour and welfare of dairy cattle.

Nearly half indicated that they call each cow on their farm by name. These farmers' cows produced 258 litres more milk.

The researchers also found that 48 per cent of farmers agreed that positive human contact might influence a cow's milk production.

According to dairy farmer Dennis Gibb, co-owner of Eachwick Red House farm outside Newcastle, treating each cow as an individual is "vitally important."

"They aren't just our livelihood - they're part of the family," Gibb said in a statement. "We love our cows here at Eachwick and every one of them has a name. Collectively we refer to them as 'our ladies' but we know every one of them and each one has her own personality."

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 4th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Senior Contributor

14+, that's a great article.

I totally believe our pets know what is going on around them. Humanizing them? How about Felinizing them

My cats all love attention, and they each one shows me when they want their own attention. If I give a treat to one, the others are all looking at me like "Where's my treat mom?"

I give each one the same amount of treats at treat time. I go one by one. But let me tell you, the last one to get their treat gets nasty looks by the others because they think they are special because they got the last one. Whenever I'm petting one, Maks comes from from clear across the room and gets in the middle. Oksana jumps up in the morning on my bed and starts pawing at me because she wants to be petted.

So tell hubby to watch his back. Those barn kitties want in!
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old February 4th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Sleep..What is that?!?

Ok, so Seth is neutered, but I don't see anything left of his "package"??? Is it maybe the way they are neutered or is it possible Seth is a little girl? He is much bigger feature-wise than Messina, but still...

I never really thought about this before, so don't be embarassed...either they have danglies or they don't...until they are fixed that is....and now we find out they drop like people...oh, it's all so confusing!

Mom to
Seth - Brown Tabby
Messina - Blonde Tabby
Old February 4th, 2009, 06:50 PM

Thought I would post pics of the barn cats, 3 females and 2 males (we think)

Mimi
Name:  various 049.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  92.3 KB

Sophie
Name:  various 062.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  87.7 KB

Molly
Name:  various 063.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  94.6 KB
Old February 4th, 2009, 06:53 PM

Finally the two boys...

Sam and Tuxedo

Name:  various 057.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  94.7 KB
Old February 4th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Senior Contributor

They are all gorgeous! 5 huh? Hey, 5 is certainly doable inside a home. hint hint.

Old February 4th, 2009, 07:06 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

They are adorable!! So nice you are thinking about bringing them in!
TacoGrl - If Seth was done fairly early then his package may have pretty much disappeared. Also, some kitties aren't quite as (cough, cough) well endowed as others. I have a couple here that have almost disappeared as well since being fixed. They weren't that big to start with.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 4th, 2009, 07:08 PM

Actually 7, I've got two inside already, but hey, with all I've seen and read on this forum 2 is probably nothing right!

As for the hint...hubby is keeping his distance from cause he knows I'm up to something...he knows I Know, he just can't say no!
Old February 4th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Senior Contributor

LOL, I can tell you I'd probably have a couple more if I was living in a house and not in a condo.

14+, I had Maks done at about 5 or 6 months, and I can still see a couple of little bumps.

Old February 4th, 2009, 08:25 PM
-

They are all so purrty and what a lovely variety of colours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCO350 View Post
As for the hint...hubby is keeping his distance from cause he knows I'm up to something...he knows I Know, he just can't say no!
LOL.....you got a toasted marshmallow too. You gotta love how they are all crusty on the outside but big softies inside.
Old February 4th, 2009, 08:53 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

The kitties are gorgeous, COCO!

Old February 4th, 2009, 11:06 PM
150% PRO S/N

AG - most of my boys were done at 6 to 7 months. A lot of them still have "bumps" too. But there are a few who have almost nothing left.

Old February 4th, 2009, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post

good one Hazel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoGrl View Post
Ok, so Seth is neutered, but I don't see anything left of his "package"??? Is it maybe the way they are neutered or is it possible Seth is a little girl? He is much bigger feature-wise than Messina, but still...
Likely he was done early, didn't have a large package to begin with or it has disappeared.

Same with neutered male dogs some you can see a bit of extra skin left others not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCO350 View Post
You sure about Molly being female? 99.9% of the time an orange tabby is male.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying

Vindication ~ For all those pets who became sick or lost their lives from tainted pet food
Old February 5th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Senior Contributor

OMG,they are all such beautiful cats,did you order the nice variety
We woke up to -20C this morning,but I am sure your kitties can find some warm spots in the barn,however it would be nice if they could be inside
Have any of those beautiful little girls been preggers???
If not,that's strange,if the boys are in tact
Old February 5th, 2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
You sure about Molly being female? 99.9% of the time an orange tabby is male.

I'd have to second that question. We have several orange tabby ferals around, and all are boys. Plus we have one orange tabby inside, and he is also a male. And all my friends who have orange tabbys...all of theirs are male as well.
Old February 5th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Senior Contributor

I'll third that. I just noticed orange kitty's name. I've read on several sights and in a couple of books that orange tabbies are usually male, as torties are usually always female.