Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old April 2nd, 2009, 09:46 AM

My dog can't jump

Yes, this may sound like a silly problem, but we are tired of having to pick her up so she can sit on the couch/lay down on the bed. Willow is 16 weeks and though she tries so hard she can not jump. At all. If she tries really really hard she can maybe get 2 inches off the ground. She once managed to get up on her puppy sitters couch by biting Oscar's tail (her puppy sitters dog) and he pulled her up.

Do any of you have any ideas how to "train" her to jump? Thank you!
Old April 2nd, 2009, 10:33 AM
Senior Contributor

She is just a baby and shouldn't be jumping that high anyway.

As she gets older, she should be able to jump higher - depending on her breed. Face it, if she is a yorkie or a chihuahua she may never be able to jump high enough to get on higher furniture.

If you are really bothered by it - there are stairs you can buy.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 11:28 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

It's good your little one does not attempt to jump as most likely not ready for it. A friend's chi jumped off the bed, something she did a few times and this time she landed off and snapped the bone diagonally, 3 surgeries later she's now fine.

My crested will not jump up but can jump off.... my yorkie, 3 times smaller than her can now get up and down but she did it in her own good time.

IMHO, don't push it and as LR suggested, buy stairs if you really insist on this jumping up.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 11:31 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

What breed is she? Like Lavendar Rott said.... small breeds may never be able to jump that high. She is only a baby at 4months. If she is a larger breed then either give her time or take her to your vet and have her checked to see if there is something going on with her bones. Those pet steps work very well for little ones and older dogs who are losing their mobility.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 11:43 AM
Hazel's Personal Servant

If it's a large breed pup - you should discourage jumping anyway. Jumping on and off things like furniture or out of vehicles can cause problems with joints and ligaments.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 12:50 PM
Senior Contributor

When we first brought Kato home (10week~ish), I placed him up on my bed with me for a "nuggle". It was a bad idea, really bad idea, for he got a little spooked by something and jumped off. He ended up hurting his back and his one hip. Since then he has regular doggy chiro appts, he'll be 5 this year and will have to have these appts for the rest of his life.:sad: I will forever feel guilty about it too, my poor Rotti~baby.

So my humble advice would be not to encourage your dog to jump up or down until physically able, and even then I would discourage jumping up on anything unless invited first.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 04:08 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree with all who said she is probably better off not jumping up anyway. My 17 month old Lab pup certainly can jump up and down from my vehicle tailgate but I don't let him. I boost him up and lift him down to prevent stress on his young joints. Up can be hard on the hips. Down can be bad for elbows and more.

How does your pup get down?
Old April 3rd, 2009, 09:37 AM

shes a pug, so small breed. She jumps down fine, but cant seem to figure out how to jump up. Hhe likes to snuggle on the couch with the other dogs at her puppy sitters, and my almost 13 year old like her sleeping with him and the cat at night but when she gets down for a drink in the middle of the night she wakes him up to pick her back up again. He chose to ignore our "she has her own bed, let her sleep there" when we first got her by sneaking into the livingroom and grabbing her at night so now hes suffering the consequences. She does a superman leap off of the stairs when playing with the other dogs (sunken livingroom, 3 steps down. She will race towards the stairs then jump, going up about a foot and out about 7 feet. its REALLY funny to watch!)
Old April 3rd, 2009, 10:24 AM
Senior Contributor

You might want to look into those steps. Jumping off of things at this age can be dangerous - leading to injury or developemental issues.
Old April 4th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

While it may be funny to watch, Pugs are prone to luxating patella and ACL tears. She should be discouraged from taking such leaps or it will lead to some very costly surgery down the road. Pugs are full of beans so I know that it's not always easy to restrict them.
Old April 4th, 2009, 03:13 PM
-

I agree with what everyone has said.

Here are some pics of pet stairs .....

http://www.petacular.com/products/Pet-Stairs.html

If you google "pet stairs" there are a kajillion results .....even directions on how to build your own.