Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 13th, 2014, 09:23 PM

5yr old poodle peeing on floor uncontrollably

My 5 year old mini Poodle is my baby, we have a very strong bond, and both love each other very much and are very devoted to each Other, he gOes everywhere with me, we are almost never sperated. I have had him since he was 9 weeks old, and he learned potty training, and just about everything else very quickly. We have hardly ever had any potty accidents in the house, up until recently. About 5 days ago he started just peeing on the floor, even recently after being outside, and it's very frequent, just today i cleaned up 5 Seperate potty messes, and I'm almost 100% certain he is not doing it on purpose, but I don't know what is wrong or what to do for him, I have a very low income, I am disabled with 3 children all also dependent on me. Vets are expensive, and I don't want to take him to one if I can avoid it, but if I have to I will, we might have to deal with some less than full cabinets, and go without for the month, but rehoming or putting him down is NOT an option! I completely consider him one of my children, and losing him would completely devestate me. Can someone please give me some helpful advice or help? Im upset and freaking out with just the possibility that something might be seriously wrong with him
Old January 13th, 2014, 09:54 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Do you have a regular vet who has already seen your dog for something else? If so, you can probably just take a urine sample in for analysis as a first step--it's not that expensive if the vet will do the urinalysis without having to see your boy right away. If this turns out to be a simple urinary tract infection, it'll just be the cost of the urinalysis and the antibiotics to treat. However, there are a lot of other things that can be causing this--diabetes, kidney issues, hormonal issues, prostate inflammation, etc--so a vet visit would be a good idea.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 14th, 2014, 07:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes, my first suspicion also would be a UTI. However there is no way to avoid going to the Vet. A UTI is painful for dogs, their urine burns when they pee, they try not to pee, then they've held on to the point they can't anymore and pee in the wrong spot. They pee in many spots because, the theory is, they blame the spot for hurting them so they try a new spot, as per my VEt. Any woman who has ever had a bladder infection can tell you how uncomfortable it is, dogs are as well.
Old January 14th, 2014, 10:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Is your dog drinking more water than normally? I agree with other that your dog could an urine infection , have looked on line to see if there are any low income vet clinic near you? Some pet stores like Petco have vet care that is less than vet office. If bring some urine to be tested it would help to write any other symptoms your dog is having.
Old January 15th, 2014, 04:37 AM

Thank u all! Get

I thank u all for ur responses and advice. I to agree that it may be a UTI, after posting my question I did a lot of research, and scared the pants off myself. I'm so freaked out that it might be diabetes or something terrible like that, my baby has been good to me, he doesn't deserve anything like that! And yes, I am a woman, and the mother of three kids, so yes, I've actually had many UTIs, so I do know just how painful it is. Yes, he is drinking much more water than usual, and has actually just recently puked in my lap on a car ride, which is extremely unusual for him. I also strongly agree that a vet visit is my only option, I can't stand to see him suffering like he is right now, and he is constantly so scared I'm gonna be mad at him, I know he doesn't want to, but he just can't stop. And no, unfortunately I live in wasilla Alaska, 60 miles outside anchorage, and the only clinics are there, an that's much to far for me, thank u all very much
Old January 15th, 2014, 09:25 AM
Senior Contributor

http://www.wasillavet.com/

I found this vet and it looks like it's in your city. There could a few reasons why your dog is drinking more water and you really need to bring him to the vet to find out what is going on with him. Is there anyone that can help you get vet and I would ask the vet if you could made an arrangement to pay part of the bill on the first visit .
Old January 15th, 2014, 06:29 PM
Senior Contributor

http://www.yellowpages.com/wasilla-ak/veterinarians

And I found the above link showing many Veterinarians in Wasilla Ak., in several different offices.