Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 26th, 2008, 12:34 AM

Sick Dog - 14 hours and counting :(

Hi. I am new to this site but in serious need of some help. I am the first time owner of my own dog. She is a female jack russell just over a year old (and about 4 pounds over-weight incase that matters). Anyways, about 4 am this morning I woke to my dog throwing up. It has been persistant and she hasn't stopped shaking ever since. Around 12 pm she started projectiale vomiting and since then it has gone from yellow to a pinkish colour with what looks like little specs of blood in it. Also, being a puppy AND a jack russell she is a very energetic and since 4 am she has done nothing but mope around the house. I am very worried about my dog but seeing as it is Christmas there are no vets available to take my calls. She wont eat or drink either. She will only eat snow. Any idea's how to handle this until I can reach my vet?
Old December 26th, 2008, 12:42 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Any chance of reaching an emergency vet? Our vet has an answering service for emergencies and there's always someone on call...

Until you get her to the vet, she needs to stay hydrated. Snow isnt' a good choice...it won't keep her hydrated. Ice chips would be better if she'll take them.

Has she had a stool at all today? Listen to her abdomen--you should hear some pops and some roiling sounds...if you don't hear anything, it's possible she has a blockage. This can be life-threatening.

And have you checked her gums? If she's dangerously anemic her gums will go pale. This also would require immediate attention.

To check for dehydration, pull up gently on the skin of her scruff. If she is well-hydrated, when you let go the skin should spring back. If she's getting dehydrated, you'll notice a delay...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 26th, 2008, 12:50 AM

Her gums are pink. And there are slight rumbling sounds in her stomach but she wont sit completly down which makes me think there might be some kind of blockage. Also, there was a delay when I pulled her skin back so I tried the ice cubes and she ate two. Any other advice?
Old December 26th, 2008, 12:56 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Pedialyte might be helpful if you have any in the house...

But if it were me, I'd be trying to find a vet in the area with some sort of answering service or afterhours emergency service. Dehydration can be pretty dangerous.

Good news about her gums, though. That means that whatever is causing the gastric bleeding isn't too major yet.

Has she pooped at all today? If it's just gastric upset, it'll probably work its way down her digestive tract and manifest as diarrhea.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 26th, 2008, 01:07 AM
Doggie Wench

DaisyDuke, whereabouts are you located? Perhaps I can help you find an ER vet?
Old December 26th, 2008, 01:09 AM

She has not pooped today that I know of. I have been outside with her a great deal today while she was getting sick. My sister has some pedialyte for her daughter that I could grab. She also has gripe water here right now, do you know if theres a difference? She also looks like she's in pain while sitting , or attempting to sit. And her tail has been down between her legs all day. Which it usually isn't.
Old December 26th, 2008, 01:12 AM
Doggie Wench

I'd use the pedialyte, it aids in hydrating which is what your pup needs right now. Gripe water is for colic or gas.
Old December 26th, 2008, 01:24 AM

I live in a small town in BC. . Sorry, I am reluctant to post on the internet. Anyways, She just woke from a deep sleep and projectile vomited a light pink liquid that smells the same as she does in her heat cycle, does mean that she's puking blood?
Old December 26th, 2008, 01:30 AM
Doggie Wench

Is it metallic smelling? Can you go to www.canada411.ca to find an ER vet in your area? I don't think you should wait.
Old December 26th, 2008, 01:33 AM

It is a little metallic smelling yes, And thank you SO much for the site. I found an emergency number of a vet clinic I was unaware of. I had called their clinic earlier but they have a seperate number. Again, Thank you soo much!! Hopefullly I can get through on Christmas night!
Old December 26th, 2008, 01:38 AM
Doggie Wench

Please get her there asap. I don't mean to scare you but from what you're describing, it could very well be Parvo, in which case she needs to be treated immediately. I have much experience with Parvo pups so I will tell you, please get her seen right away. This can't wait.

Old December 26th, 2008, 01:52 AM

Thank you for your help. I will post how she is doing tomorrow and if we find anything out. Goodnight and Merry Christmas!
Old December 26th, 2008, 02:21 AM

She has just started having small amounts of anal leakage... And farting alot.. very uncomfortable... Does this sound to you like parvo??
Old December 26th, 2008, 02:33 AM
Doggie Wench

If the "leakage" and gas smell like her vomit, then yes.

Dogs that develop the disease show symptoms of the illness within 5 to 10 days. The symptoms include lethargy, vomiting, fever, and diarrhea (usually bloody). Diarrhea and vomiting result in dehydration and secondary infections can set in. Due to dehydration, the dog's electrolyte balance can become critically affected. Because the normal intestinal lining is also compromised, blood and protein leak into the intestines leading to anemia and loss of protein, and endotoxins escaping into the bloodstream, causing endotoxemia. Dogs have a distinctive odor in the later stages of the infection. The white blood cell level falls, further weakening the dog. Any or all of these factors can lead to shock and death.

Survival rate depends on how quickly CPV is diagnosed, the age of the animal and how aggressive the treatment is. Treatment for severe cases that are not caught early usually involves extensive hospitalization, due to the severe dehydration and damage to the intestines and bone marrow. A CPV test should be given as early as possible if CPV is suspected in order to begin early treatment and increase survival rate if the disease is found.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canine_parvovirus

Please get her to a vet now.
Old December 26th, 2008, 02:39 AM

The vet refuses to see us until morning. I don't know what else to do.
Old December 26th, 2008, 02:41 AM

Is there any medications we can give her that you know of to treat her?? .... We have alot. We have lots of dogs.. Anything that can help...
Old December 26th, 2008, 02:43 AM
Doggie Wench

Can you find another vet? Is there a veterinary teaching hospital in the surrounding areas? Call all the numbers you can find...sometimes their recordings will leave emergency contact numbers.
Old December 26th, 2008, 02:45 AM

I found one the next town over. We are talking now.
Old December 26th, 2008, 02:49 AM
Doggie Wench

Please keep your other dogs away from her. Get someone to clean up any areas she vomited in with bleach and water. If it is Parvo, it can be extremely contagious.

Your pup needs to be treated by a vet. She would need to be re-hydrated via IV and administered the appropriate combination of meds via injections.
Old December 26th, 2008, 02:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Is she up to date on her vaccinations?

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old December 26th, 2008, 02:54 AM

We have three other dogs. Which are fine as of right now. We are doing our best to keep them away for their own safety and her comfort. She is up to date on her vaccinations of course as are all of our animals. I guess we are making an emergency trip because of a rediculous vet who wont drive 10 mins to see her.
Old December 26th, 2008, 02:59 AM
Doggie Wench

Vaccines don't always protect against many viruses. Please make sure the vet can do a CPV test.

Good luck .
Old December 26th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Any updates on your pup.

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 26th, 2008, 04:40 PM
-

Did you get your dog to the vet?
Old December 26th, 2008, 07:55 PM

Hi everyone. I would like to thank you so much for your concern and support. We rushed her to the next own over to see the vet on call, we did not arrive until almost 2 am. She survived the trip but it was obvious she had no clue where or who she was. She was x-rayed and put on IV, painkillers and antibiotics. We were told it was a blockage in her stomach and she would need surgrey right away. We signed the papers and everything was prepped around 5 am but the poor pup was too weak for surgery so they did their best to hydrate her. I lost my baby girl at 7 this morning... I miss her so much, as does my family and our other 3 dogs who run around looking for her. Our house is way too quiet and not in a good way. Thank you again, for your concern. I wish I found this site earlier so I could have contacted the vet the town over and maybe she would have been strong enough for surgrey. It's not fair.. she was my baby
Old December 26th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh No DaisyDuke, i'm sooooooo sorry :sad:

and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old December 26th, 2008, 08:07 PM

Thank you. She was my first puppy that I owned myself. My boyfriend bought her for me ( he also came to the vet in the next town over ) He is devistated as well. It was an unexpected loss and we are all still in shock.
Old December 26th, 2008, 08:38 PM
-

I'm so sorry for your loss.
Old December 26th, 2008, 10:20 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I'm so sorry, DaisyDuke*.

:sad:

Old December 26th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Doggie Wench

Daisy

I'm sorry to see this sad news :sad:.