Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 30th, 2004, 08:00 PM

Ear Mites

Hello, Is there any remedies to fight off ear mites and fleas other than using Advantage or Revolution etc...Thanks Pat
Old July 30th, 2004, 08:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Since I don't know what you've done so far, here is the usual treatment:

First the vet must flush out the ears. This will get rid of a lot of the mites. Then drops must be used for a prescribed amount of time to finish the job.

Untreated ear mites can lead to infection, yeast, or even rupture of the eardrum in extreme cases.

I've never heard of using Advantage or Revolution for ear mites.
Old July 30th, 2004, 08:26 PM

Ear Mites

Thanks for the reply...this black 8 mth old male kitten showed up on my window sill looking in at my other 3 cats...my son brought him in but first put my 3 in the bedroom...the kitten holds his head off to oneside and his ears are full of ear mites...he also has fleas of course...I have not done anything yet for the ears...we have flyers up around town hoping his owner will call but nothing yet...my female Dutchess is not spayed yet and the stray kitten is also not neutered...so I do not want to let them get together so I am keeping him in my son s bedroom....I was just wondering if I could do something myself (carefully of course) for him to relieve him of the discomfort....I am hoping his owner calls soon....Thanks
Old July 30th, 2004, 08:45 PM
Senior Contributor

I hope his owner calls too, but I wouldn't count on it.

He really needs treatment URGENTLY!! If you get him cleaned up and neutered, you could find a home for him. In fact, since you are nearby in Ottawa, I could help you get him a home.

Please don't wait to get his ears treated. He is suffering and if something is not done NOW he could have permanent damage.
Old July 30th, 2004, 09:04 PM

Ear Mites

It would be great if you could find him a home...My midnight is a neutered male and I do not think he would like another male in the house...the kitten is very playful....he likes to chase the ball with a bell in it around the bedroom....He does this cute little purrr when he is looking for the ball under the dresser.... ....He loves to lay in the window...I try to stay with him as much as I can to keep him used to humans....he is kitty litter trained and has not sprayed my son s room yet...I am in Richmond and if you know of anyone who would lovingly take care of him it would be greatly appreciated....Unfortunately I can not afford myself to get him neutered....if I could I would....If I can not find him a home soon I may have to take him to the Humane Society and I really really do not want to do that...I just hate seeing the cats there in the cages....it just tears me apart inside....Cats are my love and I have already rescued the 3 that I have now...my husband is a dog person and he just does not understand... ....Thanks Patsy
Old July 30th, 2004, 11:51 PM

Actually, according to my vet, revolution protects against ear mites and parasites of any kind. My cat cosmo has not had mites, fleas or ticks since I started using it. ( 1-1/2 yrs )
Old July 31st, 2004, 12:35 AM
A.R.Activist & Vet Assis.

For the earmites, they need to be flushed . DO NOT do this on your own!!!! Never stick aything in your cats ear as the eardrum is ruptured easily. Take him/ her to your vet, get them flushed out then ask for Tresaderm Drops. Usually you instill 4-6 drops into the affected ear.....store in your fridge. Of course, go with your vets instructions and dosage, but Tres. works great and is available only through your vet. The fleas....well, advantage is a quick kill and works awesome..(apply drops on back of neck)..however it is an insecticide and you may notice a foul odor...urine type odor. It is easy application though.....and only once a month....all fleas dead in 24 hrs. There is Program....now, Program is a hormone based product to be given orally...NO INSECTICIDE, BUT does NOT kill fleas, it is like a birth control of sorts . Breaks the flea cycle. Program takes about a month before you'll notice change....it is a good product though. Now, there is also Revolution. (Not sure if we are talking of a dog or cat here) Remember, ridding your indoor pets of fleas cannot be possible without treating your home and their bedding as well. Its a must or they'll just hop right back on. AVOID store bought products like the plague!!!! Get from your local veterinarians office. Ask the receptionist to assist you. You might pay a few dollars more but the products are better, safer and usually guaranteed. Good luck
Old July 31st, 2004, 09:22 AM

Thanks Shae and Parker for your info....I have used revolution on my cats and it does work very well.....I just may go to my vets and ask them for the treatment and put it on account for me and pay it off....I lost my job awhile back and I really do want to help him....
Old July 31st, 2004, 09:29 AM
Senior Contributor

Patsy, if you want to keep this cat, your neutered male will be okay with him once he is neutered as well. I have introduced cats of both sexes and all ages for many years with no problem.

I would put this cat on my Petfinder site, but cannot list an intact cat with ear mites and fleas!

You can explain to your vet that you rescued this cat. He/she might very well be willing to help out and charge you only cost, or give you a payment plan. My vet does this whenever I have a rescued cat. Also ask the local SPCA about low-cost neutering.

Maybe you can get your female spayed this way too, before you end up with a litter of kittens.

When this kitten gets adopted, you can charge an adoption fee which will reimburse you for your expenses.

There are also cat rescues in the Ottawa area you can contact for help.
Old July 31st, 2004, 09:50 AM

Thanks LuckyRescue.....I think I will call my vet and see what they can do for me....I also sent an email to Friends of Abandoned Pets to see if they could help me as well...waiting for reply from them....Pat
Old August 5th, 2004, 10:09 PM

Ear mites solved

Hello everyone...just dropping a line to say that I have got in contact with Friends of Abandoned Pets and they are helping me look after the stray black kitten I found. They have paid for his vet bills and I am fostering him until they find him a home. He should be on their web page within the week. www.foap.on.ca - check it out in a week or so...he is called Lucky and is all black....Take Care Pat
Old August 5th, 2004, 10:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh, excellent!! I'm so glad you went the extra mile for this little guy. He is indeed "Lucky" - one of the few who is.

Are they paying for his neuter as well?
Old August 6th, 2004, 11:01 AM

Lucky

Hello LuckyRescue

Yes they have paid for his neuter as well...he was checked over by the vet and got his shots....I brought him home yesterday afternoon....he is a little sore under his tail for good reason....he does not want to sit down .....I have a picture but not sure of how to attach it...will try to see what I can do....Pat
Attached Images

Last edited by Patsy; August 8th, 2004 at 11:17 PM. Reason: adding picture
Old August 23rd, 2009, 12:14 AM

re black cat

Can someone please tell me what breed the black cat is dated April 2004?
I am curious because one of my cats looks very similar and I have always wondered what type of cat he was.
Thankyou
Old August 23rd, 2009, 05:33 PM

To me, the black cat pictured above is just your average domestic short-haired cat, no pedigree that I can see!