Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old December 22nd, 2008, 04:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Clicker Training

Hey All!!

So the boys are pretty good but need some work on their recall and leash manners (they're good unless a distraction of another dog, or cat) we were thinking of giving clicker training a try for these. We pretty much know the basics but if anyone can give us the way they do it or any little tricks they use please let me know thanks a bundle!!!

Michelle and the Boys
Logan - Rescued Husky cross
Aiden- Rescued husky cross
Old December 23rd, 2008, 07:22 AM
cat stuck in a human body

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~michelle~ View Post
Hey All!!

So the boys are pretty good but need some work on their recall and leash manners (they're good unless a distraction of another dog, or cat) we were thinking of giving clicker training a try for these. We pretty much know the basics but if anyone can give us the way they do it or any little tricks they use please let me know thanks a bundle!!!

Michelle and the Boys
I work as a dog/cat/human trainer, and I like to use KEYS instead of clickers,..the clicker is an added tool you have to take with you on the walk, but you always have your keys with you right?

follow Paul Loeb school training, and use the keys as your noisemaker: jingle them to get doggie back on track, you can tap the keys on doggies back near the neck for your "bite", so doggie understands who's leading the walk even if doggie get's super distracted by another animal, or loud noise, or other distractions.
the keys even work OFF LEASH: you toss the keys at doggie (soft lob up high in the air) when they land on or near doggie, you give a sharp "NO!" command, the sound of the keys, and the surprise of the intervention with you WAY OVER THERE and now doggie realizes that you are able to control them even at a distance off leash: most dogs feel safe at distance, they know you can't catch them, so they are more apt to "misbehave", but with a couple of key tosses the animal realizes that you are in control/pack leader even when doggie is out of arms/leash reach.
the keys also work as a "come" command (you always jingle the keys before the walk, right?), even when the dog is at the beach off leash, and out of eyesight, they can hear that jingle of the keys MILES AWAY, and will come running when they hear it after only a short time learning the sound.

your first few walks will have lots of jingles and plops on the back, but as the animals learns your rules and limitations on the walk, you'll start going on walks where you never jingle or tap even once.

I really like using your keys as a dog training tool, as they are ALWAYS WITH YOU and the animal really "keys" into working with them/you

try it, you'll see

Last edited by reckon; December 23rd, 2008 at 07:29 AM.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 08:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks Reckon but it wasnt quite the answer i was looking for I am looking to use the clicker and its noise as a positive reinforcement tool. As for using keys I wouldnt use it as my keys are large and clunky and actually not with me when i am on a walk with the dogs unless we have driven to a trail.
Logan - Rescued Husky cross
Aiden- Rescued husky cross
Old December 23rd, 2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~michelle~ View Post
Hey All!!

Michelle and the Boys
I used the clicker sometimes to train new behaviours. I find it is useful to train complex behaviours as it helps you mark the exact second the dog is doing what you like. For example in agility its difficult to say "good dog" at the exact second the dog is going over the jump but you can click.

Alternately I use a short word such as "yes" to indicate the part of the behaviour I liked.

I'm not sure how much you know about clicker training but this is how I start out a new behaviour:

1) Lure the dog with a small treat and click to mark the second he does the right thing
2) Repeat, repeat, repeat until you can bet that he will do it when you give him the signal
3) Add the word right before you can predict he will do the behaviour
4) Put the food in your pocket so you are no longer luring
5) Start reinforcing only the really accurate or really fast responses

If you find he is confused just back up a step!
Come Visit Us! http://myminizoo.wordpress.com
Old December 25th, 2008, 08:42 PM
border collie mama

hey there.

i have used the clicker training method to train my BC for most of what he knows. I find it to be a great positive tool.

First you want to associate the clicker with positive reinforcement. so you click and treat many times. every time you click the pup gets a treat, no matter what. You will know he knows what the clicker means when you click it and he looks up for his tidbit. the timing of the clicker is very important since it is such a precise sound , you must make the click as the behavior is happening. the clicker also marks the end of the behaviour, so if your doing a stay, dont click while your away from the dog because that could break the stay, and may teach him to not wait for the release word.

if your dogs have the basic obedience skills start with those and the clicker. ask for the behavior and then click and treat. just to make sure they get the idea that it is a reward.

Recall:
Dig out the good old long leash and star in the back yard or house ( maybe a 6 foot leash in the house ) start with no distraction ( basically start like you were teaching a new puppy ) and say the dogs names and the command, "Rover!, Come!" happily. when the dog is coming towards you, verbally praise " oh thats a good boy Rover, good come, good boy! " that way, they stay focused on you and the whole experience is positive. when they get to you, they should do an automatic sit, which you just need to lure your hand above their head to get them to sit, and then click and treat. inside the house on a 6 foot leash this should only take a matter of a few seconds. the key is to clcik as soon as their but hits the floor in front of you. also give lots of praise and pats after the click.

Distractions:
When your on a walk and they get distracted, it is sometimes hard to get their attention back, so you are going to want to start far enough away that you can still have their attention but they they still know the cat or dog is there. This is their thresh hold. Stand parallel to the distraction, that way you both can keep an eye on it and where it is ( coming closer? moving away from you? ) get the dog to perform commands for you there, which is making them focus on you, not the distraction. Rewards and praise are very important here, since they are choosing you over the cat or dog. Some people use a watch me command, but i find that doing simple obedience is just about as useful. In the beginning do simple behaviors like sit, down, paw. Then move up to behaviors that require more thought and attention like roll over, beg, circle me. clicking after each behavior is completed sucessfully.

hope this helps, if you have any quetions about this feel free to ask
Old January 7th, 2009, 06:45 AM

I LOVE clicker training. I originally learned it with my flighty horse and was able to transfer the training over to both of my dogs.

For me, I can't carry a clicker or keys or anything in my hands when I'm around the horse. Its just not feasable. So I have a specific and distinctive 'cluck' noise that I make. Much easier and hey, you always have your mouth with you I can now 'cluck' to reward my horse from a distance and he knows that the noise means he was a good boy ... he perks his ears up and gets a happy look

Example of clicker training with a dog ... ask the dog to sit. Dog sits, cluck noise and treat. Once the dog gets the idea that the noise means a treat ... start weaning the treats off. Make him work harder for it ... only give him a treat every few excercises instead of each one. But *always* cluck when he does the action that was required.

The trick with clicker training is when you get several animals ... if I'm in the barn, I may cluck to reward my horse for going to his stall ... than cluck to reward my dog for not barking at the horse ... sometimes it gets confusing In that case I use the name too ... so that they know who I'm talking to ... LOL

Its a great way of training, I really like it. If your dog isn't treat oriented (as my golden was) I would give her a quick scratch on the head and cluck. Eventually the cluck replaced the head scratch for about 90% of the training time.

So I have had very positive experiences with clicker training! I've used it on many horses and dogs ... although, I tried to clicker train the barn cat and she just sat there and gave me the 'dumb human' glare -- haha!

Good luck!

<3 Owned by a very cute golden retriever; Kassie!! <3
Old January 7th, 2009, 09:31 PM

I trained Bambi with the cliker and she loves it.

In this little viideo she was affraid of that black plastic plate...Not anymore lolll
(sorry loud music,cut the sound!)

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=lvBuFyvJppg

You can also visit this web site (great videos):

http://www.clickertrainusa.com/click...ing-videos.htm