Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old July 27th, 2004, 04:20 AM

How much money would you spend on a sick pet?

I feel sorry for people who come here looking for help because they can't afford a vet, and then get blasted (and rightly so most of the time) for not seeking a vet's help first. Some people irresponsibly get pets they really can't afford to take care of when trouble arises. When Casey was sick, I spent more money than I care to recall getting him treated, and an average of 1 hour a day for 3 weeks taking him to the vet. It was worth it because he deserved to be taken care of, and he's my little sweetie. But at a certain point if his condition hadn't improved, I probably couldn't have afforded it anymore. Chinacorie also took her puppy to a vet (who turned out to be doing more harm than good) countless times, and probably could afford it only because prices are lower in China. I wonder what I would do if I literally couldn't afford to treat my pet anymore. For those of you who treat your pets as your children, you may not have a limit to how much you would spend. In my case, there must be a limit, but I haven't reached it yet. I sincerely hope I never do!!!
Old July 27th, 2004, 04:26 AM
Sheltie Mom

We just had an unexpected surgury for Kai. We found a bump in his leg and luckily spent less than $1,000 on the total fees for everything.

We don't have a limit. My mom had money left over from the $58,000 she inherited and never told me about . She also said if needed, she'd get a loan.
Old July 27th, 2004, 07:27 AM
Senior Contributor

There are limits,but not as much about the money,but what I would put my cats through....
In my own experience with cats and serious disease,the outcome is seldom good news,I don't know why that is.
I would not spend thousands of $$$$ on surgery for a senior cat,the stress and pain is often more than they can handle.I regretted very much putting one of my senior cats through surgery,when I should have let him spend his remaining time in peace.
But one thing is certain,I would never,ever leave a cat in obvious distress,without seeking vet-care,no matter how poor we would be,any more than I would let any family member suffer.
Old July 27th, 2004, 07:41 AM
Senior Contributor

I think I'm with Chico on this one. It's more of an emotional limit than a financial limit. If my pets needed hlep I would never let them suffer. I would be late on rent, no food, pay my bills a little later, borrow from a bank, close friend or a relative - whatever it takes!! BUT if the animal is suffering and the treatments or medications are not helping but only delaying the inevitable, then we would have to make another decision, only in the animal's best interest. I hope that someone would do the same for me, why don't animals deserve the same respect?
Just a GENERAL comment - If someone you loved needed to have a blood transfusion, would $5000 be too much, would you pay for it, let them suffer, or put them down?
So many people feel "oh it's just an animal". They are the same as us, just a little fur - (well, some people have fur too I guess ) IMHO.
Old July 27th, 2004, 08:43 AM

Well, I just got a new kitten last Sunday (Jul 18), and have taken him for his first check up, and get medication to give him ($155.00), then had to take him to an after hours animal hospital last Wed ($115.00), then emergency vet visit Sat ($100.00), plus he has to go on Thursday for his first shots, as he had a resp. infection ($???). This little guy is only 9wks old, and cost me tons so far! Not to mention the fact that living on my own, with mortgage, bills, car costs (gas, etc), and food for myself. How much more am I willing to spend, put him through? Who knows. (See my post in the ask the vet section). This is draining on the bank account, as well as the emtional impact of myself, the kitten (Wendel), and my girlfriend and her little girl (5 yrs old).
Old July 27th, 2004, 08:46 AM
Senior Contributor

You deserve a hug JKC!!! So many people would have just turned their back on this little kitty!!! "Oh, he's only a baby, just put it out of it's misery" You're a wonderful person!!! This kitty is VERY lucky to have found you!!!
Old July 27th, 2004, 08:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Since my senior dog is 10, this question has come up in my house. I love her more then almost anything but there is a limit to how far I am willing to go.

For example, I would not spend thousands of dollars so that she could have 6 more months of "quality" time. I know several people who have exhausted their finances on dogs with cancer. What with chemotherapy, amputation and the whole nine yards, only to have the dog die shortly after. Seems to me that all of that could not have made the dog comfortable and certainly must have stressed out the owner.

I would rather spend the money on cheeseburgers for my dog and time doing the things she enjoys instead of medical treatments and surgeries to recover from.
Old July 27th, 2004, 09:03 AM

Thanks sammiec. Unfortunately we are not out of the woods just yet. I find out more on Thursday.
Old July 27th, 2004, 10:22 AM
Senior Contributor

There are always ways. When my brother's Akita had surgery, radiation, and chemo, his friends got together and had a barbeque "benefit" for Miko. I made a framed, stained glass panel for a raffle prize and we sold tickets. Friends anonymously dropped $ into a jar. It seemed small, about 30 people or so, but we were flabbergasted when we counted $1400 at the end of the event! The vet let him make payments for the rest.

We long ago arranged to purchase savings bonds from our employers which we set aside for vet bills. We don't tap into it unless it's a dire emergency that we can't swing out of our regular budget.

What does it cost when you go out to dinner and a movie? Look at the whole perspective! 1 evening's entertainment vs 15+ years of love and companionship. Pet ownership isn't an investment. It's a sacrifice of time, love, money, and commitment.

Eventually, we all have to make that ultimate decision, but it should be based on what's in the best interests to the pet, not the pocketbook.
Old July 27th, 2004, 11:54 AM
Senior Contributor

There are a lot of variables. First of all, I would take any pet of mine to the vet if it was sick, lethargic, bleeding, vomiting a lot, limping, had an abcess or was otherwise in distress or suffering in any way. That is our beef with some posters here - they won't take their pet to the vet AT ALL - not even for a diagnosis.

What I would do next depends on the age and condition of the animal. When my 20 yr old cat went rapidly downhill, I opted NOT to have any kind of invasive tests done on him and did euthanize him.

I know of a supposed "no kill" shelter here who will keep animals alive even if they are suffering incredibly with cancer.

Personally, I would not put any senior animal who has a fatal illness through anything invasive or painful and it has nothing to do with money. But if a healthy young dog (like mine) needed surgery for something like HD, then I would do it no matter the cost.

I know everyone cannot afford 5000$ for surgery, but if you have a pet who is suffering and won't even spend 35$ for an exam, you shouldn't have any pets.

JMO.

BTW, glasslass - great idea about the savings bonds!!
Old July 27th, 2004, 11:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Very well put Lass!!! Great work with the raffle! That's an excellent idea for helping your pets - MUCH better then just complaining about it "It's just a dog, not a human".... "We have more important priorities then paying a vet bill." I think I would MUCH rather have a dog as a friend then a human ANY day!!!!

I agree with your post Lucky!!
Old July 27th, 2004, 01:47 PM

There would be limits here. Definately taking them to the vet first and see what is wrong. Is it treatable? I don't think I would do a $ 5000 surgery. Yes I would be very sad to say no. I have a 16 yo cat and I would not prolong his life for the sake of ours. He's starting to become senile and if it comes to a point he is extremely sick I could not let him live because how much better would it be for him. He is having a good life so far.

I have kids and their need comes first unfortunately.
Old July 27th, 2004, 03:45 PM

agree

I have to agree with Cinnabear. I'd let my pet die naturally as long as it is not suffering at all. I would pay for pain killers but couldn't pay for a 5000.00$surgery or treatment. I know that this is a pet problem here in Canada and vet visits can become expensive. Many of us have more than 1 pet to add expenses to kids, cars, mortage, bills,,,I hope I never have to make that kind of choice for my dogs.
Laurie
Old July 27th, 2004, 03:51 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree with you guys as well to an extent. I think that if my dog was to say swallow something and needed emergency surgery to repair her esophogus (sp) and she's only 1 year old. I would do it. If she was 14 and ver sick I would weigh my options.
Old July 27th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Senior Contributor

This picture was taken of Miko at the benefit. The tattoos on her back were for positioning her correctly during the radiation. Expensive but worth every penny! This dog was indirectly responsible for my brother's life being saved a month before. She went on to live another 5 yrs with good quality of life even though she was in a wheel-cart the last year.
Attached Images

Old July 27th, 2004, 05:34 PM
Senior Contributor

OK!! I just have to say to me if you have the means,there is no price on how much i would spend,i would of spent thousands on training for my dog IF i had the money............................................. ...He was everything to me and if money was the onyl issue and you have it there should be no price on your dogs life.........
Old July 28th, 2004, 02:28 AM

I guess living in Korea gives me a different perspective from some of you. To be honest, I feel actual pangs of guilt when I see people in subway stations begging for money to get them the surgery that will save their lives... It's hard for my Korean husband to accept how much we've spent on Casey already, knowing that money could possible save a human's life. I've told him it's a different thing -- I'm spending that money INSTEAD of having expensive clothes, or eating extravagant food, and I give the same amount of change to the people in the subway as I ever did... But the principle is a little hard to swallow. Some of you may consider people and pets to be equally important, but I was raised to believe that as much as I love my pets, people come first.

Glassglass, you're absolutely right about making sacrifices, and since Casey has gotten sick, I've been cutting corners on absolutely everything money-wise. But I guess it's worse for me right now because I'm not earning money -- I'm studying and my husband is the one topping up my bank account...

Anyway, this isn't a fun thread, but definitely interesting.
Old July 29th, 2004, 02:38 AM
A.R.Activist & Vet Assis.

There is no limit for me.Luckily, mind you I dont need to worry, working at the animal hospital. I see my animal companions similar to children. They depend on me for care when they are sick,the need me to provide shelter,food,water,love,etc.I would do whatever it takes to get the money for them. Including selling things or getting another job or taking a loan. I totally know what you mean by not affording vet care and unexpected tragedies,etc. I'm the type that would end up bankrupt for her furbabies. Thats just who I am. Now, what you need to do , BEFORE, anything, God forbid happens, is find out if there is a non profit or something in your area that would help cover emergency vet costs. Here, we have a few, thank goodness....and more are needed mind you. There are even places now that will pay partial or full cost for spaying and neutering for low income pet owners...which is AWESOME! So,please make sure you check around and cover all bases ahead of time so you are fully prepared and not caught off guard. Ask at your veterinarians office, Shelters, etc
Old July 29th, 2004, 03:42 AM

Not sure that applies here in Korea, but an excellent point Shae! I believe I heard of that kind of help when I had my cat spayed in Canada, but didn't qualify (which was fair).
Old July 29th, 2004, 08:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Just remember those Mrs. Fields cookies! I want to be a familiar figure with my vet and his staff. I haven't had a financial problem, but you never know what could happen if something really serious came up. Who is prepared for everything? I figure, if I have a good relationship and rapport with my vet, he'll be more willing to try to work with me. Actually, that's a good idea in any situation. Showing a little appreciation and treating other people in a friendly and courteous manner isn't just for vets.
Old July 29th, 2004, 10:59 AM
A.R.Activist & Vet Assis.

Arrow

Glassglass.........excellent point! This happens to be very very true. New clients since they were not known seldom got any breaks.....however, if you are well known to the office.....this includes the receptionist who DOES have pull with the veterinarian as he asks her take on people in money situations. Go in often.....aside from routine checkups and vaccinations..show your face every now and then and make sure you establish good credit with them................always pay in full (no NSF's)for vaccines,checkups .all the little things, then IF something unexpected occurs,chances are you make get that break. Perhaps in the way of a cost cut or allowed to make payments over months,post dated cheques,etc. TIP...... Thank you cards and Christmas cards are always appreciated by them. This one lady everytime she brought her pet in, no matter what it was for............the simplest of procedures, we'd end up with a card for doctors and staff occassionally along with either flowers,wine or treats. *LOL* She was a sweet lady and the doctors seemed to giver her pref. treatment. And NO, I am not saying to take in flowers etc!!! *L* Just show your "FRIENDLY" face a lot and make sure that the staff gets to know you and your pet.
Old July 29th, 2004, 11:00 AM
Senior Contributor

I started to post this article under "Newspaper Stories", but then thought maybe this is the proper thread to put it under.

http://www.thekcrachannel.com/news/3587107/detail.html
Old July 29th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Senior Contributor

OMG, what would you do then!??! That's an absolutely horrible thing to do to someone, especially an 80 year old man. That's just so sad.

If my dog was dognapped for money, and I ever found out who did it, I can only imagine what I would do....
Old July 29th, 2004, 11:14 AM
Senior Contributor

It's a scary thought also that other criminals will see this as an easy way to extort money. We need to be really vigilant in protecting our pets!
Old July 29th, 2004, 11:24 AM

It is so interesting to read this post. Since honestly I do not know how to answer it.
I currently have an 8 week old puppy that is in need of help. In fact he is at the vet right now where they are trying to help him and me come to some decisions about treatment.
The vet feels I need to have a consult with a Pet Neurologist. Now my question is, is how much will this cost...and then if he is treatable how much will that cost and can I really afford this. Or will I spend all this money I am spending in vain????!!!
My heart is telling me I have too, because I chose to give this little guy a REAL chance at life, and to not do it I would be letting him down.
Is he in pain...no, but if he doesn't get better his condition could hurt him in the end.
He is a blind puppy, if you guys have read any of my other posts and he has some serious balance issues, plus a few other things.
He is so very smart, and gets around wonderfully. To whatch him you would never know he was blind at all, but at the same time you would wonder by his movements what is wrongbecause of his lack of balance and co-ordination.
I want to help him get better and so far we are moving quite quickly upwards in dollar signs.
I liked the idea of the BBQ fundraiser and believe me if I do find that he does have a chance I will do all in my power to raise the funds to help him.
But honestly when is enough, enough...I really don't know.
Old July 29th, 2004, 12:09 PM
Senior Contributor

That's a question every pet owner has to face, sooner or later, and one we all dread. There is no pat answer. You have to evaluate all factors. I think the initial cost to find out what you're dealing with is reasonable. Then you have to evaluate what kind of life quality will exist afterwards, and what will the pet have to endure during? No guarantees and so difficult to answer. All the vets can really do is give you an educated guess based on experience and knowledge. You have to search within yourself what you are able and willing to give. No one can fault you if you decide either way after doing your best to do the best for your pet.
Old July 29th, 2004, 01:44 PM

People will find this hard to believe, but I am one of the ones that find my animals are like my kids. But I have been able to distinguish what is necessary and what isn't.
When I found my oldest cat at 3 months of age, I spent over $1000 the first few months I had her with various operations due to a broken leg, going in heat, boils , infections, etc. and don't regret a moment of it. Same with my new kitty. She's already been to the vet to the tune of $100.

But I am a worrier and a panicker and hoped that I would be able to enter the ask the vet (silly me assumed there was a vet there) to reassure me that things are ok because I would be there all the time spending money unneccessarily. I have no hesitations taking any of my animals to the vet when needed.
Old July 29th, 2004, 01:53 PM
Senior Contributor

I dont find that hard to believe at all,they are like kids,worth all the money in the world IF you have it to spend....
Old July 29th, 2004, 02:57 PM

thats right, if you have it to spend. And that's why I have joined various other forums. I am able to come online to find out if I really have something to worry about or if it's something that is ok. I have found that in my city they will not treat anything over the phone. My kitten last week had diarhea and they made the appointment for two days from then(she was fine, playing and eating and sleeping other than the poopy) I asked them what I could do or serve her in the meantime till the appointment and I was told at all the places I called they couldn't treat anything until they saw her. That's why I got online. I didn't want her to get worse in those two days, but she wasn't sick enough to warrant an $80 visit to the emergency clinic.(I would have if she had a fever, lethargic, throwing up, listless, but she wasn't)
Old July 29th, 2004, 04:21 PM

Thankfully I have never had to put a pet down, well, except for a hamster when I was eleven years old (felt like my world was falling apart!).

I have spent almost four hundred on one surgery for my cat Skittles, not including the emergency run to the SPCA hospital, or secondary visit to his Vet's because of a major problem with the surgery. But that was something easily that they can bounce back from....if you are talking about major surgery, like for a broken back, I don't know what I would do. It would depend on what the outcome was....if there was a lifetime of pain and agony, then I think I would choose to let them go.