Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old July 26th, 2004, 10:32 PM
banned user

Tell All?

I haven't been here that long, maybe this has been said before, but I would like to know more about you guys... ages, married? Kids, (both human and non) where you all are from. Brothers, sisters? That type of thing.

My name is Alicia, I'm from Allentown, Pennsylvania (yes the same Allentown Billy Joel sings of) I've lived here all my life, 26 years. My birthday is on St Patty's Day.
I have 3 sisters, 1 brother, and an awesome mommy!!

I've been married for 4 years and still with my high school sweetheart, together for 10 years now and we have an 8 year old son.

We have 4 cats, Snooky 7 yrs old, Sneaky 4 yrs old, Stormy 9 months old and Sox 5 months old. And no, my sons name does not start with an S!

I just thought it would be cool to tell things about our lives besides the critters we share them with.
Old July 26th, 2004, 11:20 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

....'and they're closing all the factories down' '

Well nice thread, good idear!

I'm older then you lmfho and I don't have kids yet that aren't furry haha! I love love! A Gemini with my birthday in May. Chinese horoscope has me as a 'dog' so appropriate. I am a yogaholic so to speak and relaxation therapist. Practicing yoga for many years and going for my teaching certificate (though not required in Ontario...more credible for clients though)

I am an artsy person and get creative flows that tend to steer me in many different directions.

I love the summer because I can hang my clothes outside to dry, and get that fresh air smell to my sheets ahhhhh

I do not like George Bush and wish there were more Michael Moore's in this world!

(that from a Canadian)
Old July 26th, 2004, 11:45 PM
Senior Contributor

I may be older than both of you together! Doesn't mean any smarter . . . .!

Met my hubby in college. We've been married 37 yrs, 4 days. We both work at the college where we met. I have 2 brothers. None of us have kids. My mom say all her grandchildren have 4 feet and tails.

1 miniature poodle (Den-Den, 6 yo) and 1 tuxedo kitty (Puss-Puss, 15 yo). My mom's toy poodle (Corky, 1-1/2 yo) is very much part of our family too.

Outside interests include stained glass, pottery, gardening, ethnic cooking, and cake decorating. I spend a lot of my time grooming poodles - mine, mom's, and mom's neighbor's (Spunky). Spunky is my "god-child". When the neighbors go on an extended trip, Spunky stays with us, much to Puss-Puss' disgust.
Old July 27th, 2004, 12:50 AM

I'm a sahm to 3 dd's. One is a teen, the middle is just about a teen and a rebel, the 3rd is my sun angel. We live in Northern Alberta.

We have 2 dogs Newt (Lhasa Apso/terrier) and Hera(Shihtzu/poodle). And boy are they ever attached to me. And my family wonders why. Unconditional love at its greatest.

We also have 3 cats. Tabu who is 16 yrs old whose starting senility. Wisp is a big cat . And Sprite who is never around me but loves the middle dd alot.

I love the web.
Old July 27th, 2004, 01:13 AM

Hi all!

I came to Korea to teach English 4 years ago, and just before I was set to leave met the "love of my life" and now I'm stuck here forever!!! (well, maybe we'll move to Canada some day...)

I'm 27 in Canadian years (yep, they calculate them differently in Korea -- here I'm already 29!!!), and I'm ashamed to admit that my husband was once my student! At least it was a non-graded class. Does that make it any better?

We're already married on paper, but the wedding is actually next month and my mother and brother will be coming to partake in the celebration. My father died in an accident last year which is why I decided to have the wedding in Korea only, not a second one in Canada.

We have on toy poodle puppy named Casey who drives me up the wall, but I don't know what I'd do without him!

These days I'm studying Korean instead of teaching, and after the wedding I'm going to take a break and try to write fiction -- hopefully something publishable!

By the way, my name is Tamara. I thought it was probably taken, so I used my Korean married name. And no, we're not Moonies!
Old July 27th, 2004, 01:48 AM
banned user

You guys are so interesting! Seems like I didn't say much compared to you!

I also love reading Sylvia Browne books, scrapbooking, and definitely love the web and meeting new people.

I love dogs but I don't think I would be good at training or have the patience, so kitties are enough for me. They always make me smile.

My favorite foods are Halupki (stuffed cabbage) Beef Stroganoff and hot wings!

My son is the love of my life, he amazes me everyday, he's the only kid I know who will say asparagus and tuna are his favorite foods! He's my moms 8th grandchild... She has 13 total! So that makes me auntie Alicia (or woewoe) to 12 nieces and nephews.

Glasslass, Happy Anniversary 4 days late!

Last edited by Sneaky2006; July 30th, 2004 at 04:54 PM. Reason: FOOD!
Old July 27th, 2004, 07:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Seeing I'm 60,my history is toooo long,but in a nut-shell:Originally from Sweden,married 40 yrs to a great handsome man from France.
Emmigrated to Canada 1974.Have 3 grown sons,3 cats +semi-pets a raccoon-family,4 crows and FiFi my squirrel and all my backyard birds.
Gardening is one of my passions,painting and renovating the house another and having learned English,German and French in school(a looong time ago!!)I am currently trying to learn Spanish.Hubby puts me to shame speaking 5 languages.
We are now empty nesters,no tears,we enjoy every minute of it
Old July 27th, 2004, 07:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luba
I do not like George Bush and wish there were more Michael Moore's in this world!
(that from a Canadian)
Tee Hee, funny the things that we agree on!!

My name is Samantha. I am not as old as Luba LOL, We have two furry kids, Connor a 3 year old male DSH, and Briggs a 9 month old female Pit Bull. They get along famously!! Well, that's an exageration (sp) - it's early still... They are tolerating each other more now then when Briggs first came to the family.
I work in and around Toronto, live in Brampton ... have a "common law" spouce... we plan to marry officially next year! FINALLY!!! It's a screwed up story, and the short version is that we were college sweethearts, and have been engaged for almost 4 years!!! What can you do!?!?? That's about it...

Last edited by sammiec; July 27th, 2004 at 08:01 AM. Reason: holy spelling batman!!!
Old July 27th, 2004, 05:30 PM
Senior Contributor

you people are funny, but it is really interesting to hear about the ppl behind the computers.
well my name is mel, and i am 28yo. i am a life time student or some would say academic but i am never really sure, but i love to study and learn, if i am not learning i get depressed and see no point to anything. i live in the lovely land of OZ (australia) and prefer to pronounce it aus-tra-ya, good occa pronunciation, i love all things aussie, love aussie characters and our humor and i love my land and its indigenous ppl, it is a part of me and i will never live anywhere else, couldnt. married to a lovelly aussie bloke whom i have been with for 5yrs married to for almost 4months. we have one chubby little fur ball, she is 8yo GSDX and just lovely. she loves her doggie parents to bits and is forever making us jealous of each other in a bid to win her attention (hey i was her mummy for years before he came along, but i am top dog here, we just dont tell him that) no non fur kids yet, next year perhaps .
i have an adorable big sister, my crystal, she is 31 tomorrow (so shocking for me) and is a single mummy with two beautiful babies, 9yo and 2yo, who are the center of my little world and they love thier furry cousin to bits and are all the best of friends.
i dont like the web much, freaks me out a little, this board is the only place i go, other than that only email and uni stuff.
at the moment i am working on my materialistic side and trying to beat it down, i dont want to see my self as that type of person, it helps by saying to myself, 'do you think the ppl in sudan care about your possessions', no just survival and i try to think of the less fortunate often to bring me back to reality, it also helps to remember that someone is ethiopia would think i live like a queen, helps to appreciate what i have and what is really important.
hate mr bush, hate john howard for his love of mr bushes backside am totally terrified of america and its society, and cant stand michael Moore (i see him as a very unhealthy over opinionated freak) but but hubby says he is a fresh breeze for america and they need it
Old July 28th, 2004, 01:27 AM
banned user

Well!

I'd rather listen to Micheal Moore than George W. Bush ANY day. Nuff said.

I am originally from Canada but live here in New Mexico, which is my personal paradise.

My name is Sadie. Yep. And I bet you had a dog with that name. Or an aunt. Or an aunt who had a dog with that name....

I have a Great Dane (Raja) and a Finnish Spitz (Chloe). Just got back from taking Raja on her first camping trip. She hated it. Groaned audibly, pouted, whined and kept jumping back in the Jeep as if to say LETS GO HOME. Finally she got into the tent and pretty much stayed there for the entire trip, grumbling her dissatisfaction. She is one incredibly pampered pooch with very little interest in the great outdoors.
Chloe is the exact opposite.

I have a 13 year old son that I am still trying to deserve. I think kids are an advance from God. My son is the brightest light in my life. If I can be half the parent my Mom was/is to me, I'll be pretty proud of myself.

I love carnivals and spontaneous road trips without a map. I love driving in the summer with the windows down and the stereo UP. I love crab legs and orange popsicles and Coke IN A BOTTLE.

I have little tolerance for racism, closed-mindedness, flatulence and mopers.

Laughter is my favorite medicine.

Lord Byron wrote my favorite words.

I'm saving up to buy my dog a Winnebago.
Old July 28th, 2004, 10:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Wow!!!! Things you thought you knew but didn't really!!! LOL

My name is Chris (short for Christine, but got called Chrissy right up until college - ugh!!). I will be 33 in August, and I am the youngest of 6 kids. My parents will be celebrating their 51st wedding anniversary in August. I have 6 neices and nephews who I spoil like crazy, and think I'm the greatest Aunt in the world! My family is very close, and my parents are in their 70's. Always had a dog growing up, went a few too many years after I moved out without one, so now......Brick gets all the pent up love from those years!! LOL

I am living common law (shhhh, don't tell anyone) with my "babe" Tim, but we are getting married in April. Can't wait!!! I am a teacher, love my job, work my ass off all year and fully enjoy my much deserved summer holidays!!! I doubt we will have human babies - but who knows!! I have 3 degrees (I too was a professional student for many years!! ) and am STILL paying off my student loans!! UGH!!

We live in a tiny house in Calgary, close to the river which pleases me and our dog Brick. We rescued Brick about 5 months ago and he has been an absolute joy in our lives. We also have 2 cats, Spunky and Tux, who I had as companions in my many years of singledom! Now Tux loves Tim more than me!! When I met Tim, I came into first contact with lizards and geckos and have now adopted them into my heart as well!! We have 3 leopard geckos, 1 anole, 1 house gecko, 2 Giant African land snails and 2 betta fish as well as the furry four legged critters.

I enjoy reading Dean Koontz books, watching movies, walking the dog, playing with the critters, hanging out with Tim and friends, camping, biking, gardening, swimming, am learning to rollerblade (still not sure if I like it), and whatever else comes my way!! Not a big fan of politics (maybe if Klein were out of here I'd be ok with it), heights, snakes, spiders, and high maintenance people.

Phew!!! Thats the Readers Digest version!!! LOL
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)
Old July 28th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Quote:
Sylvia Browne
I LOVE HER!!

I'm not 'that' much older then Sam but I am older...not by much though....oh crap with age tee hee hee

Who's tired of reality tv?
Old July 28th, 2004, 01:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I LOVE HER!!

I'm not 'that' much older then Sam but I am older...not by much though....oh crap with age tee hee hee

Who's tired of reality tv?
You kill me!! You're hilarious!! Yeah I am getting sick of reality tv.. well, except, Big Brother, Outback Jack, Baby Story (is that considered reality), Monster Garage (Mmmm Jesse!), and .... did I say I was SICK of reality tv?!?!?! There's nothing else on tv that's good... I'm a HUGE sucker for trash tv... reality tv, is there a difference???? LOL. Melrose Place used to be my favourite show, until it went off the air, and they don't show ANY reruns, unless your fluent in French... Maybe Lucky, you can tape the shows, voice over in english and mail it to me?!?!?
Old July 28th, 2004, 01:59 PM
Senior Contributor

mmmmmmmmmmmm, jessE is right SAMMIEC............YUMMY.........................
Old July 28th, 2004, 02:39 PM

My name is Jackie and I live in Houston TX. I was born and raised in Butler PA though (it's about 45 min from pittsburgh). I'm only 19. I live with my mom and her boyfriend and soon my fiance. I'm going to get married next may (no definite date set yet) and my Tomas is mexican, so i'm learning spanish cuz his mom doesn't speak english. I have two fur babies. An itailian greyhound named Candi who is 8 months old on the 30th, and a cat named Jasmine who is 10 y/o. she has been with me since i was in third grade so i'm pretty attached to her. my mom also has a whippet named BJ that is 2 y/o and i'm very attached to him too. (BJ and Candi sleep in my bed with me at night). right now i'm attending college to become a Medical Technologist. right now i work as an adminastrative assistant at a company called technical soluitons inc. and i staff medical technologist which is what i want to become. i love hearing about everybody. it's really interesting.
Old July 28th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

UGH gag me, sick to my stomach but reality is addictive but brain draining.

I'd like to have my own reality show! LMFHO

I'm actually going to dig my library card out and look for some of S.B's books this week. She is amazing I love her. Sam she's comin to Toronto in Sept I think!!
Old July 28th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Let's go Luba, (LOL, I was going to put Lube, but that's NOT nice!!!) Maybe she can tell us why we're such wack jobs!!!LOL!!!
Old July 28th, 2004, 04:22 PM

It was great to read about all of you, so I thought I would let you know about me since I am a "newbie"!

I am 20 years old, living in Ponoka Alberta. Its by Red Deer... Anyway, I am living with my boyfriend, hopefully soon to be fiance....we have been together for 2 1/2 years, we met at college. I knew I would marry him instantly...he seems to be taking a little longer

I grew up on a farm near Camrose Alberta (by Edmonton). I LOVE the farm and would give anything to live on a farm again. Unfortunately, BSE has a lot to say abou that... Anyway a couple of my babies live at the farm, Duchess a bichon frise who we have had since I was 9. She thinks she is a princess! And there is Maddie a shih tzu bichon x, who is actually mine, but when I moved home to the farm for a few months after college she fell in love with the wide open spaces...I couldnt bring myself to take her away when I left so Mom and Dad have a new kid.

I also have a furbaby of my own, Annie, also a shih tzu bichon x. She is almost 6 months now, and a great joy in my life!

I have 2 sisters one older one younger. In my free time, I like to hang out with Annie, and Cody (my bf). I love to read. My favorite book of all time is To Kill a Mockingbird, but I am also a huge fan of anything John Grisham. I also enjoy working with any animals (loved the cows at the farm) and love to ride horses. Thats me in a nutshell!
Old July 28th, 2004, 07:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Neat thread, I hope all the "regulars" chime in, would be nice to know more info, I am still quite new here.

My name is Diane and I live in North Carolina. I love to hate computers, since they provide my paycheck and my headaches.

I was born in Michigan, visited once in Canada at age 7 (threw that in for goody points, lol). Most of my life has been in the southeast United States, GA, AL, FL, NC, VA, TN.

I turned 42 in June of this year, and until about a week before that never had to suffer the loss of an older animal dying from old age problems. Mine until then, mostly while I was growing up, had died of other causes.

Now my family consists of:
13 yr old half manx male cat, Cody
8 1/2 yr old male dog, Rudy, part spitz and part shepherd (see avatar to see him)
5 yr old female dog, Delaney (Laney), part lab and Australian shepherd
and two solid black girl cats, soon to be 3, Harley and Huxley, (note: Harley acts more like a dog than any cat I have ever known.)
two outside male cats that decided to live with us, one 4 yr old solid white named Spaz and one gray and white named Grayson, not sure his age, my guess is 5-6

I have been in NC for almost 20 yrs now, and share house with a roomie formerly from upstate NY who loves these animals as much as I do, good thing, huh?

Lastly about human family, I am the 5th of 5, with siblings in FL, GA, AL and VA, and nieces and nephews in as many states. My Dad is located about 10 minutes from me.

This is the only site I visit daily, keep up the good work, owners, moderators, members and posters.

dmc
Old July 29th, 2004, 02:06 AM
banned user

Luba and Sammiec, have you read a lot of Sylvias books? Did you know she's on Montel almost every Wednesday?
She was just on msn chat on the 21st but I missed it
Old July 29th, 2004, 02:28 AM
A.R.Activist & Vet Assis.

Can I play?
I'm from Vancouver BC Canada, 30 something years old *LOL* Turning 30 somethingish yet again in August. I have 2 amazing daughters...8 and 10 years old. I've had animal companions all my life and am vegetarian going vegan. I'm an ARA...but not the "militant" type I guess. I have dogs, cats, mice,rex X dumbo eared rats, and bunnies. ALL RESCUES. I worked at an animal hospital for 15-16 years as assistant/surgical assistant and also worked in animal ER.
And, I too, love Sylvia Browne! .....also John Edward! It's nice to meet all of you!
Old July 29th, 2004, 11:43 AM
Animal Lover!!

Hi! Wow, it's so nice to find out background information about everyone here My turn, my turn!!
I am 28..will be 29 in November, and have been married to my high school sweetheart for almost 5 years. We live in Edmonton, I was born and raised here for pretty much my whole life with a few years outside. We have no human children.....yet Not sure if we ever will. But with the way my family harasses me about it, you'd think the future population depends solely on us!
We have two kitty's who are our babies, I had Sades before we moved in together and she was my baby, but now she loves daddy more. Talon is a total mama's boy so it works for us. We're getting a puppy in August, which is wonderful as I miss having a dog around. We always had dogs growing up. I love love reality TV, I am so addicted. Right now, it's BB 5, and Trading Spouses! Can't wait for Survivor in September. I also love to read! My mom does too, which is awesome because she gives me garbage bags full of books at a time, it feels like Christmas

Well, I think that's about it!!!
Talon 7yrs - Male
My Little Chocolate Girl - Solara - ** 10 MONTHS **
Old July 29th, 2004, 03:38 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Sneaky I watch her on Montel ya ya ya I really like her a lot!

Sam you can put Lube, it's one of my many nicknames
Old July 29th, 2004, 05:55 PM
Senior Contributor

well im not sure what sort of LUBE job one would get but i dont really need it so its ok
oh talons ma, what is it about our age, both 28yo and happy but my family also thinks the future of the nation is my responsibility, ahhhh, it kills me, mother has actually started making baby quilts in hope, OMG.
they drive me crazy
PS frogot to mention i loooove aussie drama and comedy, we make the best tv around as far as im concerned
Old July 29th, 2004, 09:37 PM
Animal Lover!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanie
well im not sure what sort of LUBE job one would get but i dont really need it so its ok
oh talons ma, what is it about our age, both 28yo and happy but my family also thinks the future of the nation is my responsibility, ahhhh, it kills me, mother has actually started making baby quilts in hope, OMG.
they drive me crazy
PS frogot to mention i loooove aussie drama and comedy, we make the best tv around as far as im concerned
Oh no! LOL Your mother has started making you quilts? Ha ha Last time I saw my mom I got the guitl trip "I'm really starting to thnk you will never have a baby/...*big sigh*" I mean give it up !!
Talon 7yrs - Male
My Little Chocolate Girl - Solara - ** 10 MONTHS **
Old July 29th, 2004, 10:19 PM

You folks are a riot! I've been reading thru some older threads. Wow! I hope I never say anything to tick the regulars off (see the thread about the caved-in head)!!

My name's Vicky. I, too, am 30-something. Born and raised in Montreal, QC, youngest of 5. Moved to Ontario at age 30 to follow my job (worked in Toronto - yuk! - but live in God's Country, about an hour's commute North). Been married for 13 years to my highschool sweetheart. We have 2 beautiful little boys (Andrew, 5yrs and Eric, 10 mths). Our first dog, Murphy, passed away 2 yrs ago this Sept at age 11. I still get choked up thinking of her. Finally convinced hubby that the boys and I needed another pooch in our life, so we "rescued" Phoebe in mid-June (still not sure who rescued whom). Brooklyn, the 9yr old DSH cat puts up with Phoebe's antics because he's been lonely since Murphy passed away.

Other than dogs (is there anything else??), I enjoy reading (was into LOTR before the movies came out), writing (hoping to be published some day), horses (used to rent 'em in St. Lazare, Lucky!), home renovations. Hubby and I are both into motorcycles, although I haven't ridden since before I got pregnant with the first. Can't Stand so-called "reality shows" (someone once posted a puking smiley - if I could find it, I'd paste it here!)! I much prefer the real reality shows (Animal Planet, Discovery, TLC).

Boy, I sure can ramble once I get going! Sorry!!
Old July 30th, 2004, 07:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Sam you can put Lube, it's one of my many nicknames
K, I'll put Lube then!!! LOL! My nickname is Sammie Pants, or Sammy J. (I'll explain the first very odd nickname)....when I was in school a friend of mine was trying to guess my middle name; I pointed to my jeans (Jean) as a clue and he came up with pants. Since then, Sammie Pants has stuck with me...
Old July 30th, 2004, 01:05 PM

Hi, I am 26 years old and live just outside Halifax, Nova Scotia.
I have 2 black cats pepper who is 5 and Joey who is 4. Our newest member of the family is Sophie our Shih Tzu who will be 12 weeks tommorow.
I met my husband in grade 11, we graduated together, went to the same collage together, also worked part time during college at the same place. We have now been married for 3 years and work full time for the same company. I guess we just like being together. We have no kids but are trying to adopt at the moment. Not sure how long that will take.
I enjoy gardening (When its not snowing ), cooking, shopping, and just relaxing on the deck.
I am fairly new here and have learned soooo much from everyone. Thanks very much.

3 very furry kids -

2 black cats - Pepper and Joey
1 Shih Tzu Puppy - Sophie
Old July 30th, 2004, 05:40 PM
Sheltie Mom

I'm Ashley. I'm 16, live in Vancouver, BC, and am going into the 12th grade in September.

I have two siblings. One brother, one sister, both younger.

No kids yet (*snickers*) but I do have two fur-kids, Kai and Kaedyn. Both are Shelties. Kai's 2, Kaedyn's 5. I'm hoping to get my third fur-kid sometime within the next 3 years from Rainforest Collies. I'm still learning about it but I'm hoping the third dog will be my show dog. My fourth dog (Border Collie) is coming from herding lines. After that, who knows! Maybe 4 will be my limit but.. if not, I want to rescue/foster actively.

I'm hoping to teach (obedience) classes not too long after graduation. In about a month's time, I'll be working at the PNE (ughhhhhhhh!) and may *possibly* be working at a dog daycare..depending on how my trial day goes.

I absolutely detest reading but I do it anyways for the sake of learning more about dogs. You'll never find me reading any other types of books though!

I LOVE webdesign/graphics. I've been doing it for a couple years and do it as a hobby. I also enjoy sports but don't get a lot of time to do it now. I love going up to Whistler to snowboard when I can.
Old July 31st, 2004, 04:18 AM

Thumbs up Hi ! From England

Hi ! Folks my name is as above i am very new to this site and find it very interesting as we,My wife Nicola and i have 1 German shepperd bitch named Gypsey,2 tabby cats Sparky and Beemer oh and a tank of tropical fish.We have 2 sons 20yrs and 16yrs we are school sweethearts who wed 28yrs ago but have been together 32 yrs.We live in a village that is close to a nearby town but just about retains the luxury of being in the countryside which we both love ! Somerset for those of you who dont know this land is on the S.W. side and we are lucky to have coastline and forestry and open countryside at our disposal for walks etc.I still dont quite understand how all this works on here but I am learning my way around and enjoying browsing around .By the way ! The boxer_man_r80rt below my name is not as in boxer dogs it is in fact the type of motorcycle i treasure as besides the family 4 wheel taxi me and Nicola also enjoy an occasional trip out on our touring motorcycle of german manufacture .Good to find you folks !