Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a cat - listings

Old July 26th, 2004, 05:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Unhappy Sad update on the 20 cats

There are now 11 cats left. Of those, 10 are determined to be feral. Since there are no facilities or sanctuaries for cats like this they are to be all euthanzied.
Old July 26th, 2004, 06:08 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

NOOOOOOOOOOO LR NOOOO!

What would happen if someone adopted one? Whats the worst thing that can happen????
Old July 26th, 2004, 06:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Luba, I have 3 feral cats in my own home,(one is very tame now, one is tame only with me, and one is still feral) and have tamed many more, but most people can't deal with these cats, and don't want pets who need months of work and taming.

There are two kinds of ferals - what I call the "tigers", who are overtly aggressive, and the "scaredy cats" who are very timid. The scaredy cats are the easier of the two. And to answer your question, the worst that could happen is that you have a cat in your house that may never sit in your lap.

This is just breaking my heart, because I know how rewarding it can be to tame feral cats.
Old July 26th, 2004, 06:56 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Is there ANYTHING we can do?

Obviously these cats have been in an apt, indoors...so they CAN work out, they've been inside already.

Who made this final decision and has it happened yet or do we still have time??
Old July 26th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

What about these people, can they help somehow
http://www.animalrescuenetwork.org/
Welcome to the Animal Rescue Network web site!

The largest non-kill shelter in Montreal, entirely run by volunteers.

Edited to add:
I just sent them an email
HOPING for the best
Old July 27th, 2004, 09:36 AM
Crusader

Animal Rescue

It's Interesting that you mentioned Animal Rescue Network Luba* .. i've been trying to contact them about adopting one of their cat's since saturday july 24th..and i've now left 3 voice messages and 1 e-mail..and still no followup.. i understand it's just a few of them volunteering at any given time..but
i see they keep updating their website and cat's are being *ADOPTED* now i've got my finger's crossed hoping that i dont see the "ADOPTED" message on the cat that i am interested in adopting.. it's frustrating knowing that every second that we lose is so precious and well i could lose the kitty that i've fallen in love with...trixy trixy trixy
I'll be sure to keep you guys posted on this problem...

PS: the reason i said *Trixy three (3) times is because i plan on renaming
the little kitty too Trixy.....ahem that's if i do get her!! dont i wish!!
Old July 27th, 2004, 11:35 AM
Senior Contributor

If you dont' get this kitten, the Hudson Animal Hospital has 20 kittens needing homes! They are all healthy and vaccinated!!

Let me know.
Old July 28th, 2004, 01:03 PM

so, what's the current situation ?
Old August 1st, 2004, 05:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh no Lucky,did you not say in the beginning all the cats were de-clawed,how do you declaw a feral cat? Were they not all living with a lady that died?
Old August 1st, 2004, 07:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
did you not say in the beginning all the cats were de-clawed,how do you declaw a feral cat? Were they not all living with a lady that died?
Since cats are under general anesthetic for the declaw, it really doesn't matter if they are feral or not.

Yes, they all lived with this woman. I have a feral cat living here right now. I can't approach or touch her, unless she is in "her" room and it's feeding time.

There are two kinds of ferals - the "tiger" type who will attack, and the "scaredy cat" type who is extremely timid. Mine is the scaredy type.

If I died, no one would want to adopt her either.
Old August 1st, 2004, 07:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
If I died, no one would want to adopt her either.
I would and I would name her after you!!! And I want Chloe too, God forbid you do die...
Old August 1st, 2004, 08:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I would and I would name her after you!!!
Can I get that in writing? You would have to take Stinkerbelle too, since she and Mommacat (feral) are very close!

As for Chloe, I'm sure she would love you and your cat, but she wouldn't approve much of Briggs! My brother has said he will take her if I go belly-up!

Here is my wild little Momma:
Old August 2nd, 2004, 05:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Lucky,she is just adorable,looks like a little angel
Sorry for my ignorance.I had this idea in my head of feral cats being wild-cats,not aproachable,like my"George"was and that if you wanted to get a feral cat to a vet to get declawed,you would be in for a heck of a fight.
Did you know this lady?Why on earth would she have feral cats declawed?
Would that not make a feral cat very vulnerable?
I am very sorry to hear about the remaining 10 cats,maybe they are not feral at all,I know my cats,especially Rocky would not be very sociable if kept in a cage and could easily be deemed feral.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 06:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Chico, it's not "ignorance". Most people haven't dealt with feral cats and know little about them. I wish I didn't know anything about them.

Usually they will be okay with and trust the person who tamed them, but not anyone else. Two of mine are this way. Stinkerbelle gets hysterical if ANYONE even comes into the house and will hide until they leave, even if it's 7 or 8 hours later. Even with me, she is still very skittish and I've had her since she was 8 weeks old! Most feral cats are very difficult and definitely not for everyone! These are basically wild animals and must be tamed. Some can never be tamed. If you have ever seen an adult feral cat in a trap, you would know what a daunting task it is to think about taming.

Most people who are looking for a pet cat don't want a wild animal that could take months to calm down in their houses - or might never come around. Some people will take them, but they are few and far between.

This lady rescued cats off the street, got them all declawed and kept them herself. I didn't know her. I never saw the cats, and I don't even know if all these cats are feral, but since we have nothing to offer in the way of placement, we really couldn't argue about the final decision. It was made by another lady who was left in charge of all these cats. They were not in cages, but still in the apartment they lived in.

Unless I could offer to take them all in, there is no way to argue with this woman's decision.

We have to think of the ones we can save, and the only comfort is that these cats lived indoors with everything they needed. They could have all died horrible deaths on the street.

Seeing even one animal killed ONLY because of human stupidity, ignorance and cruelty makes me ill, but I cannot dwell on it or I wouldn't be able to deal with homeless cats at all.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 11:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank's for explaining,I read feral and right away thought they were outside cats,but I can understand now,this lady did a wonderful thing and like you say,saving even one little life is a reason to cheer..
You know how I feel about the small miracles you and your fosters do every day and I can only imagine the heartbreak you have to deal with,it's a cruel world out there for many little felines and you guys are wonderful for doing what you do.
Old August 3rd, 2004, 11:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
Can I get that in writing? You would have to take Stinkerbelle too, since she and Mommacat (feral) are very close!

As for Chloe, I'm sure she would love you and your cat, but she wouldn't approve much of Briggs! My brother has said he will take her if I go belly-up!
Momma is very cute!!! Love those eyes!! And I remember that Stinkerbelle really likes to steal kongs... we could make that work!!
As for Chloe, there's LOTS of love from us to go around, and we would make plenty of room too!!! She's just soo adorable, I'm sure you're brother would take great care of her though, * sigh * oh Chloe, maybe you could change if you just met Briggs!!!!
Old August 3rd, 2004, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Seeing even one animal killed ONLY because of human stupidity, ignorance and cruelty makes me ill, but I cannot dwell on it or I wouldn't be able to deal with homeless cats at all.
Hats off to you and people like you! I am not sure I can handle it since I have hard time not dwelling on it. I'm still feeling really bad whenever I think of the Mammy cat I had to release (I didn't know there are things like no-kill shelter). She was abandoned and delivered babies at my place. I found home for her babies but for her, even with the shots. Looking back, I could find a place allowing cat so I could keep her myself. She might be my kitties' grandma, and one of them are very timid. He is getting better now after 8 years. Yesterday he came out for food while carpenters working in the next room. I was SO proud of him, even though most of the time he only had his head out from underneath the bed or TOTALLY out for a few seconds then went back (I had food next to the bed). But that was a huge step for him!

I can never ever let that happen to him or his brother if anything happens to me and am wondering what I can do to prevent that. I put some money aside for them, but I am not sure how to quarantee that though. Any suggestion would be really appreciated.
Old February 25th, 2006, 11:07 PM

Unhappy ferals

where are you located? i live with 8 ferals so they are not a problem. i'm looking for a long haired white female kitten, about 2 or 3 months old. ferals of any kind are not a problem. my first was a bite your fingers off kind of girl. now she's a sweetie. i'm in connecticut.
Old February 26th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
i live with 8 ferals so they are not a problem.
I wish you were closer!! We're in QC, about 85 miles from Plattsburgh, NY.

I do have a friend in Hartford, and she's coming to visit this week, but I dont' have any long haired white kittens at the moment!
Old February 26th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Fireknight, please pm catsnatcher, she has ferels, but not babies. Just look at her thread...Homeless in winter. They will be homeless and she has been trying to find a home for them

Last edited by cpietra16; February 26th, 2006 at 12:32 PM.
Old February 26th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Senior Contributor

I too have lived with ferals and rarely one will become "friendly" to others but as Lucky says - and I think that description of the two types is a good one - not sure I would use the tame but rather socialized. I have had ferals who'd live in a certain part of the house (my grandmother's for ex) but would only come out to eat or if it was a certain person and you had to get to know to read the signals too!!

Unless you get a feral kitten when s/he is under 3-4 weeks and it also depends on how many generations the cat has been feral - and then I'd add a 3rd cateegory of cats that seem feral and you get them in and a week later they are OK and you realize they may be a few moinths or maybe 6 mos from having lived with humans. It depends on so many factors. I wish someone would do more scientific classifcations on this - I know many have been done but there is no standard. Everyone has differemt nomenclature and so forth. The reseacher in me I guess.

But I have seen kittens and even young mama cats socialized but some ferals just simply not even want to live inside if they could help it - my grandmother finally built a cat flap kind of thing to what we now think of as a dog or cat walk and they could come and go, get fed and we would catch them say once a yr for a vet assessment. One old girl lived to be 20 and never really was socialzied but she survied. I took over when my gram died but like Lucky, and I have a cousin who helps me now but when we go, we will need others to take over (while the ferals have been s/n, there are ultimately some who join them - thx to unscrupulous people, sigh! - cats who are dumped, pregnant usually tho we take those to the vet and a.n them before the babies arrive and if my vet thinks it is just too late, find them homes. (That does not happen often thankfully) but it is when I find a beautiful friendly cat that has been just dumped for some stupid reason - tho on the other hand, there only other option is the SPCA and if they think the cat is feral, there is no chance for mama, sigh!! Some people - well, you know what I mean....