Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 26th, 2004, 04:29 PM

For the horse lover's

This is a pic of my yearling being haltered showed by my daughter.She came in 4th place.
Attached Images

Old July 26th, 2004, 08:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Your daughter looks so proud! Beautiful team!
Old July 26th, 2004, 09:39 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

WOW wonderful pics, i love horses
Old July 26th, 2004, 10:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Beautiful horse!!! Beautiful girl!!! You must be a very proud mom.
Do you have 2 horses?
Old July 26th, 2004, 10:10 PM

We have 3 horses, I sent in the pic of hubby's horse a couple of days ago
Old July 27th, 2004, 05:44 AM

Beautiful paint... is she a Paint for Pinto? I have 2 paints... one is solid though.

Here's a pic of Tommy - my 2 yr old filly and Luc - my 9 yr old gelding.
Luc is Impressive and skipper W bred and Tommy is a PMU with, what we were told was Peppy San and Two Eyed Jack breeding... from her looks and personality is seems that is true.
Attached Images

Old July 27th, 2004, 07:00 AM
Senior Contributor

You girls are so very lucky,the horses are so beautiful!!!
I know a wonderful young lady who owns a horse and 3 dogs,she boards her horse,but rides and takes care of it every day.She practically spends all the money she earns on her animals,especially the horse.No time in her life for a boy-friend
Old July 27th, 2004, 07:55 AM

Yah...money... we try not to talk about that... LOL

The horses aren't too bad, the feed and hay are usually not too expensive - I figured it out and since I keep my horses at a friends farm for free - expected cost - feed, farrier and such - only runs about $100/month for both of them. It's the vet bills that get you - horses are so fragile (to a certain extent) and just to get the vet out is $40, My older horse has a foot condition called navicular so he's on drugs - $100 every 50 days plug MSM - which is only about $45 for 6 months... we are hoping to be able to cut him back some, but it's still expensive. But, you do what you have to do. I've never done anything vet wise with him other than shots and annual check-up until now, so it's not that bad.

But the 2 yr old is accident prone - Young horses are often like that as they are so curious that they just get into everything. I've only had to have the vet out once - she cut her heal that time, but she's always getting into something and getting herself all scratched up and such... Last Wednesday she got herself in quite the predicament in the trailer, she climbed onto the front part of the trailer (2.5 ft off the floor) and ended up falling backwards on her back and managed to get up again (can you say Scary!)... she could have broken a leg - as it was she walked away with a few bruises and scrapes - we were soooooooo lucky. One thing with horses is you need to learn how to doctor them and check them out yourself... to some extent at least. I've been around horses all my life and have a good network of experienced horse people so we can handle most things - the regular stuff at least. If I needed to call the vet for every bump and scrap I'd be bankrupt - especially with Tommy
Old July 27th, 2004, 10:39 AM

I know all to much the cost with having horses. We board all three of ours at a nearby stable. They have 180 acres of land to ride on. It would be overwelming if I had to pay for all. Luckly I work for the owner taking care of 27 horses every weekend. My husband is now the handyman for the owner, so that pays for 2 boards.
The vet is pretty good. He comes out regular and we all split the barn fee. Comes to about $4.oo per person. Not bad hah. Then of course what ever he has to take care of. But he is very good with his prices. Also I can get on line with him on non emergy things and he will tell us what to do. Freeeeee!
My paint is a paint/quarter horse.Cant ride her yet but we love to play together, at least I do, she rather eat the grass.haha