Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 8th, 2008, 10:20 AM

Small lump on dog's nose

Hello, I have a 10 year old husky cross with a small sized lump growing on her nose. I first noticed it in the Spring and as it grew had my vet aspirated it - the biopsy results were inconclusive. It has continued to grow slowly since the biopsy in August and is now 5mm in size (about the size of an eraser head).

My vet suggests removing it now (benign or not) just because it is probably easier to do now when it is small.

I guess I should go ahead but for some reason was hesitant - perhaps because our other dog had a large lump removed from her leg in the fall because the biopsy said cancer but it turned out to be benign. However the surgery was very traumatic and I don't like putting them through surgery unless necessary.

I guess with lumps and bumps you don't want to wait but I thought I would post a picture and see if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Old December 18th, 2008, 08:53 AM

No one with a similar lump?
Old December 18th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Not here... We specialize in warty, bald bumps here

Now that it's bigger, does your vet think that another needle aspiration might tell you more?

Certainly, if your vet expects it to grow, removing it now would be your best choice--the bigger it gets, the more traumatic to remove it. The size it is now, it would take only a few stitches to close up the incision.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 18th, 2008, 02:05 PM

Thanks - I did ask about another biopsy but I guess she felt it wasn't worth it because she would want to remove it benign or not.

I think you're right - better to remove it when small because it will become more invasive the larger it gets especially when it is right beside her nostril.

It is getting more bald as it grows and protrudes through the fur - and pink like an eraser - although I guess that could fit the description of many lumps.
Old December 21st, 2008, 04:44 PM
-

How is everything now?

Sorry I missed this one. Sometimes I think I'm the Queen of Lumps and Bumps (eeee-yu-eeewww can you imagine the "Crown"???) in my house with two 9 year olds and one who-knows-how-old ?

Pink to me is almost always a bad sign in a hard lump in an odd place ~ it tells me that it has "life". But, it may just be an ingrown hair gone whacko ~ and THAT is very normal in waggers like yours.
Old December 24th, 2008, 01:29 PM

Thanks mummummum,

It's still the same - maybe a little bigger??? It is a rather flat growth and doesn't actually stick out of the fur much. I have been trying to measure it to check the rate of growth. My vet said that she would leave it at pea size but would remove anything that continues to grow or changes in consistency.

I will speak with her in the new year but will probably have it removed in January.
Old December 25th, 2008, 11:22 AM
-

Good decision given it's inflamed look ~ let us know the results though please and thank you.
Old January 13th, 2009, 12:20 PM

Update

Thought i would post a quick update. My vet examined the lump again and felt it looked less inflammed. She will not remove it at this time and wants me to watch if it continues to change or becomes ulcerated. She can feel that it is just on the surface if the skin and does not seem to go into the cartilage below.

She actually did a full body exam and found another larger lump on the inside of her hind leg and did a needle biopsy only to find it was a fluid filled cyst. So no worries about that being cancerous.

Always good to get these things checked out!
Old January 13th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Always good to get them checked out but scary while you're waiting for results!

Glad to hear that the one is just a cyst and the other seems less inflamed!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 13th, 2009, 12:47 PM

Yes - lumps and bumps always make me worry. I will probably still worry about the one on her nose just because she loves the sun. I have some natural sunscreen but she continues to lick it off so maybe I'll have to follow her around with an umbrella! Although, no worries about suntanning now with the lovely weather we're having (-30/-40 celcius!)
Old January 13th, 2009, 01:40 PM

If you put her in a sweater and a nose snood, that'd keep the sun off her skin, too!

Gak! That's cold! Our windchill is that far below zero, but at least the ambient temps aren't quite that bad!

Old February 11th, 2009, 05:24 PM

SuperWanda,

How is your dog's nose? Our husky just got one a few days ago so I am wondering if we should take him to the vet. It was small then gotten bigger and today it has gotten darker in color.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 06:05 PM

Sorry - I didn't see this question until today.

Her nose still looks the same. It doesn't seem to be getting any bigger and it is still the same pink color it was before. I am to keep an eye on it for now as the vet suggested. I see my vet again in the Spring for regular health check so she will have another opportunity to reassess.

How is your dog's lump? I think seeing your vet would be a good idea because there seems to be many different types of lumps and bumps and the vet will give you a better idea on what it might be and how to deal with it.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 04:00 PM

Update

I thought I would update this thread in case anyone was looking for information on a similar problem. I have attached a picture (not great) of the growth on her nose to date and have decided to have it removed.

It has been very slow growing and the vet thought it was probably benign (inconclusive biopsy results) but because it continues to grow and also bleeds every time she rolls around in the grass, we have decided to remove it tomorrow.

Shouldn't be too bad as it is still small (8mm) but it is at the tip of her nose and dog's have sensitive snouts. So, hopefully everything will go okay and it will heal quickly.
Attached Images

Old September 19th, 2010, 07:34 AM

Hi Superwanda, I went through a similar situation with our dog. The needle aspiration was also inconclusive .. so our vet suggested a biopsy .. which we did. Turns out it was not cancer, but we are currently treating it with antibiotics. With lumps and bumps you never know .. but am happy this time that it is turning out the way it has. I've posted a link to my post .. perhaps it's similar in nature. http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....lump+dogs+nose