Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 26th, 2004, 01:18 AM
banned user

Dog ate brownies...

My sister's dog ate a whole pan of brownies! This was almost a week ago and I'm not sure she knew about dogs and chocolate, she didn't do anything about it, but he is fine. He had the runs the first day but that was it.
I'm thinking it wasn't REAL chocolate maybe? How could he eat all that and be fine, I always heard chocolate can kill dogs. Anyone know the specifics?
He's a husky mix I believe. About 9 months old.
Old July 26th, 2004, 05:59 AM

You are right - not "real chocolate". It's the real natural chocolate that is bad for dogs, and not too much of what humans eat (brownies, milk chocolate, chocolate candy) has very much in it. If the dog were small there may have been a problem, but with a dog that size it would take a lot of brownies to do harm... the runs were likely more from the sugar than the chocolate.

My 80 lbs rottie once ate a whole box of macaroons, you know the ones you buy in the 500g box for $1... Rose was only 1 at the time and I called the vet in a panic (I knew little bits wouldn't hurt her, but I thought this amount was a a lot). After finding out the breed, size and age of my dog (she'd only been there once before so they didn't know her right off) and what she had eaten the vet assure me over the phone that she'd be fine - but he did warn me of the "sugar high". .. OMG you should have seen her bounce off the walls... her usual 30-60 min walk at the dog park usually wore her out - to the point I would almost have to carry her to the car, I stretched that out to 2.5 hrs at the dog park and she bounced out as fresh as she went in . but the sugar high was the only side effect. Now that she's older - she has gotten a hold of sugary thing again and never had the same effect... just a puppy sugar high I guess.
Old July 26th, 2004, 09:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Brownies are more like "chocolate flavored" unless they also contain chocolate chips and are frosted with thick fudgy frosting. They do contain a lot of oil and, if frosted, butter. OMG! I'm feeling this uncontrollable craving coming on!

I've read that baking chocolate (bitter) is worse than bitter-sweet, which is worse than milk chocolate. The percentage of actual chocolate is the determining factor.
Old July 26th, 2004, 02:33 PM
banned user

I remember the name began with a G, a brownie mix, and they did have chocolate chips on top. I remember that part specifically because my sister was pissed he ate them ALL and didn't leave any for her, she was describing them to everyone.
Old July 26th, 2004, 06:08 PM

Talking Lucky dog!

mmmmm,,,, brownies,,,,,,,lucky puppy.

just kidding , glad the dog is fine.
Laurie
Old July 26th, 2004, 11:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Just watch him closely in the future. She may have created a chocoholic!
Old July 27th, 2004, 06:20 PM
Senior Contributor

The runs might have been from the chocolate. I've heard of dogs having that after eating chocolate. And yes, watch him carefuly around chocolate so he doesn't get any more.
Old January 21st, 2008, 03:38 PM

Baker's Chocolate caution...

As others have discussed, there are some chocolates that are more mild than others. Baker’s chocolate is much stronger than regular milk chocolate. The smaller the dog the less chocolate it takes to have problems. Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth.

John M

Last edited by Blathach; January 21st, 2008 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Please no self promotion
Old January 21st, 2008, 03:41 PM

We had a little Sheltie when I was a kid that ate an entire box of Pot of Gold chocolates. She didn't even get the runs. That dog was a garbage disposal though...she got into everything at some point or another.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 01:01 PM

Thumbs down

I am ashamed to say, that our old Golden ate ALOT of chocolate before he was diagnosed with (unrelated!) cancer and therefore euthanized.

His worst chocolate episode was when we had bought a large, hollow chocolate easter bunny. We're talking, two or three foot tall chocolate bunny! There was from the knees down that we hadn't eaten ... and it was on the sideboard (where it had been for the last two weeks!) and one day Bud climbed up and ate the entire thing

This WAS an 80lb Golden Retriever, he must have been 3-years-old at the time .. bowels of steel I think ... the wost that would happen was the runs the following day ... and the gas ... ack!!

Happy to hear the OP's sisters dog is okay

<3 Owned by a very cute golden retriever; Kassie!! <3