Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old December 3rd, 2008, 02:35 PM

Smile Hey There!

Just found this forum, while searching for raw diets. It looks very informative. I've been having a problem with my older house princess. She appears to not like dry food. I've switched her a couple times and she just doesn't like it. The one she's on now is Orijen, but she doesn't like it tried a couple canned brands new balance and a few others but she's being very stuburn, so my next thing is raw.

I have 3 cats all rescues, and one very precious lab

My avatar "Saigo" is the youngest, I nick name her Brat Cat cuz she really can be hand full, she likes to keep the house lively!
Old December 3rd, 2008, 02:52 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Welcome to the board, Saigo! You'll get lots of info on diets for cats here--we have some very cat-savvy members! Not me, though...too many dogs here

Meanwhile, though, we're also going to start bugging you to post more pics of your kitties, so start picking out your favorite photos to share, k?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 3rd, 2008, 04:43 PM
Master of the Drool!

Hi and welcome!! Lots of kitty people here so someone should be able to help. Welcome and we needf pics
AHHHH They are a year old already!!!!
Old December 3rd, 2008, 04:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Welcome to the forum! Yes ,Pictures are a must! lol... I dont have a cat, therefor i dont know much about them, but you will meet ALOT of people on this forum that are like cat gods or something!
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 04:51 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Saigoo I feel your pain! I have 2 cats Tabitha & Bomber....I have tried for many years to switch to a canned diet rather than kibble and my female Tabitha refused all brands! and I mean all brands...I tried everything. Then a suggestion was made to try her on Dick Van Pattens Venison and Green Pea and as usual I thought no way! she will never like it...

I am please to tell you that she eats that brand only and she has been eating now for several months without hesitation! She LOVES it..They still both eat a minimal amount of kibble but by far they only eat a few pieces here and there! I still leave it for them because they were free fed for the ppast 12 yrs and they are so used to going to the bowl and munching if they like.

Maybe you could try this brand! My mom also feeds her cat this brand and he loves it too!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old December 3rd, 2008, 05:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum!

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old December 3rd, 2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat&Murph View Post
Welcome and we needf pics
Thank you for the warm welcome everyone! I will see what I can dig up for pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Then a suggestion was made to try her on Dick Van Pattens Venison and Green Pea and as usual I thought no way! she will never like it...

I am please to tell you that she eats that brand only and she has been eating now for several months without hesitation! She LOVES it..They still both eat a minimal amount of kibble but by far they only eat a few pieces here and there! I still leave it for them because they were free fed for the ppast 12 yrs and they are so used to going to the bowl and munching if they like.

Maybe you could try this brand! My mom also feeds her cat this brand and he loves it too!
I will have to have a look and see if I can find it. I haven't heard of that brand. The only thing she will eat is Friskes wet, I feed it as a treat but I know its not a quality brand so I'm trying to find something else, we've been through several Orijen is rated high but she just pukes it up,(along with all other dry) the other 2 are fine on it. I don't think raw is going to go over well with her
Old December 3rd, 2008, 06:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi Saigo, welcome aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saigo View Post
I've been having a problem with my older house princess. She appears to not like dry food.
She's one smart cookie then. Dry food is actually quite unhealthy for cats, so I'm happy to hear that you're considering more species-appropriate options. There's some good info on this site: http://www.catinfo.org/

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 3rd, 2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Hi Saigo, welcome aboard!

She's one smart cookie then. Dry food is actually quite unhealthy for cats, so I'm happy to hear that you're considering more species-appropriate options. There's some good info on this site: http://www.catinfo.org/
Hmm thanks for the link I will have a look, the other 2 prefer dry.

So this will be my 1st attempt at pics here

1st is Zoro
2nd why he is so special
3rd is Sara
Attached Images

Old December 3rd, 2008, 07:19 PM

And This is Baby Saigo In one of her mischievous moments, I mean who could deny those eyes
Attached Images

Old December 3rd, 2008, 07:38 PM
Master of the Drool!

Awsome Pics Saigo!!! you have beatiful babies!!!
Old December 3rd, 2008, 08:26 PM

Thank you! They are all very special! As you can see Zoro loves his ball lol! But even being a water dog when it rolls in the pond, he respects "our pond". He waits for the current to bring his ball to where he can get it! Now how smart is that! Sara is my love bug, and Saigo.......well she keeps us all entertained!
Old December 3rd, 2008, 09:03 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Aha! Saigo is going through her 'paper phase'. Our dog, Brier, is also enamored of toilet paper

Beautiful fur family you have there!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 4th, 2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Aha! Saigo is going through her 'paper phase'. Our dog, Brier, is also enamored of toilet paper

Beautiful fur family you have there!
Thank you! That is just one of Saigo's phases, she can't stand to see the house peaceful
Old December 4th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Master of the Drool!

One of my boys hunts down the Tp and drags it all over the house!!! Saigo and him would get along great!!!!
Old December 4th, 2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat&Murph View Post
One of my boys hunts down the Tp and drags it all over the house!!! Saigo and him would get along great!!!!
LOL! They would; I still thinks thats better then...............
Old December 6th, 2008, 07:54 PM

Hi and welcome from Zoe Melvin and I I am a new kitty mommy and I also tried Orijen ( my dogs love it ) but Princess Katie snubbed her little nose at it. so I tried Evo she loves it. Maybe your pet food store has samples. Feeding raw is awesome hope she likes it .
Old December 9th, 2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zomo View Post
Hi and welcome from Zoe Melvin and I I am a new kitty mommy and I also tried Orijen ( my dogs love it ) but Princess Katie snubbed her little nose at it. so I tried Evo she loves it. Maybe your pet food store has samples. Feeding raw is awesome hope she likes it .
I may need to look for Evo, our first attempt at raw did not go very well, the older ones would not go near it, saigo at least tried it, then spit it out and said What on earth are you trying to do to us.
Old December 10th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saigo View Post
I may need to look for Evo, our first attempt at raw did not go very well, the older ones would not go near it, saigo at least tried it, then spit it out and said What on earth are you trying to do to us.
Cats are naturally suspicious of new foods as a defense mechanism to avoid eating something toxic. The best way to transition to something they haven't had before is very slowly, and with repetition. Just place some tiny pieces of raw chicken breast next to their usual food and leave it there so they get used to the smell. Then try putting a piece in with their kibble. You can even sandwich some slivers of raw in between 2 nuggets of dry. Another trick is pulverizing the dry and sprinkling it on top of some raw to make it more familiar. Or mixing raw with an irresistible treat such as plain chicken baby food or tuna, until the cats get used to it. Then you can slowly increase the proportion of raw until they're mostly eating that.

It can take quite a while to make the switch, but it's soooo worth it if you persevere. There are tips here for transitioning kibble addicts to canned food, which can also be applied to raw: http://www.catinfo.org/#Transitionin...o_Canned_Food_

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 10th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Older kitties are notorious for being set in their ways and it is very difficult to get them to change.

I started Jasper on raw by putting a tinsy piece of raw on his favourite treat and hand fed it to him when he was really hungry. You know how it is with humans, they are more willing to try something when they are very hungry, I just applied the same logic to my cats.

Then I progressed to putting treats on a small pile of raw, now if he smells meat on the counter, he meows his fool head off until he gets some . When I observe my cats eating raw, they seemed to have more of an issue with the texture, than the taste .

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 17th, 2008, 05:50 AM

Sugarcatmom and love4himies thanks for the great tips and link.
Old December 18th, 2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
She's one smart cookie then. Dry food is actually quite unhealthy for cats,
Quote:
I can't tell you how much I appreciate that link I spent hours reading it last night. The Molly and Bennie story are quite amazing. My Hunter is Bennie to the "t" kibble junky and over weight. Six months ago I spent an hour and a half in one of the pet stores with an associate combing over the different brands of food, they convinced me that orijen was one of the best, so I switched. Well I'm so convinced now that he is going off kibble, the other two will eat canned but he doesn't care for it. This multiple cat house is hard. His kibble has been taken away again for good, he's whining pritty good but I know he will eat it if hungry enough.

We did have a break through last night with SaraShe ate some raw turkey so today I need to try and find some more in smaller quantity.