Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 24th, 2008, 03:41 PM

Panic re: Grapes

Hi everyone,
I'm in a bit of a panic right now. My 5 month old, 27 pound beagle/shepherd mix was in the yard by herself today when I noticed her munching on some grapes from our grapevine. She hadn't shown interest in it before but now that we have a bit of snow down it's easier for her to get to.

Before I go to far into the story I'll let you know that this story involves two vets. For clarity sake, I'll call them vet 1 and vet 2. Vet 1 is her original vet. We recently left that practice as we weren't happy with them. They have a gorgeous facility and great staff but everything seems to be an upsell. They quoted us $500-$600 to spay for exemple.

Vet 2 is a vet that friends of ours go to and they have a good reputation. We haven't done much there yet but have had Milly there a couple of times to get weighed and see the place before her spay.

So back to the story, I pulled her away from the grapes and called vet 2. There wasn't a vet available at the time so they took my number and called back a couple of hours later. They suggested I bring her in so that they could induce vomiting and give her charcoal. I had originally thought that she'd had about 25 grapes. On my way to the vet, I did a more thorough inspection. There was one sprig (is that the term?) that would have held 8 grapes. I'm guessing that is all she had but I can't be sure.

When we got to the vet I explained that it was likely only 8 grapes that she'd had, not the 25ish I had thought. The Dr. there said that she was likely ok and to just watch her for any changes, ie, no interest in food, or if she vomits.

While I was waiting for Vet 2 to call back I called Vet 1. I don't know why I called...for a second opinion I guess and because I really didn't know what to do while waiting for Vet 2. Anyway, the Dr. (from Vet 1) just called back and said to bring her over asap. I explained that it was likely only 8 grapes, not the higher amount I had thought. He said that even if it was only 2 grapes it was very dangerous. He recommended admitting her to the hospital right away and putting her on IV meds for 3 days while they monitor her kidneys (or is it liver?). He basically made me feel like our puppy would die if we didn't do the IV treatment right away.

Now I am here worried and afraid.

Have any of you had similar situations with grapes? If so, what did you do?

ps. that grapevine is going! i went and chopped every grape off the vine when we got home today!!
Old November 24th, 2008, 04:44 PM

Hi,

As for the grapes...my Shihpoo has eaten grapes before.
He was fine and went on as normal. I'm sure in a big amount...it wouldnt be a good idea. But Sam my shihpoo has had like 4 or 5 and nothing happened.
So i dont really think its a big worry.
Old November 24th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Senior Contributor

My lab eats grapes let's say not alot, but now and then. There's a lot of discussion over whether it's the seeds that are toxic or the grapes. I've always heard it was the seeds. My girl eats three or four grapes every now and then and has no problem whatsoever. I wouldn't overfeed her with them just to be safe, but I don't think a few will hurt. I wouldn't worry to much, I agree with vet #2. Just watch your pup for any changes or something of concern. I'm sure the pup will be fine. But it's a good plan to remove the offending fruit... Good luck.
Old November 24th, 2008, 05:06 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I wouldn't worry about it if the pup is not showing any signs of being sick. Next time you are in have a blood panel done if you are really concerned about possible dangers.
I have a 13 year old labx who has been eating grapes every year since she was a baby. Never in a huge amount. I think she just wants to get a taste. Probably in a season she eats 50ish. Never had a problem with her.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old November 24th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Senior Contributor

The problem with grape toxicity is that it's the kidneys that are affected, and damage to the kidneys may not show up in blood work right away. Here is a previous post from Dr. Lee on the issue: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....pes#post574038

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old November 24th, 2008, 10:42 PM

The small collie I used to puppysit ate grapes all the time, before we realized they were dangerous. He never had a problem.
I keep hydrogen peroxide in the house to induce vomiting if my doggie eats something nasty. I haven't tried it yet, but it's supposed to work. Might want to keep some on hand for any future emergencies.
Old November 24th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

My dogs have eaten grapes in the past many times, no problem. I love grapes and eat them all the time. I had a cat that loved them too, no problem.
It was only a few years ago I heard about grapes being harmful to pets that I stopped. No reason not to, caution is always for their interest and grapes are not needed in the diet.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Keep an eye on her. She may poop a lot, I know I do if I eat too many.
Old November 25th, 2008, 12:35 AM

I wouldn't be getting too frantic, unless you see any behavior changes. Just keep an eye on her.
When Koda was about a year old he knocked some Advil gel tabs from the counter and had a hay day. We didn't meant to leave them out but hubby was rushing me to the ER with my own medical issue so we weren't really thinking. Anyways, hubby took Koda to the ER while I was in the people ER and it cost about $300 to get his stomach pumped and some charcoal. He was fine.

He also got into some chocolate once, not much, but enough to make us worry. We called a vet (not ours at the time) and they said to bring him in and it would be $500 to induce the vomiting, plus a lot more for IV and to keep him for 2 days to keep an eye on him. Instead we used google and found out both Peroxide and basic table Salt work to induce vomiting. I didn't have peroxide so we used salt. Just 1/2 a teaspoon put on the very back of his tongue and he threw everything up in 2-3 mins.

When in doubt call a vet, but sometimes home remedies work too.

I'm very sure your furry friend will be ok
Old November 25th, 2008, 04:56 AM

thanks everyone for your input. it's been about 18 hours since she had the grapes and she's absolutely her normal self. no changes in pee or poo, no vomiting, no lack of interest in food, etc. so i think she'll be ok. she won't be getting at the grapes anymore though!!

she's getting spayed in a couple of weeks, so i think we'll get the optional bloodwork done, just to see if she is showing anything abnormal.

thanks again
Old November 25th, 2008, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milly View Post
thanks everyone for your input. it's been about 18 hours since she had the grapes and she's absolutely her normal self. no changes in pee or poo, no vomiting, no lack of interest in food, etc. so i think she'll be ok. she won't be getting at the grapes anymore though!!

she's getting spayed in a couple of weeks, so i think we'll get the optional bloodwork done, just to see if she is showing anything abnormal.

thanks again
You don't need to get an extra preventative blood panel done if she is going in for a spay because they will automatically do one.They would also call you right away if anything out of the ordinary showed up with the tests.
Old November 25th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Senior Contributor

That's a tough call. My understanding is that grapes are NOT harmful to all dogs, just as chocolate is not. And as peanuts are not harmful to all children. I too often gave my last Poochie-Girl grapes. I never saw any adverse effects. Even in advanced old age her kidney function was fine. I certainly won't give this pup grapes though.

Using the children and peanuts analogy I think we would all agree that it's a rare parent who would rush their child to hospital after consumption of their first ever peanuts. That's because peanut allergy in children is fairly rare. The vast majority of children can eat them.

Does anyone have data to share on the incidence of adverse reaction to grapes in dogs? I found this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grape_a...xicity_in_dogs but it doesn't seem to say how many dogs have the reaction, out of the general population, only how many once identified as having eaten grapes and taken to Vet then experienced toxic reactions. I guess part of the problem is, while it is likely safe to assume nearly all children eat peanuts or peanut butter and we can observe how many react, the same cannot be said of dogs because we have no idea how many are fed grapes.

Last edited by Longblades; November 25th, 2008 at 09:20 AM.
Old November 25th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Geek Club CEO

But it's not an allergy to grapes with dogs, is it? It's a matter of whether or not they're able to metabolize it, no?
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old November 25th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Allergy vs. metabolize? Yes, that's my understanding too. But the question is still relevant, don't you think? How many dogs in the population have this inability to metabolize grapes?
Old November 25th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Geek Club CEO

I dunno, it just seems that an allergy is more likely to be something random, or genetically predispositioned, whereas a metabolic thing is more likely to be common in the species (e.g., dogs are not given certain medications, such as acetominophen, for pain releif because they can't metabolize it...this is universally true). I'd rather not risk it, personally.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old November 25th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Ya wanna hear my conspiracy theory on grapes and dogs?

Since it's not know what the dogs are reacting to, it seems like a ton of people have fed their dogs grapes forever with little problem (I actually have some older books that suggest them as "healthy treats" for dogs), and in some cases dogs eat just a few grapes and become ill, while other eat and bunch and are fine.....

All these inconcistancies make me think it's actually the pesticides, rather than the fruit itself. But, that's just my wacky theory, and since I have no proof of this, I wouldn't feed my dogs grapes or raisins no matter how well washed or how organic they may be.
Old November 25th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Senior Contributor

I don't think that's wacky at all. Maybe the pesticide theory accounts for grapes being recommended in one highly regarded first edition of a raw/homecooked dog and cat diet book but removed from the next edition. I'm being deliberately vague here because, while I know which VEt's diet book grapes were in, I cannot at the moment find it referenced on the net. And I just borrowed the book myself, I don't have it.
Old November 25th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Senior Contributor

my late 15 yr old beagle use to eat grapes , and chocolate, we never had a problem with her, my labx steals a few now and then but as a rule I don't let her eat them, I think your pup will be just fine