Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 13th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

Odd scabbing on Calico

Last night I was giving Phoebe a good scratching, she is not the world's most cuddly cat and prefers just laying next to you and not being pet, but last night she was in my lap looking for a good itching.

So as I get rubbing my fingers find a lump of scabbing under her black hair, I move over to the orange hair and it's all scabby too. But nothing under the white hair. She is 90% white and there is nothing under that hair, but anywhere there is colour she has scabs.

What could this be??? Anyone have any ideas?

I called the vet this morning, she has an appointment for Tuesday. She is on flea treatment, so I highly doubt fleas...plus it's only under the coloured hair. I have no clue how long it has been like this.
3+ cats......Surround sound
Old November 13th, 2008, 03:50 PM
proud to be a cat slave

Where is her dark hair? Under her chin? If so, it could be a case of feline acne.

Jake - grey DSH (Aug '98) Alley - spazzy grey tabby (Aug '07)
Old November 13th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

it's on her back just above her bum, her tail and her face. It's flaky and really crusty, and when you scratch the scabbies off the skin is still raised up and red. It's all down her tail, and under the coloured hair on her back. Found a few crusty bumps on her face but I think those are battle scabs. But it is not under her white hair anywhere on her body.

I am going to call the vet tomorrow for a sooner appt. She started sneezing today and hasn't left the pillow. She did eat a bit.....but went right back to bed. So I would say in 24 hours she has been up for maybe an hour and a half.

why would the scabs only be under her coloured hair?? Here's a pic of her
Attached Images

Old November 14th, 2008, 12:19 AM

If the scabs are on her back along the line of the spine and on her tail under the black and orange spots - those are the easiest to reach chewing areas.

Has she been vaccinated recently or is this the time of year she usually gets vaccinated? Could be looking at an allergic reaction to the vaccines, that's what my cat has. Her itchies start around the neck area & during the healing time the itchies move down towards her tail. Once she is scabby around the tail they've completely disappeared and she's fine. So no more vaccines for my grrl.

Even on a flea preventative she could be allergic to fleas so just one bite would cause her to be itchy. Have you noticed any fleas on her or Zoe recently or has she had the itching & scabs in past years?

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying

Vindication ~ For all those pets who became sick or lost their lives from tainted pet food
Old November 14th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

Thanks growler. She isn't a big cleaner, never has been. When I first adopted her for the first two years she wouldn't even clean her own bum. She still doesn't cover her business in the litter box, and she lets the other cat do her grooming. She may lick a stray hair now and then but not too great in the cleanliness department. She isn't itching or scratching herself either just laying around on a pillow. But if you scratch her she leans into your hand like it is itchy.

Phoebe hasn't been vaccinated in awhile, she too has a horrible reaction to the shots, and if they have to give her any meds she needs to stay overnight at the vet's so they can monitor if she will have a reaction. The last two times she was on antibotics they almost killed her...she tends to be a very sensitive kitty.

I did just put on the flea treatment......think it was the 7th of Nov. Maybe she is having a reaction to that?? It's the same kind I always use....but who knows....maybe she is sensitive now to that too?? Should I give her a bath or is it too late? I use Advantage.

She has never been scabby before, seems she gets a URI every year. She usually gets a big canker sore or blister on her lip around this time of year, but it's been two years since she last had one. Vet said that it was hormonal. Could the skin reaction be that too??

She is still not that active, I called the vet and they are booked solid today but will call me if they have a cancellation or if they have some time at the end of the day. She is still eating and using the box......just sleeping lots.
Old November 14th, 2008, 11:17 PM

Hard to say whether hormonal or the flea treatment Could be either since like people they do change as they get older. The 'hormonal' URI might have been replaced by the itchies

If she's good having a bath you could give her one, at this point it will relieve some of the itchies & remove some healed scabs, but she would have to stay inside & away from doors & windows until completely dry. If she is not scratching herself constantly and it seems to be on it's way to clearing up she's probably okay without a bath.

I generally don't give baths any later than 1st week of Sept unless absolutely necessary - it's just too cold. I can use my blow dryer on my grrl to help get her warm & dry fast but that will not work for every cat, Duffy is used to getting a bath & the blow dryer so she's really good.

When was the last time she had full blood & urine work?

Vindication ~ For all those pets who became sick or lost their lives from tainted pet food
Old November 15th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

Bloodwork was two years ago....think it's a good idea to get it done on Tuesday when she goes in.

I have never bathed her before, I give her wipe downs once inawhile, the other cat keeps her nice and clean. She is a total indoor cat.

She perked up last night after supper, was running around chasing an empty toilet paper roll. And today she came down to eat as soon as the can was opened. She didn't sleep all through the night either, she was up causing mayhem for a bit......so at least her energy is back. She only sneezed once last night, but I did notice her eye is a bit dirty. Not goopy, but has some dried icky in the corner.

I was trying to get a good look at the scabs, the ones down lower on her back are crusty and won't come off, the ones up higher are flaky but the skin under is still raised and red. Her hair doesn look drab and dull, it is still nice and soft and clean feeling when you run your hand down it.

I don't know, this is a new one for me. And just to clear up the way I explained it last post is the bump in her mouth was what the vet said was hormonal, the URI she has had every year has been on going since the day I adopted her. She had a nasty one the first day she came home (12 years ago) took a long time to get rid of.

Thanks for your help Growler.
Old November 15th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Hmmm, just guessing here, but it sounds like feline miliary dermatitis (aka "scabby cat"). Causes are typically flea or food allergies, but here's some more info on that for you: http://www.peteducation.com/article....1+1332&aid=150

I also wonder if it's more along the lines of stud tail (which, despite the name, is not just limited to studs). It has to do with overactive sebaceous glands at the base of the tail which then create zits. This might also be related to her tendency to get facial cankers, which could be infected feline acne: http://www.fabcats.org/owners/skin/acne.html

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old November 15th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

Thanks Sugarcatmom.

The bump she gets is in her mouth, it's like a blister and grows up from her bottom gums up over her teeth. The one year she had it so bad it knocked a tooth out. It's not hard or soft, kinda inbetween and white in the middle, pink at the bottom. The vet said that was hormonal, she use to get it in the spring and fall. Vet said that it could be linked to when she normally would be in season (she is spayed, was when I adopted her) He said to only worry about it if it popped open. Luckily it never did, although it got big enough to seem that it would. She hasn't had one of those bumps in at least two years.

My other cat has feline acne, the scabs on Phoebes back don't look like that. They remind me of how a cold sore would look half way through it's cycle, but not pusy or wet. Just dried up and still attached and flaky around the edges. I still don't understand why it's only under the coloured hair and not the white hair.

I checked her, Amos and the dog for fleas....nothing. But it doesn't rule out that one may have bitten her.

I can't even say food allergy because she has been eating Precise since August with no problem. I have to change food now because stores in my area aren't carrying that food any longer, but I still have a two week supply of her normal cat food...so no change in food.

I am wondering (it's a long shot but still) the dog had a bacterial infection back in August from the beach. The vet didn't do any scrapings just prescribed antibotics (cephalexin). Everything has been washed many times since then but maybe something is still lingering somewhere from back then???

Amos is fine, the dog is fine.......Phoebe is scabby. Although in the info you provided, I noticed that it said hormonal for scabby cat. Maybe it's just a new way of presenting itself. No more bumps in the mouth....just bumps somewhere new. She isn't itching it at all, really doesn't seem to bother her unless you move the hair. The last inspection when I was messing in her hair she started chewing her feet, when I moved my hand she stopped but when I touched her back she chewed her feet again.

I wish Tuesday would hurry up and get here.
Old November 15th, 2008, 04:55 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Nothin' from me hon. Just lots of and for her upcoming vet visit.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old November 15th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

Thanks 14+, I hope it's just something simple.
Old November 18th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

Well the vet was going on the lines of dematitis untill he found three firm pea sized lumps, two on her right leg and one on her left flank. He took a skin scraping of the scabbing and made me an appt for Friday to do a biopsy. Do they really need to put her under to do this?? She's 12.......now I am all worried.

He didn't give her anything for right now. She is not itching, doesn't seem bothered at all by the yuckies on her back.

:sad:
Old November 19th, 2008, 01:56 AM

for Friday

Old November 19th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

, waiting is the hardest part when you are worried. Did your vet give any indication of what it might be?

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey