Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits > Breed bans - BSL - Pit Bull bans

Old September 19th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I can never forget this video.

I watched this video years ago, and I still can't get it out of my mind......it completely changed the way I viewed Pits and their owners, and I apologize for my past ignorance.

I am posting it again, in hopes that a few more minds are forever changed.

you have to listen to the song with it.

http://www.fivepixelmedia.com/sadreality_pitbulls.htm

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old September 19th, 2008, 11:28 AM

Wow most disturbing...I have never seen that!!! ty Happycats. I have to admit that I too fear the breed please do not jump all over me for saying that....I was also afraid of Dobermans be4 as well until I got to know my brother in-law and sister in-laws big suck Diago....It really is sad what damage media can cause. I know its not bad dog its bad owner....
Old September 19th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Geek Club CEO

Thanks for posting this. It's important to remember that not all pitbulls are bad dogs, and not all bad dogs are pitbulls. It all comes back to the dog's people.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old September 19th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Wonderful video and the music is so fitting. Thanks for posting.

All pitbulls who died at the hands of their abusive owners and Gov't BSL

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 19th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

The song goes so well with the video.

for all those who lost their lives at the hands of man, in the name of a sick twisted sport

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old September 27th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Senior Contributor

I want to send you my heartfelt gratitude Happycats,for posting this video. I have seen many "Pitbull" tribute videos, but this one is one of my favorites.

My heart breaks for "bully breeds" that are subject to man's cruelty.

If only more people understood how these dogs are conditioned to partake in the illegal sport of fighting. They are tortured, starved, beaten, isolated, and unloved.

If they aren't killed in the fighting ring, the owner will usually ensure a long and painful death for the losing dog.

Then there are those "Pits", that fall into the hands of those that want one simply for the status symbol. They fail to properly socialize, train and care for their dogs. These dogs too, are a victim of man's ignorance and cruelty.

I have seen first hand, the outcome of the level of cruelty these dogs have endured.

Pitbulls, like any breed, can show dog aggression. Human aggression is not acceptable in any breed, and for the most part, in my experiences, is due to lack of proper socialization and obiedience training.

It is unfortunate, that the media has chosen to "demonize" Bully Breeds, instead of demonizing those who have abused them or neglected their responsibilities as owners of such breeds.

For those that are afraid of the "Pitbull", I would just like to say that if you are basing your fear strictly by what you have heard via the media, I would like to inform you that in most cases claimed to be a Pitbull attack, the dog was either of mixed breed or wrongly classified or identified as a Pitbull. However, when such a "mistake" is made you will never hear the media apologize or retract their statements. The media has lumped all "Pits" together as vicious monsters and it simply isn't true, but it's easier to keep people afraid instead of reporting the facts and educate.

As the proud human of two beautiful loving APBT's, I will continue to educate and defend this wonderful breed.
And to those that participate in the abuse and neglect and in the disgusting sport of dog fighting, I firmly believe there is a special place in hell for people like you.
God Bless the Bully Breeds!

Today it's my breed, tomorrow it could be yours!

Last edited by Luvmypitgirls; September 27th, 2008 at 10:58 AM.
Old September 28th, 2008, 08:58 AM
chronically insane.

The image of the pitbull with it's stomach cut open laying dead on the road was taken in Camden NJ.

http://www.compassionforcamden.org/a...dincamden.html

I recognized it. It was taken by my friend at the shelters friend. She runs a group called Compassion for Camden where just a few people go into the heart of Camden NJ and rescue animals.

I am a volunteer for Camden County Animal Shelter which of course brings in strays from Camden. I have met some of the dogs used for fighting among other things.

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=7862466

That's just one example of the types of dogs CCAS handles. He didn't make it.

I've met dogs with cropped ears, cropped tails, and lots and lots of battle scars. People don't understand that PEOPLE MAKE THE DOGS BECOME MONSTERS. And those people are the REAL monsters.

The pitties brought into CCAS are lucky enough that the shelter is now run by caring and compassionate people who are willing to give them a second chance. Alot of them are euthanized still though. You can't always reverse the damage done.

I was at a CCAS event and was walking some little lab mix type dog. They had 2 pitbuls there that were abused and from Camden. My dog got a bit too close to one of the pitties and got snapped at. The sad truth is they will probably get put down, but atleast the shelter gave them a chance to know what it's like to be loved.

So I guess what I'm saying is even though I've always known it's the owners fault and everything, you can't save them all and it's really heartbreaking.

Pitbulls are so misunderstood.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old September 28th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Kathyrn, don't ya just hate it when these people do their own cropping, hacking the ears off with scissors or box cutters!
We had one come thru our rescue, where her owner did his own crop, basically cutting one ear right down to the scalp the other he cut square that stood straight up, he removed about half the ear on that side.

His arguement to animal control, "its a Pitbull, they feel no pain, and I couldn't afford to have it done by a professional."

And people call the dogs monsters.:sad:
Old September 28th, 2008, 01:53 PM
chronically insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmypitgirls View Post
Kathyrn, don't ya just hate it when these people do their own cropping, hacking the ears off with scissors or box cutters!
We had one come thru our rescue, where her owner did his own crop, basically cutting one ear right down to the scalp the other he cut square that stood straight up, he removed about half the ear on that side.

His arguement to animal control, "its a Pitbull, they feel no pain, and I couldn't afford to have it done by a professional."

And people call the dogs monsters.:sad:
I touched the ears on the one dog and it was so nasty feeling. The dogs were atleast people friendly, but scared of other dogs probably from being mauled more then once.

It's so sad :sad:

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old October 16th, 2008, 07:07 AM

I still have tears running down my face as I write this reply. Tears of sadness for the poor dogs that have been and are still being cruelly treated all in the name of "sport" or "entertainment". (I put both words in quotations as I don't believe dog fighting is either.)
Tears of hope and joy seeing the photos of what happy, well-adjusted and well loved pit bulls can be.
We had a pit bull growing up, and I'm remember seeing a picture of her a long while ago with her, the pet bunny between her legs and the family bird perched on her head, while all were sleeping.
I'm not sure someone ,that heaps so much abuse and indifference on another living soul, can be called Human.
Thank you so much Happycats, for the very touching video that will stay with me for quite a while. I hope others can learn from it as well.
Old November 6th, 2008, 10:16 AM

My baby is a pit bull mix (the other half is Labrador), I rescued him from an abandoned apartment, the owner (who happened to be related to my ex) was sent to jail for posession of firearm, cocaine and heroine. I don't know this guy too much, but my ex certainly did. He went to the apartment to clean up the mess (the Police turned the apartment upside down), we saw little Onyx, who at the time was 9 weeks, malnourished and was scaling 6 pounds. He was trapped under a table and a mattress for 5 days, his landlord didn't know about the guy even going to jail, nobody else knew he had a dog. My ex couldn't take him, so I did.

The majority of Montreal is a very nice place to live, but in every city we have those dark alley ways that send chills up your spine when you walk past them. When I was a teenager, I was a witness to dog fights, I guess you can say I chose the wrong friends. Looking back I feel like an idiot for not saying or doing anything.

But this is what gave me even more of a reason to rescue Onyx. 7 weeks after I took him in, he caught Parvo Virus, a $2000 treatment was needed... you think I hesitated to pay? Nope! 2 weeks after that, he suffered from Demodex due to his weak immune system... $500 for 5 medicinal baths... guess what? I paid.

A year has passed... and here I am typing in front of my screen, crying of joy, because I have saved one life, when many of you have saved so much. Thank you and God bless you all.
Old November 6th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Senior Contributor

So - sitting here at work and fighting back the lump in my throat. Thank you for the reminder.

Forgive our souls when it comes to our own judgement day.
Old November 6th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Master of the Drool!

It is awful what people do in the name of fun. Makes you realize how sick people can be. A pitbull comes and plays with my boys almost everyday and she is one of the most caring happy dogs I have ever met. But of Course being in Ontario she is muzzled. God Bless All of you who make a stand and fight for pitbulls!!!!!
AHHHH They are a year old already!!!!
Old November 6th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Watched this video again, makes me cry to see how cruel humans can be. We are suppose to be the animal with souls, but many do not have one.

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey