Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old October 7th, 2004, 10:29 AM

Wink What do you feed your dog?

Hi everyone:
I haven't posted since Aug. When my Wheaten Roxy was diagnosed with AIHA. Well we had to put her down, it was awful but I know she is in a better place, running and playing with friends.
We have since welcomed another Wheaten to our family, Scottie. He is a delight and I'm sure Roxy sent him. Since Roxy died of Cancer(AIHA secondary) we are concerned we feed Scottie right and have researched foods immensely! Our vet supported our research and suggested a few. We ended up putting him on Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice. He is doing well on this and his poops are certainly less than what breeder had him on (ProPlan-adult) and we also put him on only healthy treats. Natural Balance Duck and Carrot and DogsownPantry treats. He loves these treats apple/carrot no wheat.
Anyway I was wondering What do you feed your dog and what breed do you have? Has anyone found a healthy treat out there? Anyone have a Wheaten?
Thank you look forward for your responses!!
Old October 7th, 2004, 10:52 AM

I'm sorry for your loss, but happy for your new addition!

I'm feeding my little fusspot a combination of Fromm Duck and Potato and Fromm Whitefish and Potato.

For canned treats, she eats Dick van Patten's canned food with no chicken. I think it's Lamb and Rice. It looks like stew!

Packaged treats are Nutro Lamb and Rice sticks, Nutro Lamb cookies and homemade muffins.
Old October 7th, 2004, 11:05 AM
Shih Tzu Owner

We're currently feeding Ariel half Nutro Puppy Lamb and half Wellness puppy. We'll probably switch to all Wellness once the Nutro is all gone. Her poop is definitely a lot less than previous when we were feeding her IAMS.
Old October 7th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Senior Contributor

I feed my monster Kirkland Series Chicken and Rice and he loves northern Biscuits especially the turkey and cranberry how appropriate at thanksgiving. Kirkland is made by Diamond which is what I was feeding him but this is 25.00 less a bag you get it at costco and it comes in lamb and rice as well
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old October 7th, 2004, 11:50 AM
banned user

Sadness :-( on the loss of your dog.

We are feeding Nutro for older less active dogs, with weight control, & extra Glucosamine/Chondroitin, plus homemade stew with carrots, celery & root vegetables on the advice of our Vet./Homeopathic Vet. Roor ve. are supposed to help arthritis. The older (9yr.old) Akita gets suppliments of Yucca Root, White Willow Bark, cold pressed linseed oil, & codliver oil in the winter. All of this is for Arthritis. Molly the lab is still young, but get eaxtra Glus/Chond. in her food. We also give them a little cooked meat, fish, yoghurt, or eggs with their 2 daily meals.
Old October 7th, 2004, 11:57 AM

Glad to see this thread.
A while ago, I had asked you guys for advice on food. My toy poodle was on vegetarian kibble, but like you pretty much all said, seems to be allergic to other things but some meat (corn, etc).

I have tried her on Nutro Max Natural. It says chicken meal among some of the ingredients... is that a good brand food?

I couldn't get the duck/potato as they do not carry it here in Fredericton NB>

thanks again for all advice.

Elaine
Old October 7th, 2004, 12:47 PM

Yeh that was the same as us. Not sure what to feed. Well we really researched and the Wheatens have sensitive stomachs. Roxie(past) always vomited up anything different even milk bones, she didn't have the greatest coat but ok and her skin, nails were a little dry. But after all the research we realize that corn, wheat, soy products and by products, additives, preservatives are NOT good!! And we decided to start Scottie off on the right paw
The Natural Choice is Lamb(easy to digest) and Rice and the price isn't bad $39 for 33lb bag in our area(Windsor). And I figure the natural treats will supplement ie. vegies, flaxseed. The nice thing about the dogsownpantry treats is that they have variety for allergy prone dogs, ie. no wheat, soy, corn etc. I think they are based in Strathroy not sure but if interested just go to dogsownpantry.com prices aren't bad. And they even smell good to me
Old October 7th, 2004, 12:54 PM

oops sorry! GSD Diamond I was going to respond. Today I got coupons for the Nutro 10 bag frequent buyer and I saw the treats. So next I'll get some for Scottie. I didn't know they had them.
Thanks for the mention of Roxie we miss her like crazy!! She was mostly my dog and we were inseparable. I see her everywhere and was afraid at first to get a new pet so soon but he is GREAT!! We love him in a totally different way and he has helped me immensely through the sad times. Roxie will always be in my heart!! She was one of a kind like they all are I guess!!
Thanks Sue
Old October 7th, 2004, 01:18 PM

boy it's nice to hear of others feeding the Nutro. my vet was afraid it wouldn't be readily available but I found a pet shop in Lasalle who carries it.
Old October 7th, 2004, 01:31 PM

I hear you Sue

I feel much better about the Nutro. There is a great place here in Oromocto that sells all kinds of great food. They gave me samples to try... and because Brigid is so small, a sample bag lasts almost a week!

She is doing good so far (cross fingers and toes!!)

Thanks everyone for all your great advice!!

Elaine
Old October 7th, 2004, 01:47 PM

That's great Elaine!
Remember that it could take up to 6 wks to change foods!! Just make sure to introduce in small portions. I'm sure you already know this but even the food guides don't always tell you this and some say 10 to 14 days but you could see a loose stool and if you back off a bit, slow down the intro. to the new food. Than give a little more if the food is right than the stools will get better. WOW that sounds wierd after I read it But you'll know what I mean, Scottie had frequent (up to 6times a day ) but now 3 to 4 max. He is only 17.5wks old. It took about 4.5wks to complete the intro. but we also had started the treats in the middle. Have fun!
Sue
Old October 7th, 2004, 02:11 PM

Actually, Dr. Stanley Coren (from "Good Dog!") says not to bother with the "introduce new food slowly". The way he said it, let's see if I can remember it right:
"When we feel like eating Chinese food one day and Italian the next, we don't mix our foods. Neither should dogs have to. In the wild, a dog won't mix it's food gradually (one bite Wildebeast and one bite Wild Pig). It just digs in and eats what it wants."
That's not an exact quote, but it's pretty darn close.
Old October 7th, 2004, 02:16 PM

That's funny, GsdDiamond! And I'm glad Dr. Coren said that, because now I don't feel so bad for just switching food on my dog.
Old October 7th, 2004, 02:19 PM

Thanks!

Actually, what I did is put another bowl down with the new food, alongside with her regular food. I free feed her. Then after a few days, I take the old food away and she is left with the new one (which she eats and seems to like). She seems a little more energetic already... Brigid is a total couch potatoe!

thanks

PS: I did make sense of what you wrote!!
Old October 7th, 2004, 02:27 PM

Yeah. Dr. Coren cracks me up! He's such a funny man....and great with dogs too! Many's a trick I learned from him.
Old October 7th, 2004, 05:01 PM

Right now I feed raw food. I know it's not for everyone, but the kibble I used to have my oldest on was Solid Gold. I've also heard great things about Wellness, Innova (My kitties are on this right now), and Go Natural.
Old October 7th, 2004, 05:08 PM

Actually GSD I agree with you(or Dr. Coren) IF MY DOG WAS WILD!
and it also depends greatly on the breed/dog. As with us don't you think if you were always fed different each day you would be used to it but if not it would throw off your system? I suffer from Fibromyalgia and sometimes food bothers me and sometimes not. Anyway some people actually feed their pets different foods all the time and they are great with that because they are use to it. We would probably be better off feeding a homemade diet but I don't know about you guys but I don't have time!! Lots of pros and cons to all of this.
Thanks everyone for your response!
Sue
Old October 7th, 2004, 10:09 PM
banned user

I to feed my dogs Nutro, Large bred puppy. Blaze does well on it and loves it.
Old October 8th, 2004, 12:08 AM
Chocolate

heheheh, go dr. coren!!

I got mine on Nutrience... um the green bag from Super Pet ( ).

Old October 8th, 2004, 01:01 AM
Love all creatures

Wooo ouch...I don't wanna come off as a monster..but alot of those brands that were mentioned are grocery store found brands..probably not the wisest choice..I don't want to tell anyone what to do..but believe me or not..I've done quite a bit of research on dog food brands...and these are the ones you definately want to avoid due to poor protein source, over use of steroids/chemicals/hormones, high filler content such as corn and wheat (BAD!), high traces of sulphur, sugar being used as a preservative, etc...well..the list goes on. I don't recommend these brands:

IAMS
Eukaneuba
Nutro
Pedigree
Science Diet
Nutrience (I work at a pet store and we sell this one...its probably not as bad as the ones above, but it still needs alot of work before I put it on my "decent" food list).
Purina

Instead, I would recommend that some of you look into some holistic human grade brands...there are alot out there..and true, they may be a bit more expensive and not always easy to find..but its definately worth it for your dog's health in the long run. You'll see a difference in your dog's skin and coat condition... I feed my dogs Wellness, and tend to rotate between formulas (chicken vs fish vs lamb)...and of course, I make home cooked meals for my dog when I find the time and energy.

Anywho, back onto topic..GOOD BRANDS:
Timberwolf Organics
Wellness (by Old Mother Hubbard)
Wysong
Urban Wolf
Solid Gold
Eagle Pack Premium Ultra
Canidae (this is borderline between good food and decent)
Innova (same opinion as Canidae)
Performatrin Ultra
Old October 8th, 2004, 07:04 AM
Shih Tzu Owner

We've talked with the owner of our local Global Pet Foods and we were informed that unlike other grocery store brands, Nutro does not add in the entire corn. Instead, they actually separate the kernels from the cob. It was actually one of the brands that they recommend.
Old October 8th, 2004, 08:29 AM

I agree with Laura

I read the ingredients on the Nutro Natural and there is no corn or wheat.
As for Canidae, my dog will not touch it.
Attached Images

Old October 8th, 2004, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue fox
Actually GSD I agree with you(or Dr. Coren) IF MY DOG WAS WILD!
and it also depends greatly on the breed/dog. As with us don't you think if you were always fed different each day you would be used to it but if not it would throw off your system? I suffer from Fibromyalgia and sometimes food bothers me and sometimes not. Anyway some people actually feed their pets different foods all the time and they are great with that because they are use to it. We would probably be better off feeding a homemade diet but I don't know about you guys but I don't have time!! Lots of pros and cons to all of this.
Thanks everyone for your response!
Sue
I'm sorry to hear that you suffer from such a painful disease. Fibromyalgia, and the resulting irritable bowel & bladder problems that result from it (among other symptoms), isn't something I would wish on anybody, and could certainly affect what you're able or not able to eat/drink.

But illnesses affecting people and dogs can vary widely. While the domestic dog and wild dog eat different diets than one another, and there are certain restrictions placed on domestic dogs that aren't there for wild dogs (potty training and obedience ring to mind), that is basically the end of the differences, at least in my eyes. If you let a domestic dog to it's own devices in a home, with no training and discipline, you have a wild dog that lives in a house. If a wild dog, or a domestic dog for that matter, both eat a raw food diet consisting of beef, chicken, or lamb, the foods aren't mixed together for days (possibly weeks) until the dog is used to it. The same goes for canned/bagged food. Why mix them?

If you know of certain foods that your dog likes, mine likes Lamb/Rice, Whitefish/Potato, Duck/Potato, then why the mixing? I'm not saying you have to make homemade food. I certainly don't, and my dog is very happy & healthy. I don't mix her food when I change from one flavour to another. There's no need. The only reason I can see for doing something like that is to introduce food to a dog who's a bit fussy and doesn't like change. If someone has a dog like that, then you do whatever it takes to keep them eating. If your dog isn't fussy, then why bother?

I'm sorry if you don't like what I'm saying, but it's my opinion (and that of a respected pet Behaviourist/Psychologist). In the end, you have to do what's best for your pet. That's all that matters. Do what works!
Old October 8th, 2004, 08:59 AM

Just wanna clarify for pitbulliest. Nutrience and Nutro are not the same things. They are totally different dog foods. Nutrience, I have to agree is crap. Isn't it made by Petland or something like that? Nutro on the other hand, is good. I used to feed my kitty that, but switched her over to Go Natural.

Quote:
I also wanted to say that Nutro is not found in any grocery store around here. Only at Petco and our 2 feed stores.
Old October 8th, 2004, 09:04 AM
Senior Contributor

I usually do the slow switch but I have done a hard switch. Hard switch is when you fast your dog for 24 hours then start the new food. The stool is a little loose but in a couple of days back to normal. I find with giant breeds the slow switch takes way to long, and I end up having to buy a small bag of the old food. I agree with pitbulliest on most of those foods. Another great food is by Dick Van Patten I think it is called natural balance and Paul Newmans food but it is way too expensive. I agree Heelers rock I had Buddy on Solid Gold excellent food but it was too expensive at 55.00 for 30 pounds I go through 3 a month almost, also Buddy could clear a room with the gas and you know it is bad when a dog leaves the room.
Old October 8th, 2004, 09:14 AM

Yeah, I've heard of solid gold gas!! It wasn't the cost that stopped me though, although it is expensive. I talked to numerous people that feed raw, and heard of their amazing dogs that were doing so well on the stuff! I decided to take the plunge and try it out. Man, I have never seen my dogs so healthy, happy, and full of energy. They scarf down their food in 30 sec. or less, (I'm not even exaggerating) and just love every bite! It costs me $39.00 for 40lbs. every 3 weeks or so, but they're worth every penny! The day I can't feed myself is the day I put them back on kibble!
Old October 8th, 2004, 09:28 AM
Senior Contributor

I have heard and seen amazing results on raw I know a Bullmastiff that was at the vets monthly for bladder infections I'm not kidding. She has now lost weight has more energy than I have ever seen in her before. This is the thing that blew me away he stomach used to be black it is now pink like a puppys belly. I am sure that if I had the time and a freezer I would go for the raw or as a friend of mine is doing raw weekends and top quality natural kibble during the week(he has 2 neos) and he said he would love to do all the time but the cost is an issue for feeding these 2 big boys. I even see a big difference in their coats and energy level already and they have only been switched for 2 or 3 months.
Old October 8th, 2004, 10:14 AM
Chocolate

heelers, Nutrience is made by Hagen Pet Foods Inc. (I just checked the bag)

ingredients include: INGREDIENTS: Chicken meal, ground corn, brewers rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), dehydrated chicken, dried beet pulp, chicken flavor, dried egg product, lecithin, yeast culture, potassium chloride, salt, calcium carbonate, calcium propionate (preservative), lutein (0.08%), dried Saccharomyces cerevisiae fermentation extract, dried kelp, dried rosemary, dried thyme, dried oregano, dried fenugreek, dried fennel, dried cayenne, dried ginger, rosemary extract, dried corn fermentation soluble product, yucca schidigera extract, iron proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc methionine complex, zinc oxide, sodium selenite, vitamin E supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, folic acid, niacin, calcium pantothenate, vitamin A acetate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), calcium iodate, vitamin D3 supplement.

http://www.hagen.com/hagen/canada/en...updetails.html

as for your list, pitbulliest:

Timberwolf Organics
Wellness (by Old Mother Hubbard): I will not feed my dogs a vegetables based diet
Wysong
Urban Wolf
Solid Gold: heeler's likes it
Eagle Pack Premium Ultra
Canidae (this is borderline between good food and decent)
Innova (same opinion as Canidae)
Performatrin Ultra

can we narrow the list a bit (or adjust it) to fit the diet for my hyper pointers?

I'd appreciate the help.
Old October 8th, 2004, 10:28 AM
Senior Contributor

You know I would go with solid gold hundenflunken it is an excellent food and suprisingly Wysong regular not the natural has corn in it. I was very surprised when I read the label. Or Fromm naturals they are also excellent but harder to find and pricier than solid gold if I remember correctly. I personally have not tried Timber Wolf but the ingredients are excellent if I was going to switch that would be my choice. The only reason I suggest solid gold first is the availability of it but if you have access to all try the Timberwolf If you do please let us know how it is. You know that it will take a couple of months to really see any difference.
Old October 8th, 2004, 10:54 AM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Uh oh!! I feed my dog Pedigree Healthy Vitality. Should I really consider switching his food? I used to feed him Pro-Plan, but it was getting to costly so I switched to Pedigree. He has arthritis and gets a Hydrochloride Glucosamine(sodium free) pill twice a day (1500mg total). I tried him on Lamb and Rice Pro-Plan, but he had alot of gas! Sometimes price doesn't always mean a better dog food. He enjoys his food and eats 6 cups or less a day. My vet hasn't told me about switching to a better food and she WOULD tell me if she didn't think it was good for him. What do you all suggest??