Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 29th, 2008, 09:13 AM

Diarrhea and Cats

My stray cat was shot with a BB gun over two weeks ago, had a reconstructed small intestinal surgery performed, was on antibiotics and prednisone for two weeks and other oral prescriptions to fight infections. He was then constipated and we thought maybe a bowel obstruction was going on so last week he was given a barium enema with xrays. He did not have an obstruction and received his last antibiotic shot on Saturday. Now he has very runny diarrhea. Is it okay to give him rice mixed with cooked chicken, and if so, how much? He weighs about 7#. I have him on Meow Mix dry food since he does not like canned food. I hate to go back to the Vet as my bill so far has exceeded $1200.00.
Old October 29th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Senior Contributor

Your cat's gut will be feeling particularly raw at the moment, with all the slicing and dicing, so I think diarrhea is almost to be expected.
Chicken and white rice boiled together is good invalid food. Give him small amounts every couple of hours instead of large meals less frequently. I would stop feeding Meow Mix entirely. It has very little nutritional value and being dry, will irritate his stomach. Good quality canned food is better for him overall and way easier to digest. Try to find one that he likes and stick with that.
And don't worry if the diarrhea doesn't clear up right away, it may take awhile.
Old October 29th, 2008, 01:12 PM
~Cat Servent~

Oh your poor kitty! Who would do such a thing?! :sad: Badger, one of our cat gurus has already covered your questions and I second the throwing out of the Meow Mix in favour of a canned food (after every surgery my cats have had, I've always been told to feed canned for at least a couple weeks as it is easier for them to digest).

for your kittys recovery!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old October 29th, 2008, 01:22 PM

I am so sorry for your Kitty! How could someone do something like that! Probably some punk @ss kid trying to show off for his friends! ERRR

But I agree with the above posters about getting rid of the meow mix! Bad bad yucky food!! A better quality food will be much better! Also, antibiotics really upset tummys of everyone so that might be whats wrong too. ALSO an enema (spl?) might cause some runny poops...
Better Food, and close supervision is what I would advise. Make sure kitty is getting PLENTY of water too. Diarreah can cause dehydration pretty quick...

Hope all works out!
Mako - Black and white DLH Cat ( found at work one day )
Expression - National Show Horse - 12-15 yrs old.

"The best kisses come from my puppy "
"There are NO bad dogs, Just bad Owners "
BAN BSL!!!
Old October 29th, 2008, 07:59 PM

My cat, who has endured several medical problems this year, had diarrhea this fall. I got several very helpful responses when I posted a thread about this. In the end, I used slippery elm bark which I got from the health food store and made into a tea, and also probiotics to restore the intestinal flora. I also switched him to a grain-free dry-food diet, which took some time but he seems OK with it now. He simply would not eat enough canned food to meet his nutritional needs but he seems to like the EVO dry kibble quite well. I mixed it with his old favorites (Friskies and Fancy Feast) at first, then weaned him off those. For canned food, he gets a blend of Wellness - which he only eats off and on - and Friskies, which he loves although it's not as good for him. Here's a link to the thread. http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57203

Your poor kitty! It never ceases to amaze me what some people will do to an animal just to get some kind of perverse "kicks".

Brenda
Old October 31st, 2008, 07:52 PM

Faranya,
Thanks for the info for Bosca who weighs 8-/12#. My vet doesn't get into alternative health. How much slippery elm bark is used to make the tea and also which probiotics and how much did you give your cat? Which probioltic did you use and how much/day? I have him on chicken and rice with AD cat food (just a little) mixed with the rice and chicken. He does not like canned food; only dry. What is the grain-free-dry-food diet? I hate to go back to the vet as he probably will give him some more drugs that will make it worse. Am trying to resolve this myself and get Bosca back to his old self. Maria
Old October 31st, 2008, 07:58 PM

Badger,
Thanks for the info. Bosca only like dry food; doesn't particularly like the canned. Do you know of a good dry mix I can give him once his tummy settles down? I've tried Purina and the pet store recommened Iams. Don't know much about the nutritional aspect of these items as they all seem to state basics that all match in %. In canned food he will eat the AD from the Vet's office but not the ID which is suppose to be better for him. I've tried canned Friskies and Meo Mix which he snifs and walks away from. Maria
Old October 31st, 2008, 08:04 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

If you kitty has diarrhea you should not be feeding him dry food, kitties on dry food may be chronically dehydrated and if diarrhea is put into the mix, then more so. This is not good for their kidneys or bladder health.

A good grain free canned food is Wellness canned (some are not grainfree, look for the yellow triangle on the upper part of the label), and Nature's Variety Intinct.

Cats should be eating meat, not corn, check the labels of your cat food. and ask yourself if you have ever seen a cat in a corn field munching on corn or wheat?

As for the slippery elm bark, you can open the capsule and sprinkle a bit on his food. Also butternut squash baby food or canned pumpkin (not the pie filling though) will help with the diarrhea.

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey