Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old July 21st, 2004, 05:34 PM
Senior Contributor

canada questions??

now dont get annoyed, but i have a few Qs for you canadians, just interested in your world and social system.

1- do you have legal same sex marriages there and are they supported by govt in the form of superanuation access for partners etc????
2-what is your wage like there for woman- is it equal between men and woman (it isnt here)??
3- ok i have to know, dont fall over rolling your eyes- do you all speak french, or is it certain areas??
4-do you still have mounties and what do they do today, is it still the same role??
5- now i dont know if this is a racist term (have heard it used as insult i think) but what is a canuk??

thank you for not rolling your eyes too hard, i am just interested in what you guys are all about. many thanks again
Old July 21st, 2004, 05:54 PM

Mel - no offence taken!

In order of your questions, here are the answers:

1. Same sex marriage is legal in BC, Ontario and Quebec. The Supreme Court of Canada ruled that not allowing same sex marriage goes against the Charter and provinces were given a certain period of time in which to amend their marriage laws. Some have already done so while others are holding off. The federal government is dealing with draft legislation to make it legal across the country. As it stands, even before it was "legal" same sex spouses were allowed to claim as common law spouses for tax and pension purposes.

2. Technically, wages are supposed to be the same for men and women but the studies show that this is still not the case. Of course, many women face more home responsibility so their ability to perform overtime, etc is hindered plus they may be overlooked for promotions, etc over their male counterparts. What I do know is that in my profession (lawyer) women are now treated equally to men (yes, I make the same amount as that guy down the hall who was called at the same time as me )

3. Re speaking French - the Canadian government has an official policy of bilingualism and French is taught in all elementary schools and must be offered throughout all 12 grades. Do all of us speak it - no. Hey, let's face it, you only get out of subjects that you are required to take until grade 6 what you put in. Personally, I am very rusty but can stumble my way through a SIMPLE conversation. I do have friends that have worked at it and are fluent.

4. "Mounties" are really the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP for short) and they are the police force for most of the country that does not have city police. They actually have more powers than city police as they are federal agents and can act as customs and immigration officers.

5. A "canuck" is a slang term used for Canadians or, if you live in Vancouver like I do, a member of your beloved hockey team Go Canucks! Go! (if we have a season this year that is!!)

Michelle
Old July 21st, 2004, 05:55 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Mel you are wonderful

Yes we have same sex marriages in some provinces and infact our FIRST same sex divorce is now being brought forth to our courts. We'll see how that goes, constitution and legislation had yet to include divorce (duh)

Some would say equality is here but others would say not. There are a lot of higher paid male CEO's then female CEO's but then again there are more female CEO's and exec's then ever before. There still is unequality but hey, would we want to be like 'men'? (snickers) shhhh oh boy I'm gonna get it for that one LMAO

No we all do not speak french, however there are two of our provinces, Quebec and New Brunswick where french is spoken fluently. It is requirement in schools across the country to teach french up to I believe grade 9 now.
(which is first year of high school)

Mounties, RCMP are our Canadian National Police force. Which uphold the laws in many rural areas of our country just as any police force would. In addition, they provide security and investigations for Canada with relation to foreign threats against the country.

A Canuk is a Canadian plain an simple....no offence taken here...
Old July 21st, 2004, 06:06 PM
Senior Contributor

thanks so much michelle and luba booba. i have had these Qs for a while. i am becoming a little fascinated with you guys, interest sparked from talking to you all (never spoken to a canadian before this), i have watched a few docos recently and think you are all really lucky to live in such a beautiful place and now have my heart set on a holiday there, one day.
i have also been following the progress of 'Dragons Abrest' the dragon boat rowing team started in canada by a doctor don macenzie. iniatilly to observe the effects of rowing and other excersises on breast cancer sufferers. it is a group now for woman and families affected by brest cancer and the suvivors. they have just started making waves hear and they are wonderful, truly changing the lives of these people. they can be seen annually at the toronto dragon boat races, i will see them one day, i just want to stand on the shore screaming for these woman, what a bunch of toughies.
and now i am slowly falling for canada
Old July 21st, 2004, 09:44 PM
Senior Contributor

There is a really good show on TV where this guy travels across Canada and spotlights different areas as he goes. It's really quite good, but I can't remember what it is called!! You should do a google search on Canada, you can do virtual tours and things of all the different provinces in some sites!! I will see what I can pull up from my "school" stuff and pass it along!!
Canada is an absolutely beautiful country and SO very different from coast to coast! And we are such wonderful people!! LMAO
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)
Old July 22nd, 2004, 05:35 PM
Senior Contributor

just one more

ok, in this house we are currently arguing about your french connections. i thought the french invaded and colonised you guys ages ago, is that right?? are you part of the commonwealth (the priminister thing)?? if so how did that happen??
and lastly, hubby says many parts of canada speak french as a first language, and lower in BC and areas it is english and that all your signs there are written in both french and english?? if true, does everyone learn english as well???
thanks lovelies, canada is currently our dinner discussion this week. am looking for virtual tours, saw a travel show on canada the other day, wow lots of snow see me going swish, swish, swish, plop.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanie
thanks so much michelle and luba booba. i have had these Qs for a while. i am becoming a little fascinated with you guys, interest sparked from talking to you all (never spoken to a canadian before this), i have watched a few docos recently and think you are all really lucky to live in such a beautiful place and now have my heart set on a holiday there, one day.
i have also been following the progress of 'Dragons Abrest' the dragon boat rowing team started in canada by a doctor don macenzie. iniatilly to observe the effects of rowing and other excersises on breast cancer sufferers. it is a group now for woman and families affected by brest cancer and the suvivors. they have just started making waves hear and they are wonderful, truly changing the lives of these people. they can be seen annually at the toronto dragon boat races, i will see them one day, i just want to stand on the shore screaming for these woman, what a bunch of toughies.
and now i am slowly falling for canada
If you are going to visit, make sure you come to Vancouver, BC....THE best city in Canada IMO!!! We have the benefit of the mountains and the ocean within a stone throw of eachother. They don't call it beautiful British Columbia for nothing!
Old July 22nd, 2004, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanie
ok, in this house we are currently arguing about your french connections. i thought the french invaded and colonised you guys ages ago, is that right?? are you part of the commonwealth (the priminister thing)?? if so how did that happen??
and lastly, hubby says many parts of canada speak french as a first language, and lower in BC and areas it is english and that all your signs there are written in both french and english?? if true, does everyone learn english as well???
thanks lovelies, canada is currently our dinner discussion this week. am looking for virtual tours, saw a travel show on canada the other day, wow lots of snow see me going swish, swish, swish, plop.
There are heavily French speaking areas in Quebec (of course), but also in New Brunswick as well.

Most everywhere else, English is the first language....French is second. We are taught French (mandatory) in school up to grade 8, then 9 to 12 it is an elective.

In many parts of Quebec, signs are French first, English secondary. But this is only in Quebec (as far as I know....if someone elsk knows differently, let us know). We don't have signs anywhere else in both, until you come to the lower mainland in BC, where we have a large Asian population and many signs are in Chinese/English.

Thats all the info I can give.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 06:23 PM

Product packaging is bilingual but as far as signs go, the only time I have seen bilingual signs is in National Parks and at airports...
Old July 22nd, 2004, 06:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Mel,you are just a great Aussie girl
The other girls forgot to mention,we also have two legs a pair of arms and one head,just like you
Old July 22nd, 2004, 07:23 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

The female version of us have one head Anita
Old July 22nd, 2004, 07:33 PM
Senior Contributor

have to let hubby know you are normal gals like us (although some may have 2 heads it seems) , lol. and now im all prepared for dinner tonight, ha. thanks everyone, this is very informative. (and you are helping me win the discussion, yahhhoooo)
Old July 22nd, 2004, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luba
The female version of us have one head Anita
I actually LOLed at that!!!
Old July 22nd, 2004, 09:26 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

<<hides in corner knitting...completely innocent>>
Old July 22nd, 2004, 10:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Yeah sure,Luba
Old July 23rd, 2004, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luba
<<hides in corner knitting...completely innocent>>

Hmmm yeah....it's always the quiet ones hey?
Old July 23rd, 2004, 02:23 AM

"On the Road" is the name of the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corp) program that features different places in Canada.
Old July 23rd, 2004, 02:56 AM
Senior Contributor

oh yay. thank you freyja, i will look it up. and yes we all know it is the quiet ones oh miss luba
Old July 23rd, 2004, 10:54 AM
Chocolate

I don't think the colonization question was answered. so here goes...

from what I recall in grade school ( ), both french and english took parts of "canada" from the aboriginals. in the end, england won most of the country. however, since the beginning, the french colonies have remained (somewhat) strong in Quebec. often, Quebec feels/wants to be divided from the rest of the country (hence the referendums).
Old July 23rd, 2004, 12:30 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Hey I was only hiding in the corner because thats where the best 'red' light is for knitting!!
Old July 23rd, 2004, 12:44 PM

I am from Alberta, and there was NO French taught in my school until high school and even then you only took it if you wanted to...maybe we are strange...
Old July 23rd, 2004, 03:47 PM

Hi Melanie,
Just wanted to clarify a few things about us Canadians. Many American people that I have chatted with on line assume that we all live in igloos, get around on dog sleds, and have polar bears for pets.
In fact, here in Southern Ontario we are currently running up our hydro bill trying to cool off with air conditioning. We do have pools in backyards, and have some beautiful beaches to relax on. Humidity is a big issue around here, I don't know about you guys over in the west. Yesterday it was 28c with a humidex feeling more like 40c.
So depending what time of year you come for a visit, make sure to be choosy what you pack! EH!!!!
Old July 23rd, 2004, 04:51 PM
Senior Contributor

When I was growing up (in Alberta too Shan!! ) we took French from Grade 4 -9 mandatory, then it was an "option" in Gr. 10 -12. I grew up in a small town, so big cities might be different, and it also depends on the school board. Hardly anyone in Alberta speaks French, and I think the same goes for the rest of the western provinces. The closer to Quebec you get, the more French you hear and see on signs and stuff. Of course in Federal buildings and airports and such, it is mandatory for employees to be bilingual. Many schools are now offering Spanish as another language due to high immigration rates from Spanish speaking countries.

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
Old July 23rd, 2004, 06:19 PM
Senior Contributor

thanks mommy23 that just answered my next question. thank you all for my little eductational experience, i now feel like i know a bit more to put it all in perspective. yay canada
Old July 24th, 2004, 12:29 PM

Good friend of mine had some Southern US tourists who dropped by a dog park we were at to let their pooch roam for a bit convinced that in other areas of BC they have off leash areas specifically for those Canadians that have the traditional Canadian pet....a beaver. Very funny. He told them the truth eventually. That would be great seeing someone walking down the street with a beaver on a leash. Wonder if beaver poop would be hard to pick up.... So many questions. Mel, you'd love it here. I've run into lots of Aussie friends here as a friend of mine has a sister that married an Aussie lad and relatives and friends visit alot. They've all had great times when they visit.
Old July 24th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Beaver on a gentle leader
Old July 24th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm NOT even gonna go there!!! LMFAO

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
Old July 24th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Do beavers like nuts?
Attached Images

Old July 24th, 2004, 10:04 PM
Senior Contributor

My mind is racinggggg!!! ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
Old July 24th, 2004, 10:17 PM
Senior Contributor

You can't race in the gutter Catt! Ooo! Gutter ball!