Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old July 21st, 2004, 03:04 PM

Separation Barking/Howling

Please help... I have a one year old Standard Manchester Terrier. He's a wonderful, smart dog. However, when I leave in the morning to go to work, he begins to bark and howl. It doesn't last more than 20 seconds or so, and then he stops. (I don't know if he starts again throughout the day)

He is confined when I go to work. And I thought that this might be part of what is making him so upset. So I tried giving him more freedom, but he still howls and barks.

I have bought one of the UltraSonic Sound devices, that goes off when he barks or howls, but I truly think that he is howling back at it.

We had sent him to professional trainers for an inhouse, meaning at their residence, training. And they tried to use water to control his barking, and that didn't even work. They did manage to reduce the amount of time that he howls immensely, as it used to last 3 -5 minutes.

I'm fearful of getting the device that zaps him when he barks - as he's only 22 lbs, and I'm afraid it will hurt him.

I don't mind his happy barks - or he'll bark once when the doorbell rings; but this out of control barking, is just insane. I wouldn't be too worried about it, but we are moving into a new townhouse in just over a month, and I'm afraid our new neighbours won't be as understanding as our current neighbours.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old July 21st, 2004, 03:05 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

How long is he left alone for, hour wise?

And can u clarify what 'confined' means.
Old July 21st, 2004, 03:11 PM

Wow - You're quick

He's left alone for just under 9 hours ( I fell terrible leaving him, and his howling only makes me feel worse ).

He is currently in the bathroom during the day, with his crate and a chew toy. It's not a HUGE bathroom, but not small either.

The funny thing is, the reason we are moving is to give him a better daytime life. In our new townhouse he'll have access to the outside during the day, and a limited area inside.

Thanks!
Old July 21st, 2004, 03:20 PM
Senior Contributor

will you rnew home be closer to work so the dog can get our for a walk at lunch?
Do you close the bathroom door, I suspect you do. I would get a baby gate and leave the door open that might help a little, he might not feel so trapped.
Old July 21st, 2004, 03:25 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

The biggest thing you can do is get a dog walker in part way through the day.

He'll look fwd to his outings and be less anxious through the day.
Old July 21st, 2004, 03:26 PM

I have to shut the bathroom door. Ronin can clear a baby gate. They haven't contained him since he was 6 months, he can jump with the best of them.

I am working towards being able to work from home during the day. As I only get 30 minutes for lunch - and can't make it home, and back to work in time. The few times I have made it home, he's even more upset to see me, and then have me leave him again.
Old July 21st, 2004, 03:33 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Quote:
The biggest thing you can do is get a dog walker in part way through the day
Have you considered this?
Old July 21st, 2004, 03:38 PM

I have, and would love to do it.

I'm always concerned about the security of having someone have access to my home.

I have also considered some of the doggy daycares, but their daily rate are OUTRAGEOUS. I'd be working just to put my dog in daycare during the week.

I have had all sorts of suggestions from medication for separation anxiety, to the zapping collar. I'm just at wits end.

I would NEVER get rid of Ronin. I would rather move again.
Old July 21st, 2004, 03:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Don't go for the collar. That's just cruel. It's not his fault that he misses you hen you go to work! Is there a reason that he can't be free during the day?
Old July 21st, 2004, 03:52 PM

Ronin likes to eat my couch. And although he has numerous chew toys, my coach apparently tastes better.

Please don't get me wrong, I love my puppy to death. He's an awesome dog, when there are people around. He's not a very good dog, when there's no one around.
Old July 21st, 2004, 03:55 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

They have taller baby gates or you can get two and stack them if need be.

There are very reputable individuals and companies that do dog walking services.
Old July 21st, 2004, 03:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Been there too - still working through that. Our Briggs gets the place to herself during they day (4 - 5 hours while our shifts overlap) and it's amazing what angels they are when you're around... but then...oh boy!!! She can clear a baby gate like nothing, we've been lucky that it's small things she gets into, no couch yet...
Old July 21st, 2004, 04:05 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree a dog walker would be ideal look for a company that is bonded and insured that would probably make you feel better. Have you tried a citronella collar they work really well all they do is spray under the dogs chin when they bark they don't like the smell or getting sprayed and that usually works. It does not harm the dog in anyway. I have used one on one of my rescues that had severe seperation issues. He ate a queen size mattress a duvet and 4 down pillows in one afternoon. The collar worked wonders and after he realized what it did I replaced it with a small weight on the collar instead of the citronella and he still thought he was wearing the citronella collar and still didnt bark. You can rent one at pet valu to try it.
Old July 21st, 2004, 05:28 PM
Senior Contributor

What do you do when you leave the house? Is it a big deal, or just a good bye?
Old July 21st, 2004, 06:58 PM

Just GoodBye

I read somewhere that you shouldn't make a big deal of leaving or coming home. I try not to, I put him in his crate (with the door open), give him a cookie and say "I'll be back". I still get the same response.

I've tried ignoring him for 10 minutes after I come home and let him out. But he greets me with really upset barking, and sometimes I can't help but try to get him to quieten down.

I just don't know what to do with him - I love him to pieces, and it kills me to hear him so upset, he'll do a really low howl when I come home, as if to tell me how bad his day has been.
Old July 21st, 2004, 07:49 PM
Senior Contributor

I had a toy poodle that used to cry after we left. We wouldn't have known it except that the neighbors told us. We left the stereo on when we left and it solved the problem. Maybe because the house sounded normal and he didn't feel alone?
Old July 22nd, 2004, 12:11 AM
banned user

pets.ca has great tips on dog-howling:

http://www.pets.ca/pettips/tips-14.htm