Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 16th, 2008, 11:14 AM

Feline acne or ringworm ?

I think I have kittens with feline acne, it looks like the photo's in google, patches are on the face, mostly chin or near eye. I got the mother cat , white long hair, and she had kittens.. she did have a small spot develop above her eye, which I treated with antifungal cream and it cleared up before she had kittens... using the same cream and betadine on the kittens..
so if it is feline acne, it is not catchy right?
But I had a younger kitten from another mother cat get something on his face too... which makes me wonder.They had put their kittens together, so I had to separate them, do I treat them and virkon the area, throw out bedding. If the kittens do not respond to treatment I will take the worst one in to the vet. I worry that although I have never seen this ever before on any cats I have ever had, that the white cat brought this with her.
Kittens have dirty looking bumpy rough spots on their faces,mostly chin area, the hair gets brittle, and falls off, especially with me treating it... then skin looks better and hair should grow back in. The youngest kitten was not even eating from a dish yet, although may have nursed off the white cat, instead of his own.
Old October 17th, 2008, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess08 View Post
Kittens have dirty looking bumpy rough spots on their faces,mostly chin area, the hair gets brittle, and falls off
From that statement it sounds like feline acne the fur will grow back once the area has completely healed.

This link has info & pics of ringworm http://www.cat-world.com.au/Ringworm.htm and this link has info & pics of feline acne http://www.cats-and-facts.com/cat-acne.html

You can also contract ringworm from your pets & them from you.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying

Vindication ~ For all those pets who became sick or lost their lives from tainted pet food
Old November 13th, 2008, 04:13 PM

Turns out it was ringworm... mother cat I got was a carrier... so now would her kittens become carriers even if I cure the ringworm and they show no more signs?

When is it all gone? when no cats/ kittens have any scabs?
Old November 14th, 2008, 12:03 AM

Ringworm is a fungal infection that can be passed between cats, dogs and people. One is not a "carrier" of the infection if they are still passing on ringworm that means the infection were not treated completely. It can be harder to eradicate ringworm with multiple animals and people coming into contact with the infected, but you just need to be diligent and keep up with the vet prescribed treatment until there are 3 consecutive negative cultures taken at 2 week intervals

http://www.peteducation.com/article....1+2134&aid=223

http://www.fabcats.org/owners/skin/ringworm.html

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying

Vindication ~ For all those pets who became sick or lost their lives from tainted pet food