Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old November 3rd, 2008, 11:19 PM

RUDE Adolescent!!!

I have a 7-8 month old German Shepherd mix that I got about three months ago.

When I first adopted her she was AWFUL with other dogs - she would whine, bark, and sometimes even try to bite me when she saw one on the street. I've gotten her to almost completely stop that - I would walk away from the dogs when she fussed and made her sit before meeting them - and she will now ignore other dogs on the street when I say "leave it." However, she still exhibits very rude behavior with other dogs much of the time. For example, when she meets a new dog she tends to immediately jump on them - usually with her paws on their shoulders. She will also lick their faces like crazy and sometimes get a little too enthusiastic with the sniffing of their privates

Puppies her own age don't seem to mind this. However, a lot of adult dogs find it objectionable and they try to correct her by growling or snapping. Rather than taking the correction my dog will start barking or growling and this often starts a row between the dogs. I took her to the dog park once and it was a disaster - this whole sequence happened with two or three dogs and we eventually left because she couldn't interact properly with the adult dogs.

How can I teach her better manners? She was obviously not very well socialized when I got her and perhaps I can't do much about that. I'd like to know if there's anything that I can try though. She has proven very teachable and willing to please so far, so maybe there's hope.
Old November 3rd, 2008, 11:36 PM
Senior Contributor

awww I wouldnt say rude just not trained I think obdience training is in order for her to learn proper manners, group setting

Every puppy/dog is different & her mix sould be bringing out the excitment in her. Sounds like she is still in her puppy phase.

I think patience for her is in order.
Old November 3rd, 2008, 11:47 PM

She is actually doing really well with obedience - extremely reliable on sit and down, comes when called even from play most of the time, gives paw, "leaves it"... It took about a month for her to learn her boundaries but now that she knows them she's wonderful. She lays down and waits to be fed, automatically gets in her crate when she sees me getting ready to leave the house, stuff like that.

She even behaves very well in her group obedience class - focuses on me and ignores the other dogs most of the time unless they have a really good toy. She had to go through a whole puppy class to get to that point, but she's now very good. None of it seems to improve the way she greets other dogs though.

I understand "patience," but I am worried that she will begin to expect a fight every time she meets another dog, and then I'll have a real dog-aggressive dog on my hands. I want to prevent that by teaching her to respect other dogs' space.

She also constantly steals other dogs' toys during play and I am worried about resource guarding. She will get very pushy about trying to take the toys out of their mouths or make sure they don't touch her toys. No biting yet, but if another dog snaps she will escalate the situation rather than capitulating. In fact, I've never seen her display any submissive behavior with another dog no matter the other dog's age.

Can you see why I'm concerned about what this could turn into as she matures? An ounce of prevention, as they say...