Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old July 21st, 2004, 09:16 AM

Teaching dog to lay down

I was wondering the best way to teach a dog to lay down. Annie has mastered sit, so I figure its time to try something new....any suggestions?
Old July 21st, 2004, 09:37 AM
Senior Contributor

There are many different methods that people find effective, try and find the most comfortable for you and your dog - not one that puts you in a compromising postion that could lead to a bite.

The method that I found effective was taught to me by a lady that trains police dogs:

Step 1; Have the dog sit, hold his/her collar in your left hand and kneel beside the dog with one knee on the ground.

Step 2; Put your right arm under the dog's front legs, palm facing the dog.

Step 3; With a LITTLE pressure push dog on the dog with your left hand (at the collar) and tell the dog "DOWN". While placing slight pressure with your left hand swing the right arm away from the dog, sweeping its paws up from under it.

It's important that the sweeping motion with the right arm is followed through quick enough that the dog is unaware that they were placed in this position. Then praise like CRAZY!!!! (if it didn't work- get the dog in a sit postion and try again.)

Depending on the size of the breed, it may take more force to get the dog down - use at your discretion.

It's important to place yourself beside the dog, almost behind - DON'T GET IN HIS/HER FACE! This could lead to a bite situation. Hope that helps a little.

Like I said there are many methods to make this work, and others will provide you with what works best for them.. please remember to think about your safety and the safety of the dog!!
Old July 21st, 2004, 09:43 AM

I taught my poodle without any physical force whatsoever. He already knew how to sit, so I just made him sit and then held the "bait" on the floor where his head would if he wanted to eat it. And kept saying "Down." Worked like a charm. This was yesterday and today he'll do it if I just say "down" 50% of the time , and when he doesn't I just tap the floor to remind him and he goes down.
Old July 21st, 2004, 09:44 AM
Senior Contributor

What I have been doing is helping him lay down and while I am making him lay down keep saying lay down and when he does say good boy and ped him and give him a treat and just keep it up but the idea is to keep saying the same thing everytime you make him understand that everytime you say lay down that is what he is suppose to do. They learn fast so he will have no problem good luck!

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old July 21st, 2004, 10:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Moontamara has got it right,that is exactly how i taught my dog,he had it down in a day..
Old July 21st, 2004, 10:10 AM

If you just put the treat on the floor,wont the dog just stand up and move to get the treat instead of laying down? Or am I misunderstanding??
Old July 21st, 2004, 10:15 AM
Senior Contributor

They can, but you have to hold on to the treat and move it away if they get up to take it. Keep saying down, keep it somewhat close to him/her; they will eventually start to lie down in order to creep towards it - mostly out of confusion I think But they will get the hang of it. When they do go down to get the treat give it to them, and keep saying down. Praise them ALOT!!
Old July 21st, 2004, 12:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Moony, you and I know poodles are little performers. I taught Den-Den to lie down the same way, but did sometimes have to touch his back to remind him. My toy poodles "rolled over" like crazy. Sometimes I didn't give any command, they just wanted the treat so bad they would go through their routine on their own. Den-Den's a miniature, he hates to roll-over. I think it's easier for the small ones because they're already so low to the ground.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 12:23 AM

Yep, exactly Sammie, and for Casey it didn't take long at all.

Also, all the puppies I've known tend to lie down out of frustration after awhile anyway, if they don't understand what you're trying to do and you can make that work in your favour.

Glassglass, Casey's stopped doing it now, but because of the way I taught him for the first day and a half he looked like he was bowing (in an asian greeting sort of way) because he's put his head down so low and lied. Oh it was soooo cute! I don't know what tipped him off to the fact that he could keep his head up, but oh well! Poodles are hilarious!
Old July 22nd, 2004, 09:18 AM

After our walk last night, I used the "put the treat on the floor" training...Worked like a charm! I am a non believer no more! Within 15 minutes or so, she was lying down as soon as I said "down" and put the treat on the ground. I kept practicing with her every once in awhile throughout the night, and most of the time she will lay down without the treat on the floor. Sometimes she gets so excited that she forgets to "Sit" before laying down. I dont want her to forget "Sit" so we will work on that tonight. Just goes to show me that my dog is smarter than I give her credit for!!
Old July 22nd, 2004, 09:29 AM
Senior Contributor

That's excellent Shan!! Good work!
Old July 22nd, 2004, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan
After our walk last night, I used the "put the treat on the floor" training...Worked like a charm! I am a non believer no more! Within 15 minutes or so, she was lying down as soon as I said "down" and put the treat on the ground. I kept practicing with her every once in awhile throughout the night, and most of the time she will lay down without the treat on the floor. Sometimes she gets so excited that she forgets to "Sit" before laying down. I dont want her to forget "Sit" so we will work on that tonight. Just goes to show me that my dog is smarter than I give her credit for!!

Animals are soooo smart! Its all in repetition. I use only hand signals with my girls, have never had to touch them. When I say "down" they hit the floor. When I say "your head too" they will put their chins on the floor until I say OK. Then I give the hand signal to sit and they get a treat. It will never cease to amaze me how these animals learn.

I have had many fosters in our home and they have all learned to sit on command, no matter their age. All my animals also stop at the rug inside the door to have their feet wiped. Every dog owner should teach this, it saves the floors and carpet.

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls
Old July 22nd, 2004, 09:54 AM

Goldenmom - how did you teach them that?

How did you teach your girls to stop at the door? I would love to teach Annie that!
Old July 22nd, 2004, 09:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Briggs will stop and sit at the door when we come in too! It's the best one I think!!! Like Goldenmom said it's all repetition. Keep the lead on when you come in the door and tell them to sit. Praise - do this everytime and soon it becomes habit. Now I don't even need to have the lead on and she will stop on the mat. I also make her sit and wait whenever I open any door. It's cute
Old July 22nd, 2004, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan
How did you teach your girls to stop at the door? I would love to teach Annie that!

Have a mat at the door that they can relate to. This "mat" is also the one that we say "on your mat" when we are eating. They all lay there until supper is over.

Have them "sit" on the mat immediately when coming in. My girls know that when they "sit" on the mat when coming in, they get a treat. So hold off on the treat until you have wiped their paws. It certainly helps for them to sit while doing it, but even if they will only stand for the time being, still wipe them. Even if they aren't dirty or wet, still pretend to wipe. You won't be sorry in the winter! Again, consistancy is the key.... Each and everytime, "sit, wipe, treat"

Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Heather
Old July 22nd, 2004, 10:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Den-Den's a miniature, he hates to roll-over.
Really? My dog loves to roll over, and he is a miniature X.

There is a variety of different ways to teach a dog "down" I give my students three choices:

"Sit" and then gently pulling the legs forward while saying "down." I used this on my dog, and it worked really well.

Then there is the baiting one like you were discussing.

And then for the very tough dogs who don't respond to any of these methods, there is the "foot down." I wouldn't use it on any young puppies, but this is helpful for the down stay, where they get up. It is also helpful for teaching dogs the "down" command when they always get up. Place the dog in the down position with a treat or with sliding the legs out. Quickly step on the leash with one foot, keeping it loose. The dog can not get up now.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 01:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Den-Den will yawn on command, bow (front legs stretched out) and stretch (front legs, then back legs). People are amazed when I look down at him patiently waiting for us to finish our conversation and ask him, "Den-Den, are you bored?" and he responds with a big yawn. Cracks them up every time and makes for an easy exit.
Old July 24th, 2004, 11:51 AM
Senior Contributor

LOL! That must be funny. I'm going to try teaching Bentley "dead dog." I heard a story of a person congratulating a person who had just became a cop and the owner said "fido, would you rather be a cop or a dead dog?" and the dog fell onto his side and acted dead. I think this would be fun!