Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 11th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Jasper was at the vet

Not sure if I talked too much about Jasper lately, but he has sprayed three times in the house, no blood. He hasn't had any increased thirst and has been eating well, so I didn't think it was too much of an emergency, until this week, he was licking at his bum and Puddles and Sweet Pea have been sniffing at his bum and he has been very cranky about it, which is not his normal personality .

Well I was wrong He had severely infected anal glands :sad: Vet expressed them what a smell, and there was a lot of pus He is now on Clavamox. Recheck in 4 weeks to make sure they are not full again. The vet will include an anal gland check with his annual exam from now on.

Poor Jasper, I hope he forgives me.:sad:

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 11th, 2008, 09:38 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

L4H. I am sure Jasper will/already has forgiven you. You knew something was wrong and took him in. That's the main thing. So many would not and would probably get rid of the cat for peeing. You have had so much going on with Malcolm and Matilda. Don't blame yourself.

I hope Jasper feels better soon. You can NEVER talk to much about your babies!!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 11th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Thanks 14+, the guilt of knowing precious Jasper has been in pain is overwhelming. Of course that means extra spoiling for him. He will get anything he wants. Cooking turkey today so he will get some special treats

His kidneys are in great shape, but his lym and mon are high (not sure what they are but know they have something to do with infections). Vet thought virus, but when he check his glands he thinks it may be the infection. So bloodwork in 4 weeks and if his glands are better, but his counts still high, he thinks it may be herpes. Makes sense, since I have very strong suspicions that Matilda and Malcolm have herpes. Of course I couldn't talk to the Gan HS vet so I didn't have a chance to discuss this with him.

Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 11th, 2008, 10:15 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

If the kittens have that will it affect their chances for adoption? I don't know enough about the virus. Thankfully I have been lucky enough to avoid it so far.
I still get steamed when I think of the way you were treated by that woman!
Jasper will love his extra treats!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 11th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I never even connected the anal gland problem with the spraying till I read this thread! At least you know what was probably causing the spraying now--and I'm sure Jasper is feeling much better.

for kicking that nasty infection quickly and getting back to the business of being Mr Sweetness.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 11th, 2008, 07:47 PM
-

Wow , sounds just like what Chloe has but the other way around (hes bum is uncomfortable and she has a UTI , she's on Clavamox too)

speedy recovery Jasper !
Old October 11th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm so sorry to hear about Jasper, but hopefully he will be feeling much much better soon.

Debbie
Old October 11th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Live well, laugh often

Hugs and snuggles for poor Jasper.

Old October 11th, 2008, 09:14 PM
~Cat Servent~

Poor Jasper... and your poor nose! I hope the clavamox helps and he's good as new real soon!

Now I have a question hope you don't mind.... I noticed that Fagan has sort of a butt routine, it gets sort of popped out when he needs to go, and quite stinky, then after he goes it goes back to being very small (this grosses me out, so I'm not sure i'll be graphic enough), now the glands on either side seem to also pop out and sometimes, not always, only one side goes down and one stays slightly swollen for a day or so, would that be a gland needing to be expressed? I haven't noticed anything like this with the other cats (their bums look the same all the time... no puffing and un-puffing that I can detect anyhow, Fagan's is kind of easy to see, and in my face a little too often). I don't really fully understand what the glands do yet. Like do they fill up and express every time they eliminate? And if they don't seem uncomfortable, and the puffiness goes away after a day or so, should I worry at all about having them expressed? I will ask next time we're at the vets to have them take a look, I've been meaning to for a while but always seem to forget.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old October 12th, 2008, 06:23 PM

poor Jasper get better soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdahmer View Post
Now I have a question hope you don't mind.... I noticed that Fagan has sort of a butt routine, it gets sort of popped out when he needs to go, and quite stinky, then after he goes it goes back to being very small
The popping out could be that he really has to go or he could be a wee bit constipated or that it's just a little hard to go. The stinkyness is either food/digestion related or it's the anal glands expressing themselves. When the glands are manually expressed is a really gross sorta fishy smell . It going small again is normal - he's got no poop left in there.

Quote:
now the glands on either side seem to also pop out and sometimes, not always, only one side goes down and one stays slightly swollen for a day or so, would that be a gland needing to be expressed?
Could be the pressure on the glands from his needing to poop. Is it always one side over the other (example: always left one)? Here's where you get to pay evern more attention to Fagan's butt Could be the swollen one is the one has a smaller than normal hole so it is alittle harder to express it hence the swelling. It could also be that one was just expressed & takes a day or two to go back to normal (like if you pop a pimple the swelling still takes a little while to go away).

Quote:
I don't really fully understand what the glands do yet. Like do they fill up and express every time they eliminate? And if they don't seem uncomfortable, and the puffiness goes away after a day or so, should I worry at all about having them expressed? I will ask next time we're at the vets to have them take a look, I've been meaning to for a while but always seem to forget.
The glands collect toxins and other waste type material from the body for expelling. It also works as a territorial scent marker - especially for dogs - who don't bury their poop. Yes the glands fill & express constantly, they are not necessarily full everytime and if the poop is soft they won't express cuz the normal-hard poop is what pushes against the gland to express them. Most cats & dogs go through their whole lives without needing a manual expression, but there are some who end up w/a blockage and then it needs to be done regularily. If an animal has consistently soft poop or a structurally small hole in the gland, if they have difficulty pooping or an infection in that area (UTI) they are more prone to infected anal glands.

The next time the cats go in just ask the vet if the glands need to be expressed, if they say yes hold your breath & do not stand on the butt side of the cat unless you want to learn how to do it yourself.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying

Vindication ~ For all those pets who became sick or lost their lives from tainted pet food
Old October 12th, 2008, 06:35 PM
-

Awww....poor sweet Uncle Jasper. :sad:

I hope he is on the road to a speedy recovery.
Old October 13th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Well Jasper seems to be getting back to normal. I can't see his bum because he has medium length fur. His poops have always been very stinky no matter what food he has been on, so I have never thought anything of it.

Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old October 13th, 2008, 07:53 PM

Glad to hear Jasper is doing much better & a for the boy

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying

Vindication ~ For all those pets who became sick or lost their lives from tainted pet food
Old October 13th, 2008, 11:51 PM
~Cat Servent~

Glad to hear also that Jasper is feeling better! Such a big sweet kitty!

And thanks Growler for all the info.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old October 14th, 2008, 12:50 AM
-

Woo Hoo.......glad Uncle Jasper is feeling much better.
Old November 7th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Jasper had his recheck today. His anal glands were clear but the vet thought there was plugs starting again on them, so he showed me how to check for plugs and to bring him in if I see them starting to form again . His bloodwork is clean!

Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old November 7th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Aww sweet,sweet Jasper,does it hurt when the vet expresses the glands???
Chico for several years has this white liquid coming from the top part of his anus,at first it's white then it turns brown and dries up like a raisin,both my vets,the old one and the new one,says it's nothing,but it's got to be something.
When the "raisin"is taken off,the upper part of his anus looks pink and sore..:sad:
Glands are on the sides,right
Old November 7th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Rottie owner and lover

It does not hurt to have them expressed, when Harley was always soft, he went in every 2 weeks to have them done because of not doing it on its own.
Just VERY smelly
Old November 7th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Aww sweet,sweet Jasper,does it hurt when the vet expresses the glands???
Chico for several years has this white liquid coming from the top part of his anus,at first it's white then it turns brown and dries up like a raisin,both my vets,the old one and the new one,says it's nothing,but it's got to be something.
When the "raisin"is taken off,the upper part of his anus looks pink and sore..:sad:
Glands are on the sides,right
Jasper was in pain when the vet expressed him. The vet asked me to come back so I could pat his head and he could see me while they did it. Poor guy, he is such a trooper and behaves so well for the vet. The vet just loves him. Jasper got extra treats when he got home .

The fluid from the anal glands should be clear, if it is white, then I thought it was infected , that is what the vet told me. The plugs actually form from the start and go inward, not outward, or Jaspers were like that anyway. Guess it is like a clogged skin pore.

Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old November 7th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottielover View Post
It does not hurt to have them expressed, when Harley was always soft, he went in every 2 weeks to have them done because of not doing it on its own.
Just VERY smelly
Every two weeks. Jasper had his done 4 weeks ago and they were just starting to get plugged again. I will watch them and take him in.

Is there anything we can do to prevent it?

Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old November 7th, 2008, 11:46 PM
-

Maybe extra fibre in his diet might help.....like adding some pumpkin or baby food squash to his food.