Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 4th, 2004, 11:48 AM

Dry Heaving 9yr old cat

My 9 year old cat has been making an awful noise the past few days. 3 weeks ago he had un-contolable sneezing that didn't stop till a few days ago when he started this mix between a sneeze and a vomiting noise. I dont know why he is doing this, or how to make him stop. He is not vomiting anything, and his eating habits are still fine. What is he doing?
Thanks for any help. Tannis
Old August 4th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Maybe he has hairballs.Call your vet and see if they might have an idea.
Old August 4th, 2004, 11:53 AM
Senior Contributor

The quote bleow is from another thread about similar symptoms. It's very important that you have your pet examined, please visit your vet!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shea
I am so so sorry to hear of your loss. You could have had a post mortem performed to pinpoint the cause of death more accurately but what you describe could be virtually ANYTHING. Cats are very clean animals and the problem with being so clean is that they create hairballs. Well, you must give your kitty hairball treatment as a general rule if they tend to dispurse of them frequently. I do it regardless because what can eventually happen is that, if they are unable to vomit up the hairball, they can obstruct and this can often cause death in cats. I've seen many cats die of hairball obstruction. We had to perform surgery once on this little kitty.....it was one huge mass inside her! We thought got to her in time but she passed that evening. So, that is one possibility. Could she have gotten into something? Something toxic? (cleansers,rat poison,etc,etc) It could have been something intestinal. May have been heart, kidneys,etc,etc. I am sorry but trying to figure it out is a lost battle, unless you had a post mortem done to narrow it down for you. Again, my sympathies.....