Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old October 9th, 2008, 08:57 PM

Anyone know where to find a behaviorist?

I am in desperate need, my cat won't stop spraying. He has been fixed 5 years ago. He just started a couple of months ago. He marks his territory, I clean and he marks the same spot again. I have had him check out and put on some meds.. spraying went down but he still sprays. He is on new meds but spraying has been more often. I don't know what to do, he sprays at all the windows in the house. I can't block him from from the window, unless i keep him in the bathroom 24/7.
I have tried Feliway spray and he doesn't care for it. I cleaned with pheromone solution and enzyme remover. He is still spraying...I can't continue like this I love this cat so much have 3 litters for him and my second cat, that I got 1 year before he started spraying. I have tried tricks, bowl of food right under where he sprays, he sprays right next to it... I am desperate, looking for someone in the west island, husdon area that might be able to see my cats behavior and give me any more tricks I can try with him...

Please Help!!!!
Old October 9th, 2008, 09:16 PM
-

I think there's one in St-Lazare for dogs , not sure if he does cats .... LuckyPenny would be the one to answer your question.
Old October 9th, 2008, 09:34 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Have you had him tested for a UTI?
Have there been any changes lately? Besides your lost cat. Sounds like this was happening before the cat disappeared.
Is your other cat fixed or still intact? If not fixed, the cat may be picking up vibes/heat from it. From what you have written you said you have had three litters from him? A cat who has been allowed to copulate is more apt to spray.
Have you tried Feliway diffusers? The plug in, not the spray.
Have you changed the location of his litter box or the type of litter you use?
Does he need a bigger litter box?
Are you using a good cleaner? One he can no longer still smell himself after you clean? One like Nature's Miracle available at pet stores?
Are there stray cats hanging around outside upsetting him? On "his" territory.
Have you had a full blood panel run (sugarcatmom can explain more about this) to see if there is possibly some other hidden problem?

As you can see there are many, many reasons why a cat sprays.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Last edited by 14+kitties; October 10th, 2008 at 06:47 AM.
Old October 9th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi

If he is spraying the windows he might be seeing a stray cat outside...put paper along the bottom of the window so he can't see any cats outside.

Pam Johnson Bennett is a cat behaviorlist and has a website. she also wrote a book called Think Like a Cat.
Old October 9th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Senior Contributor

You might find some of the info at this link useful: http://www.hdw-inc.com/litterbox.htm

I'm assuming that when you had him checked out, it included a blood and urine work-up and that was all normal. What is the med that he's on? The fact that he's spraying on the windows makes me think he's reacting to something outside, like another cat perhaps. Even neutered cats can be highly territorial. Is there any way you can cover the lower parts of your windows for a while to see if that makes a difference? You can get some sheets of white tissue paper and tape them to the window so that he can't see out but it still lets light in.

Quote:
When dealing with a cat who is spraying or marking by urine, and you've ruled out any medical reason for this behavior, your next step is to try to figure out the cause of the behavior. Stress is one of the leading causes for naturally fastidiously clean cats to start marking or spraying with their urine. By marking their home/territory with their own scent, this creates a sense of comfort and security to the cat. Some very common causes of stress for a cat may include smelling or seeing outdoor animals such as other visiting cats, or even birds, skunks, squirrels, dogs, or any other outdoor and/or unfamiliar animals. Moving to a new house, or changes with the home such as redecorating, home renovations or construction, the addition or loss of new family members (including babies and other pets) - even changes in your work schedule or daily habits can all be extremely stressful to a cat. Felines like their world to be very consistent, and changes within their world may cause them to feel their territory is being challenged or is in jeopardy.
Quote:
If you have a cat that is already fixed yet is still spraying, this may be a sign of the cat feeling overcrowded (especially in a multi-cat home), and/or having an aggressive behavior towards other cats. Even if all your cats seemingly get along well together, it is important to remember that spraying and marking are done very deliberately by cats, and ALWAYS for a very specific reason - they are trying to communicate that something is wrong (from THEIR perspective).

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old October 9th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra_Queen View Post
If he is spraying the windows he might be seeing a stray cat outside...put paper along the bottom of the window so he can't see any cats outside.
Great minds.....!

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old October 9th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi

I sent u a couple of PM's.

Debbie
Old October 9th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Catlover2

It sounds to me that there's something outsideyour home that upsets him....a cat who makes his rounds who's sprayed outside, or a cat he sees on your property. That's the usual thing that sets off this kind of behaviour. Sounds like you've done all the right things.
I was a longtime breeder and I did have a stud cat once that sprayed everywhere and everything! OK, crazy idea here....get one of those diaper thingies used for bitches in heat (smallest size) & put in a panty liner or toilet paper. It was the only way I was able to let my stud have some freedom in the house, otherwise he had to be in a cage lined with newspapers. He sprayed with his "diaper" on but at least it wasn't all over the place. He probably won't like wearing it at first, and it may change his mind about spraying. Desparate measures need desparate solutions! Another thing you might try that I used to do, is get a harness and let him walk around the perimeter of your property especially. That's what I used to do with my studs and most of them were happy with squirting wherever they wanted outside, and didn't do it inside----and it may deter other cats from coming on your property. Let us know if you find something that works. This spraying behaviour is the #1 reason cats get put down. Most people just get to their wit's end and can't cope any more with it.
Old October 11th, 2008, 08:53 AM

Unhappy

Thank you for all your tips.. Both cats are fixed, and he has ben checked by the vet. So far we have tried 2 meds on him, first one was: Amitriptyline, started @ 5mg then 10mg..spraying decreased but was still spraying a couple of times during the week. So after 2 months,the vet wanted to try a new drug called Novo-Buspirone @ 5mg. We got worse spraying daily and at more spots. I bought a blacklight and at night I check where he sprayed and clean it.. I clean with an enzyme cleaner , but he still goes to the same place. So I called the vet to tell him he wasn't getting better. So yesterday he gave me something new called Clomicalm 5mg. I hope this works. I have tried everything, I have 3 litter boxes which I clean all the time. He is not crazy about toys.. Has anybody tried these meds on there cats?
I had a normal cat for all these years and now I don't know what. I don't know if I will get my old cat back..Is it possible to have a cat on these meds all his life?
Also I read that listerine and water were good to clean urine, has anyone tried this?
Old October 11th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Catlover2

I'm not against drugs, but think other things should be tried first as drugs often have physical effects on the body that turn out to be very expensive vet bills in the long run. You might be interested in reading some responses to this drug--success in some instances & not in others.
http://www.zootoo.com/cats_medicatio...forcatspraying
Old October 11th, 2008, 12:07 PM

Thank you for the link.
This is so far what I have tried with my cat:
I have add an extra litter box so we have 3 in total.
The spot where he sprays, I have put a small bowl of food right where he sprays. He still sprays but next to it..
I have tried Aluminum paper so he did not jump on the counter that works.
But It doesnt work under the patio door and windows.
Feliway spray didn't work. I even sprayed his collar with feliway, he was more friendly but still sprays.
I cleaned and cleaned the spots with a pheromone spray and enzyme cleaner.
There is one thing I just tried this morning, my cats loves the smell of gum, mint, hair shampoo,tooth paste. When he gets a wiff he starts rolling on the floor, he like getting a high in a way.. Anyways I just cleaned the patio door with hot water and mint listerine. This afternoon he went towards the patio door and smelled the door and started rubbing him face and rolling on the floor.. He did not spray so far,right now Drugs are the only thing left I guess that I could try. I am always trying different stuff with him.\
Last thing I give him lots of love and affection. Don't know what else I can do..
Old October 11th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by We love pets View Post
right now Drugs are the only thing left I guess that I could try.
What about blocking his view out of the lower part of the windows, as has been previously suggested?

Old October 12th, 2008, 09:39 AM

I will have to try that trick, just simple white paper will do?
So Far he hasn't sprayed, I was will him all day. He likesthe smell of mint listerine and water, but I would have to spray this at my windows everyday?
Anyways I will be gone for most of the day, hopefully he will be good. I checked the link that was provided with the behaviorist, $300 for a visit, wow thats alot of money.

Thank you for all the great tips and have a nice long weekend!!
Old October 12th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Rottie owner and lover

DR Enid styles I believe is a behaviorist, I do not know if she works with cats though. She is at the pfds animal hospital
Old October 12th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Catlover2

The problem with putting up paper is that it's probably not just the sight of seeing another cat out the window, but of actually smelling it. Cats have a terrific sense of smell and seem to be able to smell a cat outside even if the window's shut. I don't think this will work, but it's worth a try. And if the listerine/water solution is working, just keep it up until you think he's forgotten about spraying. Just having this behaviour broken may be enough.
Old October 12th, 2008, 10:23 PM

Can anyone explain what are stud pants?? And how do they work...Can a cat pee and poo with that thing on?
I checked some websites but can't find any more info and how they work.
Old October 14th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Catlover2

I mentioned in a previous post about "stud pants", tho I didn't call them that. No, a cat cannot poo with them on, but it prevents cat from spraying or breeding. I'm not sure if you can buy them in a pet store, some people make them for sale, but if you can sew you could make your own. I made my own. Here is what they look like, and I suggest you use a panty liner or wad of toilet paper in them.
http://www.cat-world.com.au/StudOveralls.htm
http://www.castlepaws.net/bibs.html

In a pinch, perhaps a baby diaper (newborn size) might work, but you'd have to cut a hole for the tail.

Last edited by catlover2; October 14th, 2008 at 11:24 PM.
Old October 19th, 2008, 09:09 PM

Since the first day I started the meds and also sprayed my windows with mint listerine and water, my cat has been so good. Its been like almost a week and he has not sprayed. I think he might of did it once this week, but I am not finding anything at my windows at all. I know the scent of the mix of water and mint listerine must be gone but he hasn't sprayed. Must be the meds also, but its only been maybe 10 days he has been taking them. He sleeps a little more often, but apart from that its like I have my old Willy back. Hopefully he will continue like this.