Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old September 29th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

So why did it take me so long to cook for the dogs

All of our dogs have been picky, picky eaters. Freddie was horrible to feed, Yogi wasn't much better. We tried every kind of kibble and wet food and all combinations. We always threw out more uneaten dinners than I care to remember. Now these two were following the same trend. They like the kibble, it was finding a good wet food that I could mix with it that was the trick. They won't eat the kibble on its own, so I'd get a good new canned food and they'd love it for a couple of meals and then go off it again. Frustrating to say the least. Ever since I started cooking the chicken thighs for them and my beef stew mixtures, sometimes just with beef, other times with pork and chicken livers in the mix, I end up with shiny clean bowls every day. I still mix it with a good quality kibble, usually a mix of Orijen fish and Natures Variety Instinct chicken, but I'll toss other kibbles in the mix for a change now and then. I use the chicken thighs one day and then the beef mix the next. Moisten the whole dinner with a little low sodium chicken or beef broth and they just wipe out their dinners every night.
Now how come it took me so long to even think about doing this? I mean how block headed can a person be.

Cindy
Old October 10th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Obsessed animal lover

I know what you mean!!! My dog was so picky when I fed her kibble, it drove me crazy!!! Since I had to add warm water to it (which is good to do if you feed kibble anyway), I couldn't keep it till her next feeding and she wouldn't eat it without the water (or if I put too much water - ugh). I now feed her Canine Life puppy muffins. They come frozen, ready made or you can buy the pre-mix and add other ingredients. I use the pre-mix and add meat (ground turkey, chicken, beef), safflower oil, blueberries or raspberries, an apple, an orange veggie (like butternut squash, sweet potato, carrot), and a green veggie (like green beans, zucchini or broccoli). You mix it all together with the pre-mix and bake into muffins or a loaf. I let Kiri lick the bowls and muffin tins afterwards. She loves it and her coat and vitality are amazing. I like that I can use different meats, veggies etc every batch. Each batch makes 20 muffins and she gets a muffin a day or more if she's more active on a particular day. I usually make 27 muffins at a time as the meat comes in 1 lb. packages and the recipe calls for 1.5 lbs (for an adult dog). They smell good enough to eat myself!! I had started buying the pre-made muffins at the beginning but thought it would get too expensive so I switched back to kibble. But now that I bake them myself, it costs the same as a high quality kibble. It's worth watching her run to her bowl and devour it.