Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 21st, 2008, 01:30 PM

Can Kitty sprain his ankle?

H, I'm new to this site and have a question about a possible injury to my lovely kitty Lugosi. Two nights ago he started hiding under the bed, and when he finally came out he was favouring one of his hind legs. He will come out and use his box or eat and have some water, but otherwise he sits under the bed, which isn't altogether that unusual for him. The limp, however, is. His back leg looks a little swollen around the paw and under the knee, and I was wondering if maybe he could have twisted it? He is making the transition from being an indoor cat to a carefully supervised outdoor cat, but I'm wondering if maybe he, in trying to catch a fly or something, maybe fell and hurt his foot. Does anyone have any experience with this? He is otherwise healthy and active. Thanks!!
Old September 21st, 2008, 01:47 PM
Slave to Tonks

You didn't mention how old he is. Is it possible he has calici? It's kind of like a flu but it causes kitties to limp. My little guy had it but he was only 3 months and had just been vaccinated.
Old September 21st, 2008, 02:04 PM

Injured Kitty

He's two years, and had all his vaccines updated about a year ago with no ill effects. He's due pretty soon for his yearly visit I think, but he's always gotten a clean bill of health.
Old September 21st, 2008, 02:08 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Usually the calicivirus comes with a fever, are you able to take your kitty's temp? If your kitty does have a fever, your cat should be seen by a vet as he can become dehydrated quickly and may need some subcutaneous fluids.

Please keep your kitty inside or outside harness, supervised only, there are dangers outside that can kill your cat.

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 21st, 2008, 03:01 PM
Senior Contributor

I would take your cat to a vet to have his leg checked out. Someone I know had a young cat that injured itself trying to jump on a bookshelf, and what they thought was a sprained "ankle" turned out to be a broken leg. The swelling and hiding under the bed is concerning and your guy may be in a fair amount of pain.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old September 21st, 2008, 03:14 PM
-

I agree and would take your cat to the vet asap. A cat that is in pain will always hide somewhere. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old September 21st, 2008, 07:27 PM

Well, this cat is almost always under the bed, so that's not that unusual. He was from a rescue shelter and most likely had a tough first few weeks. We've recently had to move him across the country, so with that scary experience and all, he chills where he feels safe.

He doesn't seem overly sick, just limpy. He has been walking around, playing gently and moving. He let me take a good look at the foot and manipulate it. Would he have let me do that if it hurt him really badly? I saw on another site that swelling can be a symptom of a wasp bite? Does anyone have experience with that? Since we've just moved I'm trying to get a vet appointment for him, but am concerned about the short notice.