Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 20th, 2008, 12:45 AM

Question How to make my cat and dog get along???

Hi,

Could anyone give my some ideas of how to make my cat and dog get along?

I recently adopted a nine month old puppy into the house, he's very active and likes to run around. I also have a 4 years old cat, she's very shy and reserve.

The puppy has been to the house for almost 2 months now. And the cat is getting used to see the dog in the house, but really dislikes him. She always hissing at the dog when he's near, and then run away.

Before, the puppy was very friendly to the cat, making a friendly sound, and wants to approach her. But now, when he sees my cat, he'll chase after and even barks at her sometimes.

I don't wish them to become friends. But at least the cat not to hissing at the dog, and the dog not to chase and bark at the cat. >_<

Any suggestions???
Old September 20th, 2008, 02:09 AM
Live well, laugh often

I would make sure the cat has a safe place to easily get away from the puppy if necessary. Keep a leash attached to the puppy and every time the puppy goes to go after the cat you should gently correct him and say something like "no chase". It is also important that you try to be proactive and head off any chases before they happen. If you can get the cat close to the puppy I would suggest giving them some yummy treats when they are in close proximity and calm.

Once the cat realizes the puppy isn't going to hurt him they should come to an understanding and things will be ok.

Good luck .
Old September 20th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi Happynlala, welcome to the board.

First of all, do not let your puppy chase the cat. EVER. This sets a bad precedent. But don't yell at him if he does, as the cat will also think you're yelling at her. Plus it raises the excitement level for everyone involved. You need to prevent the chases from happening in the first place. You're going to have to really work on your puppy's obedience, but in the meantime, tethering him to you while the cat is around is a great idea. Please read this link for some good info: http://www.labadoption.org/linkpages...icles/Cats.pdf

Good luck!

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old September 21st, 2008, 12:04 PM

dog to cat introductions

good day...

my sister adopted a 3 year lab rottie cross a year ago today and she had two older cats...
they are just starting to be in the same room without restraints but always with supervision and ability for the cats to escape.

it has taken a concerted effort on her part..she was told the dog was good with cats...now she knows better because Buddy wanted to know cats but was very aggressive..so cats reacted badly and for the most part they never stay in same room...she deserves a medal for trying....
but I did learn that rubbing each other ( cat and dog) with towels and trading them around ...will get the cat and dog to smell the same
my friends took that route and it did take time (month or so) but apparently they are friends now plus
keep the dog away from the cat's litter box altogether because he it is likely he will force cat off her litter..just when she thinks it is ok to go....plus dogs like to eat the contents of the litter box
good luck