Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old September 9th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Albert's mommy

Stacer;

Yes I'm in Chicago. I am very lucky to be surrounded by Pet Supplies Plus, the best place imo to get all the good brands. I don't think Orijen is available here. But they can find the full line of Wellness, Innova, Solid Gold, Merricks as well as a popular local brand called Evangers. They are the only place around here that carries Canidae too. Although I know that's been all reformulated recently..and I'm not well versed on the ups and downs...at one point I had much success with it.

They don't have tons of locations. But you can search on their site www.petsuppliesplus.com to find one, hopefully near them.

I happen to be near like 5 of them! I also find that they have a great selection of other products, accessories, and I always feel their prices are really competitive. I can buy treats in bulk too, which is nice. Even bird seed is available in bulk.

Anyway, If you want to PM me with their town maybe I can find some other places too. I know that if the place is close enough, it gives you a better chance of switching them over!!

With me living in a city that is super dog friendly..there are tons of doggie 'health' stores opening up..where I can find raw, real meat treats, supplements, Abady canned food (which is excellent may I add...just not readily available) etc. It does help when I'm 'converting' someone to say 'look, it's just 5 miles away...you can take your dog in..they have really nice stuff!'

If there's anything else I can do to help with local stuff..please let me know!!

Maybe I can stalk them and leave little bags of Wellness on their doorstep!
Old September 12th, 2008, 02:52 PM

I feel for you on this point! I TRY so hard to explain how bad Science Diet, Iams, and Pedigree are, and NO ONE listens to me. I feed Wellness Core, and they also laugh that i spend more than $10-$12 on bag of dog food... I just take them with a grain of salt. My dog is MUCH happier and healthier than theirs, and the wellness core ACTUALLY seems to be helping with his allergies!

Dont let them get you down! YOU are doing whats right and good for your dog!
Old September 12th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Kitty pimp

i simpy say i try to feed myself the best food i can afford and so do my pets
Old September 19th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Ah, yes, the usual ignorant arguments. IMO, one of the best educational sites is here:
http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index....e=labelinfo101

It explains AAFCO, dog food ingredients, etc in easy to understand and very eye-opening explanations. An excellent read on many of these topics. I also wanted to copy and paste a post I did in my Boston Terrier forum when another member made similar comments.

Here first is the comments by the other member. I left the name out:

I must be a really bad pet owner, I have to say I have used Science Diet for 25 years, my dogs have lived to be 15-18 years, all healthy, I have never had major vet bills.
A while back I decided to try and switch to an Organic diet for Izzy , and she went right down hill, It cost me 200.00 in vet bills to get her back to health.

I have discussed this with my Vet several times, and have decided I am not harming my dogs, they are healthy dogs, and live to ripe ole ages and just leave this world naturally.

I wonder if we are brained washed into feeling guilty by pet food manufacters that we are being horrible pet owners if we do not spend 100.00 a bag for dry food for our pets.

The new rage is home cooking for you pets, WAIT, WHAT??? People food for our pets? My parents did that when I was growing up, it was called table scrapes LOL.

It is all so confusing

Okay enough rant on my side.

And here was my response:

No, of course it doesn't make you a terrible pet owner. But I have to admit cringing at many of your statements, just because there is a lot of research available showing the exact opposite. If it really concerns or interests you, I would highly recommend doing some research on the topic. I think you'll be pretty surprised at what you learn!

To just quickly address a few things you mentioned:

1. There is no advertising of the higher quality brands. They rely on word of mouth and customer loyalty. There is no pushing of their ideas or brain washing being done. It is ONLY being done by consumers ourselves and by published case studies from Universiites and Animal Nutrionists. Word of mouth spreads by those wanting something better for their dogs and understanding that something better is available. I think it is actually unfortunate that some of the higher quality brands don't advertise to try to reach the broader consumer.

2. Obviously, food and nutrition are a huge part of pet health, but are not the only factors involved. In the same way you can survive just fine eating McDonalds for life, pets can survive eating lower quality food. A lot of us have stories of childhood dogs that ate "grocery store" dog food and lived to a ripe old age. But a lot more people have stories of the opposite. Commercialized pet food began 80 years ago. Since then, there is a huge increase in the instances of disease in pets. Anything from cancer to tooth decay to obesity, to kidney failure. Purdue University has published studies showing remarkable links between the commercialization of dog food and the poor quality ingredients and the increase in pet health problems. It is a very interesting and eye opening read. It is also an interesting read to find out the definition of many of the chemicals being put in lower quality foods and their scientific connection to disease. Not every individual dog will develop problems. But the overwhelming percentage that do is really scary. What is even more scary is that these studies are not bringing change to ingredient lists because dog food ingredient lists are not regulated beyond very loose AAFCO guidelines that were established at the same time dog food was commercialized. Even more disturbing is the fact that ingredient lists are not regulated, meaning that the wording and even the order of many dog food ingredients are decieiving and incorrect by the end of the cooking process. I have said it before and I'll say it again. I challenge anyone who feeds grocery store quality pet food to try a higher quality food and you will see just how much better it can be. To your statement that you tried one brand, it sounds like there was a food allergy. You can have a reaction with any food, low or high quality. That is not an accurate or fair comparision to say one brand equals all brands of high quality food are bad for my dog. It even could have been your dog's system detoxing itself. Lower quality brands are chock full of fillers and stool hardeners to make it appear more agreeable with any dogs system. They then coat it all in lard to make it irresistible to dogs. But as we well know, dogs don't always know what is good for them. Again, think McDonalds vs fresh meals for your child.

3. Your vet is not going to be well versed on animal nutrition and is not an authority on dog food. To pass vet school, vets are required to attend a two day course on nutrition that is led by guest speakers. Guess what. These guest speakers are sales reps from Purina and Hills. Many vets actually also recieve kick backs from these companies for endorsing these foods. There are countless testimonies from retired vets that they recommended these foods, even when they knew better, simply for the money. Whether it be from lack of education or from greed, a vet is usually not your best resource for food advice. Speak to an Animal Nutritionist as well and you'll get the facts, as backed by scientific study.

4. And yes, you are correct in a sense that the "new" rage of home feeding isn't that new after all. It is what people did for thousands of years until commercialized kibble was created 80 years ago. And guess what, our pets as an overall percentage, were much healthier back then. Rather ironic, wouldn't you think? The rage sweeping many animal lover forums isn't because it's a new concept; it's because of education and realization..none of which is advertised except for places like this. We come full circle.
Old September 19th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh sorry, another link I love to send to people when they challenge me on this whole issue:

http://thewholedog.org/id19.html

Another really good, scientific explanation!

On the Dog Food Project link, I forgot to mention to make sure you check out all the links to the various topics on the left side. EXCELLENT!
Old September 21st, 2008, 01:19 AM

@ lm9012

I also live in Chicago and just adopted a 6 month old puppy. Do you have any advice on where to go for raw food? I have Layla on Solid Gold Wolf Cub right now but would like to supplement it with some raw food. Tripe in particular. I live downtown and don't have a car, so I'm hoping to find something in the city.